I know - first world problems.....

M

Matt Bo Eder

So I have a rehearsal tomorrow night with Bermuda's cover band for an upcoming gig this Saturday, and I was so jazzed about the thermagloss Queen kit and hauling it out for rehearsal and the gig, that I'm being stopped by a rental car!

Yes - my trusty truck has finally attempted to nickel and dime me one last time and ended up getting traded in for another car. The only problem is the new used car I bought developed some problems on the second day and is back with the dealer to be fixed. They sent me to Hertz and rented me a nice new Ford Fusion to drive until my car is done.

Of course, this means I can only fit about four of my smaller Pearl MMC drums in it with a few stands - so I'm going out with my standard 4-piece kit. And normally I wouldn't be bummed if I didn't want to use these thermagloss Luddies so bad.

In true first-world fashion, I must ask, Why Me?

Anyone in the SoCal area want to be my cartage guy tomorrow and Saturday? You just need a van big enough to carry the Ludwigs ;)

I'm taken back to a time when you tried to convince me you could run a gig using only half a snare (gross exaggeration, but you know ------- :), & now you're getting all "new toy" over your transport frustration. If you really want to "stadiumise" Bermuda's gig, pony up & rent a van!

I regularly used to move a 6pc kitwith a 24x16 BD around in a Ford Mondeo (what a Fusion is called in the rest of the world) along with two other people. The new version is bigger than the old as well. You should be easily able to get everything bar the BD and maybe a tom in the trunk/boot and the other BD/tom on the back seat.

You could have an uber driver (or two!) follow you with your stuff packed into their cars.

...or use the set you used the last time you subbed for him and save all of the drama.

Hi to the guys and gals, have fun!

Used to gig driving a Mini (original one)
10,12,14ft,16ft ,22x16 BD, snare hardware and cymbals.

Ford Fusion/Mondeo would be luxury in comparison :)

Cheers
Mick

I'm taken back to a time when you tried to convince me you could run a gig using only half a snare (gross exaggeration, but you know ------- :), & now you're getting all "new toy" over your transport frustration. If you really want to "stadiumise" Bermuda's gig, pony up & rent a van!

And I can still do that. But the size difference between a 16x22 and a 16x26 is what's stopping me. I'll contact Hertz to see if they're authorized to give me something bigger, because the dealership is paying for the rental in the first place.

That reminds me of a few years ago when I got a killer deal on a 26" Starclassic kick drum, the fact that my car at the time was a VW Golf didn't even cross my mind until I went to load up the drum!
I had to push the passenger seat all the way forward and do some crazy maneuvering with the drum to get it in my backseat. I originally intended on buying a matching rack tom and floor tom but once I saw prices I changed my mind, I ended up selling it for three times what I paid for it and got a Starclassic Performer kit from 1999 with a 24" kick, 14x12 rack tom and an 18x16 floor tom!

Back