I just need to get this off my chest.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
This just hit a cord.
I did a show a couple months ago, just us and a national act.
No problem with the band or drummer, cool guys, we got along great.

Upon gig offer, was asked if my kit could be used for the show and our amps also. They were doing a fly in and fly out.
OK, being paid for it, made it clear, NO CYMBALS.

Day of show, guess what??.....

I find out it's in their contract that the venue supplies everything--including cymbals.
Got paid more, but was pissed ( & got over it), and had some words with the head of the venue, who in turn had some words for the dope who booked the show and was TOLD I was NOT providing cymbals.
I'm still pissed about that guy who booked us in the show, but not shocked because another show with him involved that I played at had complete SHIT backline gear.
2 strikes for that guy in my book.

Peedy

I’m guessing your kit isn’t a cheap one you got on eBay like mine. And if it WERE mine, I’d still be livid.

Pete

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Just curious, what national act uses a local opener’s kit?? Backline used for a headliner is normally provided by a rental company. How does that drummer know what they’re getting? Suppose there aren’t enough toms or cymbals? Does the drummer even care? What national act has a drummer who doesn’t care???

Bermuda

HeadForTheSticks

Just curious, what national act uses a local opener’s kit?? Backline used for a headliner is normally provided by a rental company. How does that drummer know what they’re getting? Suppose there aren’t enough toms or cymbals? Does the drummer even care? What national act has a drummer who doesn’t care???

Bermuda
I should have put "national act" in quotes because that's how the band was hyped and promoted for the show mentioned. They are a local band who have been touring and opening for big named, well known acts recently. I didn't disclose the bands name as to not step in toes or jeopardize my bsnds5

Bermuda
I should have put "national act" in quotes because that's how the band was being hyped and promoted for this show. They are a local band that has been touring and opening for well known acts recently. I didn't mention their name to protect my bands future opportunities with the venue and organizers. In the past this venue would provide a backline kit that I was told was "broken". As I mentioned, I had shared the bill with two of the other bands at different venues and on occasion even shared my kit with those bands. That's why I felt comfortable at this show sharing my kit. And the agreement was that all bands use their own "breakables" which they all adhered to. For a guy like me just hacking around in local clubs because I love what we do (7 piece band with horns) it was a tough lesson to learn.
Hope that puts it in perspective Bermuda. Btw, I'm in awe of your skills and accomplishments.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I should have put "national act" in quotes because that's how the band was hyped and promoted for the show mentioned. They are a local band who have been touring and opening for big named, well known acts recently. I didn't disclose the bands name as to not step in toes or jeopardize my bsnds5
Name and shame, don't protect utter douches.

Other bands needs to be made aware of stunts like this because this doesn't sound like an isolated incident. I wouldn't care about stepping on toes, they weren't bothered about stepping on your bass drum!

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member

Bermuda
In my case, the band was Autogragph. We had played a show with them before with Vince Neil.
I also used to rent one of my kits (not cymbals) to Steve Riley when LA Guns played in the Detroit area.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Even if she was hot, she'd still get a stick to the leg from me. You know money for a damaged drum ain't coming your way, so get lost sister!!
Well handled, brother.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I allowed a "friend" to use my kit at a party because his was . . . uh, shall we say, junk? Anyway, as the gig progressed, he became more and more incensed that the bass drum kept creeping away in the middle of songs. But, he found a fast and effective way to secure the bass drum by NAILING MY BASS DRUM TO THE STAGE FLOOR!!!!!!!! Yep. Just like that and I had a bass drum with a new anchoring point provided. The offending guy offered to have my bass drum replaced - until he sobered up the next day and realized what he had done.

GeeDeeEmm

KEEF

For the last time.... NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, E V E R let anyone else use your gear.
I too have a complete and absolute ' just say no ' policy. The only time I EVER let anyone sit at my kit, the first thing they did was move the snare and crunch the bottom rim into the BD hoop and take a chunk out of it. (My DW collectors was only a month old at the time!)

Woolwich

Silver Member
Two years ago I did a gig where the drummer with the first band on is well known and respected in the area and by reputation a significantly better drummer than me. Because I was in the second band on, after I soundchecked he turned out to be the first person to play my new kit in gig conditions. He had a bass drum pedal with a base plate and clamp that he attached mis aligned. The chunk/gouge it put on the inside edge of the bass drum hoop has been there for me to see every time I’ve subsequently set up and is the only blemish on my otherwise genuinely pristine 2 year old kit.
If I’m ever put in a situation where my kit is expected to be used again I’ll decline the gig if an alternative solution can’t be found, admittedly an easier option for me than others as kit sharing for pub bands is a rare occurrence.

Erberderber

Strange, back in the 90s I played around 20 gigs over an 18 month period all over Kent, England, most with at least one other band playing and only twice did I not play my own kit. At the multiple band gigs, it was normal for every drummer to bring their own kit and nobody shared anything. It seemed to work. I don't recall any changeovers going on forever or any big mix-ups, so it obviously can be done.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Three things that don't get loaned out - my drums, the pool stick, and the car.
I have a good friend that will let me borrow just about ANYTHING of his. He has tons of gear, and he said I'm absolutely welcome to any of it at any time....except for microphones. He said he's had more people return his mics in much worse shape than when they left more times than not. He says it's nothing personal (and I absolutely believe him), but he says I'm free to use anything of his except any and all microphones he has.

Woolwich

Silver Member
I have a good friend that will let me borrow just about ANYTHING of his. He has tons of gear, and he said I'm absolutely welcome to any of it at any time....except for microphones. He said he's had more people return his mics in much worse shape than when they left more times than not. He says it's nothing personal (and I absolutely believe him), but he says I'm free to use anything of his except any and all microphones he has.
At the risk of sounding like a bringer of doom, he won't lend mics out because he's had them come back in much worse shape than when they left. Hopefully he doesn't have the same thing happen to the other stuff he loans out, but when he gets that first cracked cymbal, scuffed bass drum, or stripped hardware thread perhaps he'll add other items to his list of gear he won't loan.

To look at things from an angle that's rarely taken, I'd always look at ways to use my own gear rather than somebody else's. That's not me being afraid to adapt or anything, it's simply respect for other people's possessions and me not wanting to unwittingly damage something, or more likely be the person on who's watch something breaks after reaching the end of it's unforseen lifespan.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I guess drums are like pets you get all attached then someone runs over injuring them. At least it survived and you realize you need to protect them.

mikyok

Platinum Member
To look at things from an angle that's rarely taken, I'd always look at ways to use my own gear rather than somebody else's. That's not me being afraid to adapt or anything, it's simply respect for other people's possessions and me not wanting to unwittingly damage something, or more likely be the person on who's watch something breaks after reaching the end of it's unforseen lifespan.
Not odd at all, I'm exactly the same. It's called having respect for other peoples hard earned instrument. I don't let anyone else use my kit so I expect every drummer worth their salt to be exactly the same and I'm totally cool with it.

We had a gig with another band on the bill which is rare for us. We were told they were cool with us using the backline even though we were last on. We bought all our gear and they got to go home to their families early. It's amazing how being professional makes other bands warm to you!

On the flip side show up with nothing but a smile be prepared to get both barrells, a cancelled gig and a wasted journey.

trickg

Silver Member
Back in 2012 I became the drummer for a friend's indie band, and I played along for a while until the douchey lead singer decided he was too good to play covers so we could play bars and actually make some money, but I digress.

I allowed my kit to be the backline kit once. I will NEVER do it again. My Pearl 800 series snare stand that I'd had for almost 10 years at that point got tightened down so hard that it eventually stripped out a couple of weeks later. (Fortunately I was able to take the tightening collar off of an extra 800 series boom stand I had and wasn't using to repair it, and I still use it) The heads? Forget about it - completely ruined. The shells, hoops and cymbal stands all seemed to come through it ok, but I didn't appreciate having to replace all of my batter heads - even the kick head had a huge dent in it, which was amazing considering that I use Remo Falam Slam patches.

I swore I'd never allow my kit to be the backline kit again, and we had one more show where they asked if one of the bands could use the kit as the backline kit and no one was biting - that was the reason I did it the first time - but I stuck to my guns. I'm blown away how abusive drummers can be with gear.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
At the risk of sounding like a bringer of doom, he won't lend mics out because he's had them come back in much worse shape than when they left. Hopefully he doesn't have the same thing happen to the other stuff he loans out, but when he gets that first cracked cymbal, scuffed bass drum, or stripped hardware thread perhaps he'll add other items to his list of gear he won't loan.
I think I need to emphasize he offered to let ME borrow anything, not just anyone. :) The only things I've every really borrowed from him were things he wanted to sell me, so he lets me try them out. I think there's only been a couple of snares that I tried out that I didn't need; everything else has been drum kits that I've bought. I've bought 4 different kits from him over the years, so he's definitely taken a lot of my money. :)