I just heard that Zildian 86d Paul Francis.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Nobody who isn’t a drummer is qualified to run a drum or cymbal company. Play a paradiddle, you corporate demons.
Running a company involves a lot more than simply knowing its product, customers, and legacy. But that's important as well, and it's really not enough to just be told the story of the company when you walk in. The person needs a balance of both. Just putting a dedicated player and fan of the product in charge doesn't mean they're suited to make smart business decisions.

I don't know if Stephans plays an instrument, but I have to assume that it would have been mentioned if he did. Maybe just short-sighted on that initial press release?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Running a company involves a lot more than simply knowing its product, customers, and legacy…. Just putting a dedicated player and fan of the product in charge doesn't mean they're suited to make smart business decisions

Very true. But the thought that someone would run a cymbal company who had no special passion for music is a little concerning to me. Especially one with the history of Zildjian. Remember how John DeLorean was such a successful car executive? It’s because he was in tune with customers’ passions about cars.

bermuda

Staff member
But the thought that someone would run a cymbal company who had no special passion for music is a little concerning to me.
There are many examples of such brilliant businessmen making poor suggestions/decisions because they really don't know the product. They treat every company like their product is a common widget, and that's just not true. I have personal experience with such managers both inside and outside of the MI industry, and I've seen and heard some interesting, counter-intuitive, and just plain stupid decisions being made. Sometimes clearer heads prevailed, sometimes not!

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
There are many examples of such brilliant businessmen making poor suggestions/decisions because they really don't know the product. They treat every company like their product is a common widget, and that's just not true. I have personal experience with such managers both inside and outside of the MI industry, and I've seen and heard some interesting, counter-intuitive, and just plain stupid decisions being made. Sometimes clearer heads prevailed, sometimes not!

Who is the most passionate CEO you know of in the MI industry? In drums, is it John Good?

dmacc_2

Corporate stuff..... Eventually it happens.. Ask me how I know.. No wait, don't.

Zildjian will experience the pains of mismanagement is my guess. Years from now they will spend more than they should to correct it. Assuming they aren't acquired by another organization first.

C.M. Jones

I just cant see this as a reason to jump ship, or at least stop buying a product.
Neither can I. When a team I support parts ways with a coach I like, I don't abandon the team on that basis. Visions change and strategies evolve. Nothing in the world of commerce is eternal, except the profit motive. It's important to keep the realities of business in perspective. Knee-jerk responses to ambiguous developments are rarely productive.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Agreed... I think they are putting out their best stuff in decades.. Thanks to Paul.

Hopefully it doesn't revert back.
What are these bad Zildjians anyhow? I've never been a cymbal brand fanboy, so I'm not familiar with what was so awful about Zildjians decades ago.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Keep the quality.
Continue evolving and improving.
Listen to customers.
Listen to the most experienced employees.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I'm not sure what the big deal is.

I don't think Zildjian has been the same company since Armand passed away in 2002. I think they made some questionable business decisions right after Armand passed. I used to know numerous people who worked for Zildjian and none of them have been there in a long time.

But that doesn't mean I think that's changed the sound of the cymbals or much of anything else.

I still use Zildjian sticks. Still love 'em.

I want to buy some non-Zildjian cymbals in the future, but that has nothing to do with who's working there or not working there.

bermuda

Staff member
Who is the most passionate CEO you know of in the MI industry? In drums, is it John Good?
John absolutely lives and breathes Drum Workshop, and he's a genuine wood fanatic.

There are many others though, and I'd say the smaller the company, the more passionate the leader is. For example, Bill at Pork Pie loves what he does, as do Jay at Noble & Cooley, and Ronn Dunnett. But that doesn't mean the large companies are soulless. Uli Salazar is the best thing that's happened to Ludwig in a long time (he's not the head of the company, but he's getting there!), and Andy at Sabian is a smart, passionate leader.