I just discovered something

Salty Dog

Hey everyone,
just figured something out this week while trying to increase my bass drum playing speed with my right foot. Turns out I'm a lefty when it comes to lower limbs but I'm right handed. You see the problem there? I should have know all along since my left foot is always my go-to foot when I play soccer.

How would you attack this problem? I have rarely played double-bass but I know for sure that if I switch my kit around that my single bass drum playing will automatically improve by playing it with the left foot? It's that obvious.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Joe

I am the same : right handed for writing drawing, and lefty for soccer (football down here). Though I know that since I was able to shoot in a ball.
I haven't felt any problem on the drum kit, I play a right handed kit forever and I don't feel my right foot too dumb. The advantage I have is that when I play double bass, my left foot isn't weak at all. If you really feel problem of power or dexterity with your right foot : one solution would be in increasing foot training.

Playing on a right handed kit with the left pedal of double pedal is gonna be a pain when someone will lend his kit.

While I'm primarily a lefty, there are a lot of things I can only do righty. Anything I swing or shoot is right-handed. Most everything else if left-handed. When I played soccer, I was left-footed, but was fair with my right.

I grew up playing drums right-handed, but sometimes lead with my left hand. Makes some fills awkward if I don't think about it ahead of time. I kept thinking if I switched to lefty drums, the awkwardness would go away. Not happening. Fills were easier, but I guess after playing so many years right-footed, I cannot play a decent bass beat with my left foot (I don't play double).

Just a question. Why does your BD pedal speed need to be faster? Is it a genre requirement, personal satisfaction or is the speed you have now just too slow for everyday playing?

Yes, plenty of thoughts on this subject. That's a link to an article with someone arguing for all the reasons your natural handedness/"footedness" are very important, vs. me arguing why they're not important at all-- at least as far as drumming is concerned. Basically, the skill you acquire from practicing far outweighs whatever natural ability you have with one limb vs another; and all of the proposed solutions to this opposite handed/footed thing create at least as many problems as they solve.

What I recommend is practicing more to get your bass drum technique together. Since you accidentally came up with a left foot BD technique that seems better than your right foot technique, you could try to make your right foot copy your left.

Just a question. Why does your BD pedal speed need to be faster? Is it a genre requirement, personal satisfaction or is the speed you have now just too slow for everyday playing?

I was wondering the same. I think another possible way to look at this is to consider what can you do with your stronger foot on the hi-hat.

If you don't NEED the extra speed, revel in the opportunities you have for extra high hat dexterity.

I am the same : right handed for writing drawing, and lefty for soccer (football down here). Though I know that since I was able to shoot in a ball.
I haven't felt any problem on the drum kit, I play a right handed kit forever and I don't feel my right foot too dumb. The advantage I have is that when I play double bass, my left foot isn't weak at all. If you really feel problem of power or dexterity with your right foot : one solution would be in increasing foot training.

Playing on a right handed kit with the left pedal of double pedal is gonna be a pain when someone will lend his kit.

Thanks for the feedback. I know right, the obvious thing would be to go practicing harder and I should & will.

Play open handed on a lefty set up.

Well that is out of the box thinking right there Troy. I'm not a fan of the open handed playing but I need to re-set my kit after some fine-tuning & serious cleaning and I might just try it out to have a clear conscience. Thanks.

Either this, or get a remote hi-hat stand and a remote kick drum pedal.

If you go this route, I refuse to be your drum tech. :)

I played & supplied the backline kit for a festival this summer and there was a guy who did exactly that! Double pedal and remote hihat stand, was real trippy watching him play from behind the stage.

Back