I just bought the riser I used to have, only smaller. Wow!

Blisco

So, many years ago, I was one of the first people to order an Intellistage riser in 8X8. That was a really cool riser but it was huge! Even with my ridiculous kit on it.

I sold it after I realized that many of the rooms we played, I could not use it. I would bring it to a new place and usually end up with it left in my van.

Jump to 2014 and I've been with my new band for 17 months and we are having some decent success as a local cover band. The need for a riser to compliment our stage show etc has been on my mind. The idea of making a riser was appealing due to cost. In the end, I came back to that amazing riser I used to have. Today I ordered a new one.

Specs: 6X6 with 16" riser.

With my experience the first time around, I knew the sharp corners and the large size would be a hinderance on stage. Road Ready has added more options over the years, so I went with a rounded front end this time. This should make it easier to walk around and it trims wasted space off the edges.

Yeah, it wasn't cheap but it is by far the most portable, stable riser you can buy. And breaking it down is a 5 minute deal. I will likely be able to use it 80+% of the time too. Very excited to get it next week.

Here's a pic of the former 8X8. Keep in mind how big that kit is too.

In action. Singer's (female) birthday party gig. Riser used as decorations. haha

I'm hoping this much more sensible 5 piece will fit on there. I may have to adjust just a couple of legs.

You guys know it's okay to reply, right? hehe

So, I was able to get this up and running with some of my daughters stackable crates.

And lo and behold...it fits! Perfectly. Now, to get that short riser replaced with the correct one.
Very excited to start using this nearly every weekend.
Witness:

I never used a skirt before, as I liked the look. Should I skirt this?

Platforms are only 1.25" and pretty light. Set up is a breeze too. It's just more gear to haul around. But for those 4 hours, it's worth it.

I'm going to skip a skirt for now and see how it goes.

nice! I like the skirt idea until you mention lights or fog. That made me think twice. I just think being able to see through it from audience perspective would not look as cool. Do you have a link to the vendor?

Awesome!! I will check out the vendor, I've been contemplating a riser as well.

Random question - is that a Ludwig Scissor arm off your floor tom, and if so is it the long or short version?

I'm using two of the long scissor arms. Off the hat and floor tom. I'm using a short arm on the bass drum. Very versatile and saves so much space and weight of stands.

i don't mean to hijack the thread, but what exactly is the purpose of a riser at club gigs and party gigs?

One of the byproducts of a riser is decoupling the kit from the floor. Much enhanced tone and sustain.

And because it LOOKS FREAKIN COOL!!

I realized I have a really good A/B pics to show the difference. We played this place in April and just recently. Here's the stage as provided by the venue for both. See what I mean? I believe you should put on a show. And visuals are a big, big part of it.

April:

September:

Last edited:
That's fair. It's a lot of money for sure. And it's not manditory at all. But this is my hobby and social life. I already bring 10k worth of gear to a bar gig. What's a little more if I'm having fun? A hobby that pays for itself is the best kind.

I failed to get any action shots on it's first gig (double headline bill) but I should get some decent shots this weekend.

It worked great as expected. Pretty easy to haul around. I can carry two panels at a time.

Here's some shots from Saturday night. Very nice room and plenty of room for the riser in the corner. I really don't take up more space than if I was on the floor. So far, so good. Let me know what you think.

Beautiful....I love the kit and riser. A riser, to me, is huge in getting a more pure miced drum sound and eliminating coupling to and from the stage or floor. I use a hover deck from Auralex just for home....it makes a big difference.

Now let's get some strobes under there and smoke machine ;-)

Very nice! I really like the look of the rounded front too. Like you, I use a riser at almost every gig. Mine is one that I made. It looks great but it's HEAVY. I might just look into one of these. Thanks for posting.

Looks like a bunch of my posts have fallen off. Oh well, here's some shots from Saturday night.

I also learned that this riser will support one lead singer in front and two drunk chicks back by me. It's beginning to pay off!!! LOL

I also added the back lights as a dedicated riser wash. Very pleased with them. I was able to mount the MegaBar to the top but failed to turn it on for these pics.

Back