I just bought a Tune-Bot Studio... What's your experience with it?

NickSchles

So, I've just bought a Tune-Bot Studio, and I'm very excited about it.

I decided to go for it for several reasons. Amongst these are helping me keep consistent tunings, experiment with suggested tunings but, most importantly, to help me improve my tuning skills by training my ears. Particularly when it comes to snare tunings... Do you suffer from snare envy sometimes?! I'm guessing we all do, and whilst I get cool tones out of my snares, I listen to other people's recordings and think "damn, how did they get it sounding like that?!"

Generally-speaking I tend to play it safe when doing recording sessions. Now, obviously it all depends on the session for which I'll tune accordingly! But for the most part I got the different kits tuned for the kind of stuff I get asked to do, or for my own stuff, like the tune below.

Anyhow, just thought I'd ask y'all if you have any tips, or how do y'all use it, and what's your experience with it is!

Thanks for sharing, and happy new year to ya!

Nick :)

Welcome to the club, Nick!

You're in for a treat. The number one piece of advice that I can give is to be patient with the device in the beginning. It's not difficult to use but some practice is required.

This into video from Mike Johnson is a good place to start:

I posted a spreadsheet/calculator a while back that goes way beyond what the official tune-bot app does. I'll try to find it again since it's an awesome resource.

Edit: Found it. Download to your computer and rename the file to end in "xlsx" so that it opens in Microsoft Excel.

You're in for a treat. The number one piece of advice that I can give is to be patient with the device in the beginning. It's not difficult to use but some practice is required.

I posted a spreadsheet/calculator a while back that goes way beyond what the official tune-bot app does. I'll try to find it again since it's an awesome resource.

Edit: Found it. Download to your computer and rename the file to end in "xlsx" so that it opens in Microsoft Excel.

Thanks, bud! I will check this out as well as download the file tomorrow! Exciting times!

I missed the post with the Excel, good stuff!
I'll experiment with it as well!

Got one - couldn't get on with it - sold it again.
I could get the 'at lug' tensions consistent but then the 'fundamental note' didn't match and it did not get me a good sound. If I tuned to the fundamental note setting, I got a better sound (but not a better sound than I was already getting tuning by ear imo) and then the at lug readings were all over the place. I really wanted to like this bit of kit. I've always thought my drums sounded' pretty good' but would love them to sound 'amazing' but- for me at least - it just didn't work. I gave it a good go too, wasn't just a 5 minute then give up thing. Frustrating and disappointing in equal measure.

Got one - couldn't get on with it - sold it again.
I could get the 'at lug' tensions consistent but then the 'fundamental note' didn't match and it did not get me a good sound. If I tuned to the fundamental note setting, I got a better sound (but not a better sound than I was already getting tuning by ear imo) and then the at lug readings were all over the place. I really wanted to like this bit of kit. I've always thought my drums sounded' pretty good' but would love them to sound 'amazing' but- for me at least - it just didn't work. I gave it a good go too, wasn't just a 5 minute then give up thing. Frustrating and disappointing in equal measure.
It doesn't quite sound like you were using it properly but that's alright - you have a method that you're happy with and that's what matters at the end of the day.

Another tip for anyone reading: if your numbers are all over the place as reported above - change the batteries even if the display says they're strong. Fresh batteries make a big difference.

It doesn't quite sound like you were using it properly but that's alright - you have a method that you're happy with and that's what matters at the end of the day.

Another tip for anyone reading: if your numbers are all over the place as reported above - change the batteries even if the display says they're strong. Fresh batteries make a big difference.
I'm not sure how I was using it wrong but that's the conclusion I came to as well.

Love my TuneBot. It really helped me understand how the batter and reso impact each other and how to fine tune tones out I didn't want. Before I was just guessing and mostly frustrated. I can tune without now, but still like it for a fine tuning tool.

There is a bit of a learning/frustration curve with a TuneBot and the more I use one the more I understand how to adjust my technique to avoid some of the little oddities.

The biggest one is making sure you use the filter button to keep from getting wild results.
I also use a soft mallet when tapping; the TuneBot has a harder time hearing the pitch clearly when there is too much attack. I've also had better luck tapping a little further from the edge; usually 1-1/2 to 2" from the edge gives a clearer pitch that's easier for the TuneBot to hear.
If I have a tension rod that doesn't change the pitch much when turning it I tune at the opposite lug instead. In fact I usually do one circle of the drum turning and tapping at the same lug, then another round tapping at the opposite lug from the rod I've turning. That helps ensure that one side of the head doesn't have more tension than the other and it keeps the heads seated as evenly as possible.

As I've used it more, I've also found that it takes a while for the lugs to get relatively close to each other. I've gotten the frequency number I'm seeking even though it's obvious that the head right at that lug is looser than others. So, by fingers pressing near each lug, I make sure they feel similarly taught. Then I start honing the numbers in working the opposite sides together then moving on to other opposite sides. It often takes 4-5 rounds between the lug pairs before they're obviously really in tune with each other. But when I get there, the drum sounds amazing!!!

As I've used it more, I've also found that it takes a while for the lugs to get relatively close to each other. I've gotten the frequency number I'm seeking even though it's obvious that the head right at that lug is looser than others. So, by fingers pressing near each lug, I make sure they feel similarly taught. Then I start honing the numbers in working the opposite sides together then moving on to other opposite sides. It often takes 4-5 rounds between the lug pairs before they're obviously really in tune with each other. But when I get there, the drum sounds amazing!!!
Yes! I do the same thing, though I think you explain it better!
Part of the trick of the TuneBot is knowing when to use your own tuning instincts and when to mindlessly do what it tells you. I get the best results when I apply a blend of the two.

Back