I just bought a "fake" Soultone ride from Sam Ash

That just makes me want to keep it! To think I bought a piece of salacious cymbal history for $100 at Sam Ash. Who'da thunk it?

BTW, if anyone else wants to own a piece of salacious cymbal history, they had another used Buzin/Soultone cymbal (same guy must have traded it in). This one was a crash, I think a 16" or thereabouts. I didn't notice the price since I wasn't looking for a crash, but I'm sure it's $100 or less. But hurry, if someone there sees this thread, they may just jack the price up!

(It was at the Sam Ash Hollywood Drum Shop, in case someone seriously wants it)

Info. says you're in Los Angeles. Soultone distrubution is located in Encino, I think. I'd contact them direct .... if you want any work done on the cymbal. Heck, they might just let you swap it out for one that's more to your liking. Or at least give you a discount.​

And they'll make you an "endorser" ;)

So how is Buzin properly pronounced?

Buzz-in

or

Booze-in

Accent on which syllable?

Very interesting, thanks for that info. This at least clears it up somewhat. As for the sound, I do like it, or I would never have bought it in the first place (no matter how cheap it was). At the store I was wailing on it at full volume, but when I got it home, I played it much quieter, like how I would actually play it at one of my jazz gigs. That's when I decided that I might want to have it lathed down a bit, not to totally change the sound, but to help it open up easier at lower volumes.

Still not sure what I'm going to do. I have a rare rehearsal coming up with my jazz trio in 2 weeks, so I think I should at least play it as-is in the correct jazz setting before deciding on anything.

I would say it is better to have a cymbal that is a little too heavy versus a little too thin. You can always grab lighter drumsticks, or if your kit is miked, reposition the overhead or adjust the volume on the mixing board. If you get it lathed down too much, then the cymbal might get lost in the mix if you are playing at an unmiked gig.

I would say it is better to have a cymbal that is a little too heavy versus a little too thin. You can always grab lighter drumsticks, or if your kit is miked, reposition the overhead or adjust the volume on the mixing board. If you get it lathed down too much, then the cymbal might get lost in the mix if you are playing at an unmiked gig.

Most of my jazz gigs will be unmic'ed, but I'm not worried about it getting lost in the mix since these will for the most part be very low volume gigs.

I haven't yet weighed my new ride, but I'm guessing it's somewhere around 2400-2500g. Generally I like the sound of 20" rides that are in the 2000-2100g range, so that they're very crashable, with a nice "tah" sound. Right now, it's in that middle ground between "tah" and "ping", and it's only somewhat crashable. Hence my thought about thinning it out a little, preferably by just lathing the underside and leaving the top alone.

That said, I'm not going to do anything unless I'm 100% sure about it. And I won't know that until I've played at least a few gigs with it.

for me it would come down to the sound.. want to live with it, keep it.. don't like it.. return. The name on it doesn't matter one bit

Fast Fwd 20 years- SOULTONE rides branded with the BUZIN label highly sought after in the jazz world, 20" versions in playable condition starting around $1,500 USD 22" can fetch north of $2k BUZIN's with the INFERNO label are even more sought after...

Fast Fwd 20 years- SOULTONE rides branded with the BUZIN label highly sought after in the jazz world, 20" versions in playable condition starting around $1,500 USD 22" can fetch north of $2k BUZIN's with the INFERNO label are even more sought after...

Here's hoping. BTW, I finally played it at a rehearsal last weekend, and I liked it a lot. So I'm going to keep that sucker as-is. Playing it with the other musicians, I could no longer hear the minor things that were making me want to relathing it.

Tomorrow I have my first gig with this ride, and it's a paid gig. Not sure yet how much, but I should hopefully get enough to cover what I paid for it.

Back