I just acquired this 1950 Gretsch Bop Kit

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I can't believe it, I made an eBay, "Best Offer" and it is mine.
I am shaking still, I did it, I finally bought the Round Badge!!! I feel like a contestant on one of those stupid game shows. I can't believe it.
For those of you who don't understand where I am coming from please go to my profile page and read my, "I Don't Want a Round Badge" thread.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200994438563?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Believe me, I am also confused :)
I guess that I was waiting for the right one to come along.

Cool. I saw that it has larger size drums even though it is described as a bop kit. I thought that was pretty interesting. I always have a soft spot for WMP because that was the finish of my very first kit.

In the early 1950's, Bop kits were larger sizes than they are today. If you look in the Gretsch catalogs of the era you will see the kit that I bought listed as a Bop Kit.

In the early 1950's, Bop kits were larger sizes than they are today. If you look in the Gretsch catalogs of the era you will see the kit that I bought listed as a Bop Kit.

Learn something new all the time!

Learn something new all the time!
I only recently learned it too. I was scanning through old drum catalogues and I realized that drum kits with this size bass drum were considered to be of small dimension at that time.
I also was surprised.

I've seen pics of older kits (conTRAPtions!) that had huge bass drums, probably converted marching drums. So it makes sense that the progression has been to smaller drums. I certainly wasn't aware of the timeline, or of the fact that Gretsch was calling them bop kits back then, though. Cool stuff!

Congratulations Bob, beautiful looking kit! Does that purchase complete your vintage collection?

Dutch

It is always permissible to change one's mind. ;-)

... and original calfskin heads!?! This seems like one of those "1957 corvette in a barn" stories!

Bravo!
radman

Bob...that is one beautiful kit.You do seem to have a thing for WMP,and 3 ply drums.They have to sound amazing.Not many guys have 3 ply Gretsch kits,pre grey interior.

Now you need some 50's K's ,to go with them.:)

Steve B

I'm very much looking forward to what you will have to say about these drums Bob. Especially since you have vintage Luds and Slingys to compare to. I have zero experience with these drums so I'm looking to you for an honest evaluation.

Bob you gotta invite me over sometime. Wow those are nice.

And gotta love what looks like the original bass drum head - 63 years old and going....

Keep us updated when these arrive..more pics and thoughts appreciated. Congrats.

Thanks guys, the kit shipped today. I intend on keeping the calfskin heads and leaving this kit pretty much as it is. I may repaint the bass drum hoops and do minor restoration work. This will be pretty much be a museum piece. The previous owner kept it really nice and he deserves congrats for that.
I can't wait to play it. Pics and vids are coming.
50's K"s, Hmmmmm... We'll see Steve.
The snare drum has a wide set of wires on it. Looks like a 40 strand. What would the original snare wire setup have been back then? I have never had more than 24 wires on my snare.
It will be an interesting adventure for sure:)

Last edited:
Wow. That's all I can say. Congrats, you scored yourself a real looker! I've got a WMP 3-ply Gretsch snare shell just like the one that comes with your kit, can't wait to finish restoring it.

That's awesome Bob! Congratulations! I think when you get them, you should go for the entire 50s experience and get some calf heads installed. Then those drums should really sing! Can't wait for a Bob demo!

... I intend on keeping the calfskin heads and leaving this kit pretty much as it is. I may repaint the bass drum hoops and do minor restoration work. This will be pretty much be a museum piece. The previous owner kept it really nice and he deserves congrats for that....

That sounds like a good idea. Seems like this is a kit that shouldn't be modified too much.

Back