I have original music I made with "fake" drums...

wraub

Gold Member
...okay to post here?

Original music, made with a mix of loops and real instruments. I played basses, guitar, keys, and random percussion instruments live, along with a lot of very edited samples, sounds, and loops, all produced by me. (I'm still learning how to mike my kit.) Only three tunes (so far).

I know the drums aren't "real", but they are all me, for better or worse. :D I didn't know if it was cool to post it because of loops and such.

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Where are the tunes?

I make music all the time with drum VSTs. It's a great way to get out scratch tracks. Though a couple I can probably record using my two mic interface as it fits the style.

Got some groove in there. I dig it.
I need to get better at mixing. I always have trouble getting good kick sounds. Either too quiet or over powering.

I've done more polished sounding tracks, but I love this style of mixing https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/zCgY

I'm sorry if my mixes made you think of bad ones... ;) :D I'm working on it. ;)

Got some groove in there. I dig it.
I need to get better at mixing. I always have trouble getting good kick sounds. Either too quiet or over powering.

I've done more polished sounding tracks, but I love this style of mixing https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/zCgY

I definitely prefer real drums, but my current situation and experience dictates the method.

I do enjoy it all. :)(y)

Keep smashing it @wraub! There’s no right or wrongs...express yourself and enjoy it! (y) :cool:

I'm sorry if my mixes made you think of bad ones... ;) :D I'm working on it. ;)
Oh no, they just reminded me I suck at mixing. They are way better than mine. I've been slacking :p

Well, then... Thanks! :)

Do you know a magazine called TapeOp?

It's a recording magazine that. imo, is less than it used to be, but is still better than the others (again, imo) and is totally free. They even offer a free subscription of the actual magazine, sent to your mailbox. :)

I have no affiliation with them besides that I've been subscribing for years, and I've learned a lot about mixing and mastering there.

Also, sites like

offer hours of useful reading.

I've been really working at improving it for a while, I appreciate the compliment...

You can do it. :)

Oh no, they just reminded me I suck at mixing. They are way better than mine. I've been slacking :p

Well, then... Thanks! :)

Do you know a magazine called TapeOp?

It's a recording magazine that. imo, is less than it used to be, but is still better than the others (again, imo) and is totally free. They even offer a free subscription, sent to your mailbox. :)

I have no affiliation with them besides that I've been subscribing for years, and I've learned a lot about mixing and mastering there.

Also, sites like

offer hours of useful reading.

I've been really working at improving it for a while, I appreciate the compliment...

You can do it. :)
I have not. I will look them up. Thanks!

I have used the other sites, but just diddle around in reaper.

I tried Reaper, but at first I actually found it too demanding. It's surprisingly involved, but I didn't find the interface friendly to me.

After some searching, I went with Presonus StudioOne. I've been using it for years, with absolutely no issues, I found the interface much more intuitive and all the controls easily useable without layers or menus. They have a free version that offers a lot of functionality- the latest version is StudioOne 5 Prime-

(I have no affiliation with Presonus)

I am definitely still learning, but if I can help at all, let me know. ;)

I have not. I will look them up. Thanks!

I have used the other sites, but just diddle around in reaper.

I tried Reaper, but at first I actually found it too demanding. It's surprisingly involved, but I didn't find the interface friendly to me.

After some searching, I went with Presonus StudioOne. I've been using it for years, with absolutely no issues, I found the interface much more intuitive and all the controls easily useable without layers or menus. They have a free version that offers a lot of functionality- the latest version is StudioOne 5 Prime-

(I have no affiliation with Presonus)

I am definitely still learning, but if I can help at all, let me know. ;)
I started in FL studio doing electronic music. Then studio one 2. I like reaper for the flexibility and price. I can do electronic music fine, but its the real (or real sounding) stuff that stumps me.

Actually good music for background. You've got talent with rough edges that I'm sure you'll work out as you move forward. First thing I'd work on is loop repetition. A dead giveaway it's not real musicians and makes it sound like something you'd hear on hold with your phone. Otherwise you're proficiency on the instrumentation is good and again I'll say it'll get better as you move ahead.

I found the best way to get to the "real" sounding stuff was to get "real". That's why I have so much musical stuff. :) I learned to "play" keys for the recordings above. I am not good, but... I can play the parts I needed.
If I want a sound or a part I can't fake, I'll usually just learn to play it.

I am now almost competent on many instruments. :D
It may take time, but I enjoy all of the process. Plus, musical stuff. ;)

I started in FL studio doing electronic music. Then studio one 2. I like reaper for the flexibility and price. I can do electronic music fine, but its the real (or real sounding) stuff that stumps me.

Last edited:
My solution for the "real" sounding was to get as close to "real" as possible. That's why I have so much musical stuff. :) I learned to "play" keys for the recordings above. I am not good, but... If I want a sound or a part I can't fake, I'll usually just learn to play it.

I am now almost competent on many instruments. :D
It may take time, but I enjoy all of the process. Plus, musical stuff. ;)
90 percent of my writing is after work, and I work swing. So I found a raw sounding drum VST to work with and learn mixing. For guitar, I've had some great tones, but im messing with a new cab sim. I usually run my FX send of my Orange through my interface.

I also tend to record and write around work... fun, right?

There's no one right way, and if it gets the music recorded, it's good. Everything in the tracks above was recorded direct and treated later, but I do prefer having mics, sound, and air.

Recreating the musical noises in your head to share with others is up to you, the methods are almost endless. I like the inexpensive, because I can afford it and find it inspires creativity.

I tend to use whatever is available or can be inexpensively gotten. I have almost no disposable income for gear, so make due with the best I can get.

There are many paths, and we each have different destinations. The trip is the adventure, always explore. ;)

90 percent of my writing is after work, and I work swing. So I found a raw sounding drum VST to work with and learn mixing. For guitar, I've had some great tones, but im messing with a new cab sim. I usually run my FX send of my Orange through my interface.

I also tend to record and write around work... fun, right?

There's no one right way, and if it gets the music recorded, it's good. Everything in the tracks above was recorded direct and treated later, but I do prefer having mics, sound, and air.

Recreating the musical noises in your head to share with others is up to you, the methods are almost endless. I like the inexpensive, because I can afford it and find it inspires creativity.

I tend to use whatever is available or can be inexpensively gotten. I have almost no disposable income for gear, so make due with the best I can get.

There are many paths, and we each have different destinations. The trip is the adventure, always explore. ;)
Ugritone, while more metal and punk oriented, often has massive sales on their plugins. I really enjoy their Riot Drums sample pack. Has that DIY garage sound. Got it for 5 bucks! That's about as close as I can get to my "recording" set up. An old ART USB dual tube pre, an SM58 on the kick, and an AKG P170 overhead. P170 is nice on cabs too.

Ugritone has some cool cab impulse responses as well.

I like what you've done. I have my hands full with one instrument, it always amazes me when people can play multiple.
I really like your bass work.

Back