I have no cymbals and 500$

BabyBob

Silver Member
Hiya guys,

It's me, Marilyn. Now I'd wanna ask you guys what would you do if you have 500$? Well Since I'm a newbie I don't need a whole Big set like Joey Jordison...maybe 2crashes,1ride and a Pair of Hi-hats will do.

So basically I'm asking what shall I get for 500$? I was thinking of going with a MCS set and add a B8 18" crash which a guy offered me for 100$ < Is this a good way? If I was going for used what shall I aim for? Eg 14" NB Hi-hats,AC crashes etc.

In need of advice.

PS. I'm more into Trash Metal kind of music tho I'd like to have some "all-rounder" cymbals.

This is advice given before: you need to get the best you can, so if that means buying used A Zildjians, that's what I would do. Unlike drums, you can't make cymbals better, what you hear is what you get. However, your location may work against you because here in the States you can get things on eBay pretty cheap.

I would think you could get away with one crash for now. But if you're looking for good all-rounder cymbals that would be good for everything, and you won't grow out of them, I'd try to find A Zildjian 14" New Beat hi-hats, a 18" thin crash, and a 20" medium or light ride cymbal (I go light because then it can double as an explosive crash too). I was on eBay and you can find New Beat hi-hats used for like $180, so your budget would cover this set-up, I think.

You could go slightly cheaper, but just as good, if you found the equivalents in Sabian's AA series. AA medium hats, 18" thin crash, and 20" medium or light ride.

Alot of people argue that the intermediate cymbals sets are good, and that may be true. But people who buy those sets almost always end up upgrading sooner or later. So, I'd eliminate that step and just get pro-level cymbals. Then you only buy your set once and add to it, rather than have to replace it.

This is advice given before: you need to get the best you can, so if that means buying used A Zildjians, that's what I would do. Unlike drums, you can't make cymbals better, what you hear is what you get. However, your location may work against you because here in the States you can get things on eBay pretty cheap.

I would think you could get away with one crash for now. But if you're looking for good all-rounder cymbals that would be good for everything, and you won't grow out of them, I'd try to find A Zildjian 14" New Beat hi-hats, a 18" thin crash, and a 20" medium or light ride cymbal (I go light because then it can double as an explosive crash too). I was on eBay and you can find New Beat hi-hats used for like $180, so your budget would cover this set-up, I think.

You could go slightly cheaper, but just as good, if you found the equivalents in Sabian's AA series. AA medium hats, 18" thin crash, and 20" medium or light ride.

Alot of people argue that the intermediate cymbals sets are good, and that may be true. But people who buy those sets almost always end up upgrading sooner or later. So, I'd eliminate that step and just get pro-level cymbals. Then you only buy your set once and add to it, rather than have to replace it.

This is what I'm scared of...anyway the Thin crash you mention is which series? A series? BTW is AAX intermediate or pro or crap?

Thanks for your reply ^_^

One of the reasons that I like Sabian is that they are a bit cheaper than Zildjian and Paiste. I like buying used cymbals, but much prefer doing that in a store where I can examine them. This year I have become a fan of Sabain XS20 cymbals. To me, the one area where some budget cymbals are good is hats, and sometimes rides. Where budget cymbals usually sound so-so is with crashes. Good luck.

Be patient and don't get in a hurry, Your ride and hats are the most important cymbals and are almost impossible to buy without checking them out in person, most cymbals are. Go listen to a bunch, contrast and compare, and remember to put them on a stand and not the crappy display, it will make a difference in sound, and remember cymbals change sound, usually mellow out , in time. Then start adding crashes and effects cymbals. I went all Sabian XS20, they are a great middle of the road cymbal and I like the sound of them over some higher end cymbals, but of course not all of them. Its all about personal preference and no one can tell you what you like or not but your tastes probably change over time.
Good luck with your journey

as with all drum sounds, trust your ears. try cymbals out, cheap and pro regardless of brand.
decide what YOU like.

set your priorities, what you want to replace first, then look for that.

i once had an entry level ride that ounded amazing, my brother in-law liked it so much he traded me a Zildjian A 22 inch ride for it.

you just never know, TRUST YOUR EARS ;-)

as with all drum sounds, trust your ears. try cymbals out, cheap and pro regardless of brand.
decide what YOU like.

i once had an entry level ride that ounded amazing, my brother in-law liked it so much he traded me a Zildjian A 22 inch ride for it.

+1, agree with this advice...

Try also second hand cymbals, better sound than entry level stuff (that's subjective, though) and cheaper than pro series when they're new, take your time when selecting your cymbals...

This is what I'm scared of...anyway the Thin crash you mention is which series? A series? BTW is AAX intermediate or pro or crap?

Thanks for your reply ^_^

The A series is from Zildjian. AAX, is a Sabian series. Both are pro level. The AAX is mostly akin to Zildjian's A Custom line - kinda' brighter in my opinion. But Zildjian A's (and consequently Sabian's AA's) are probably what you've been hearing all over the radio for the last six decades.

But if you can hear them beforehand, see what you like. If you can't, like I said, can't go wrong with either A's or AA's.

I have Sabian 14" AAX Stage Hats and a Sabian 20" HH Medium ride I'm looking to sell. They are in great condition but are used. Message me if you're interest I'd be willing to talk about a good price for the both together or if your interested in them seperate. =]

One of the reasons that I like Sabian is that they are a bit cheaper than Zildjian and Paiste. I like buying used cymbals, but much prefer doing that in a store where I can examine them. This year I have become a fan of Sabain XS20 cymbals. To me, the one area where some budget cymbals are good is hats, and sometimes rides. Where budget cymbals usually sound so-so is with crashes. Good luck.

Alright, thanks for the advice :D

Be patient and don't get in a hurry, Your ride and hats are the most important cymbals and are almost impossible to buy without checking them out in person, most cymbals are. Go listen to a bunch, contrast and compare, and remember to put them on a stand and not the crappy display, it will make a difference in sound, and remember cymbals change sound, usually mellow out , in time. Then start adding crashes and effects cymbals. I went all Sabian XS20, they are a great middle of the road cymbal and I like the sound of them over some higher end cymbals, but of course not all of them. Its all about personal preference and no one can tell you what you like or not but your tastes probably change over time.
Good luck with your journey

I see...ok, will take note.

decide what YOU like.

Wow that's a steal! Tho I'm not replacing anything...cuz there isn't any cymbals to replace LOL!!!

The A series is from Zildjian. AAX, is a Sabian series. Both are pro level. The AAX is mostly akin to Zildjian's A Custom line - kinda' brighter in my opinion. But Zildjian A's (and consequently Sabian's AA's) are probably what you've been hearing all over the radio for the last six decades.

But if you can hear them beforehand, see what you like. If you can't, like I said, can't go wrong with either A's or AA's.

I see, BTW how to know if the cymbal is in good condition other then hearing & seeing it in person?

You're right... We are kindda in the same situation. Now I just ordered a pack of Zildjian A pack from US.

I think I will start from there... Then, if I don't like the fast crashes which comes together, I will try to sell them and get A custom or A medium thin crashes as other gurus here suggest.

You live in KL, so I think you should be able to try some at store... Good for you...
Let me know what you decide too, wanna know the feedback.

Btw, good luck... (Hope I do have some luck too) ^_^

You're right... We are kindda in the same situation. Now I just ordered a pack of Zildjian A pack from US.

I think I will start from there... Then, if I don't like the fast crashes which comes together, I will try to sell them and get A custom or A medium thin crashes as other gurus here suggest.

You live in KL, so I think you should be able to try some at store... Good for you...
Let me know what you decide too, wanna know the feedback.

Btw, good luck... (Hope I do have some luck too) ^_^

Cool I'll give some feedback when I got them. Just wondering you order direct from the US? Wow? Isn't it gonna cost quite some money? O_O

Good Luck to you too :D

ok Zildjian A customs brand new 20 med ride 16 crash, 14 hi hats and a free 18 inch crash. 649.99 less 15% coupon code and free shipping 561.44 delivered. or zildjian A ( not custom) same set 619.99 less same as above 535.94 delivered. No one beats these prices, i have searched the net for months!!! go to Midwestpercussion.com and it is on their home page listed as zildjian cymbal blowout sale. I am not affiliated with them in any way excespt as a long time customer. trust me, no one touches these 2 prices!!!

the discount code is pesv15

ok Zildjian A customs brand new 20 med ride 16 crash, 14 hi hats and a free 18 inch crash. 649.99 less 15% coupon code and free shipping 561.44 delivered. or zildjian A ( not custom) same set 619.99 less same as above 535.94 delivered. No one beats these prices, i have searched the net for months!!! go to Midwestpercussion.com and it is on their home page listed as zildjian cymbal blowout sale. I am not affiliated with them in any way excespt as a long time customer. trust me, no one touches these 2 prices!!!

the discount code is pesv15

But I live in Malaysia? You sure? FREE?!

Last edited:
Hiya guys,

It's me, Marilyn. Now I'd wanna ask you guys what would you do if you have 500$? Well Since I'm a newbie I don't need a whole Big set like Joey Jordison...maybe 2crashes,1ride and a Pair of Hi-hats will do.

So basically I'm asking what shall I get for 500$? I was thinking of going with a MCS set and add a B8 18" crash which a guy offered me for 100$ < Is this a good way? If I was going for used what shall I aim for? Eg 14" NB Hi-hats,AC crashes etc.

In need of advice.

PS. I'm more into Trash Metal kind of music tho I'd like to have some "all-rounder" cymbals.

Meinl Classics Custom! 500$ even! or Paiste Alphas

If you look around on the American eBay, there are lots of shops that send internationally. Check out Sigler Music, DrumCentreNH, Greenbrier Music, DrummerSuperStore....

there are lots.

No I meant free shipping....Alright will check it out then.

Meinl Classics Custom! 500$ even! or Paiste Alphas

Will take note of those ^_^

Back