I hate that Song!!

moxman

Silver Member
Back to the OP question .. that's a swing pattern; take away Satriani's wicked guitar and throw in horns.. but the beginning sounds like 4 bars of 4 with a trad swing hat and a 5-stroke roll after 3 on the 4th bar - leading into a double crash landing on the 1 etc.. you have to map it out either on paper or in your head. Listen and count it then play it.. chunk by chunk - but also chunk out the main parts like verses choruses etc.

Last edited:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Close, but you're missing 3 notes. This might happen if you play the first note as "1" instead of playing the first 3 notes as "and 4 and'

and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
That makes more sense than the way they tried to teach at PIT way back when, when we told it was in 11/8 or something wacky like that.

Old Dog new Cans

Back to the OP question .. that's a swing pattern; take away Satriani's wicked guitar and throw in horns.. but the beginning sounds like 2 bars of 4 with a trad swing hat and a quad roll after 4 on the 2nd bar - leading into a double crash etc.. you have to map it out either on paper or in your head. Listen and count it then play it.. chunk by chunk - but also chunk out the main parts like verses choruses etc.
Yes I totally agree. Most songs, I just listen to over and over in real time, and eventually get it. But this one has evaded me. And my effort hasn't been good at all. When I watch the cat play that I linked in the OP, I'm like, in real time--it's just going to be too hard to learn. I need the drum part in front of me, and I need to get some DJ software on my latest PC that will allow me to change the speed of the song.

What gets me about the part, it's just off, a pinch, like an 1/8th note, and then matches back up when he fills into the guitar break. I sometimes can't visualize syncopation. I was a marching bass drummer--DOWN BEATS, POWERFUL DOWN BEATS. Little spazzy syncos with great execution just stump me.

moxman

Silver Member
Ah.. listened again - it's a 5-stroke roll at the beginning with the accent on 1 and 5, then the double crash landing on the 1. Also I'd count it as 4 bars of 4/4 for the hihat intro..so the roll comes in after 3 in the 4th bar. Then his snare and kick shots land on the 2 and 4 after that.

There's a lot going on in that track - nice drum part!
I always find the key is in figuring out how to count it, in some cases work out the hands first - with a 4 on the floor kick or hats - to hear where things land.

You are probably hung up on the section at the first change where there's (if I had to guess) what sounds like a bar of 9 with a triplet cascade pattern into a pause.. then back into it. The pattern launches after the snare lands on '2' followed by a 7-stroke triplet pattern and a pause.

Download audacity (free) and isolate the chunk and filter> change speed or tempo.

Good luck!

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Ah.. listened again - it's a 5-stroke roll at the beginning with the accent on 1 and 5, then the double crash.
It sounds like the first two strokes are doubled also, but in between a buzz roll and a full double stroke. Like RR LL R L R. I left the accents out on purpose.

Old Dog new Cans

Ah.. listened again - it's a 5-stroke roll at the beginning with the accent on 1 and 5, then the double crash landing on the 1. Also I'd count it as 4 bars of 4/4 for the hihat intro..so the roll comes in after 3 in the 4th bar. Then his snare and kick shots land on the 2 and 4 after that.

There's a lot going on in that track - nice drum part!
I always find the key is in figuring out how to count it, in some cases work out the hands first - with a 4 on the floor kick or hats - to hear where things land.

You are probably hung up on the section at the first change where there's (if I had to guess) what sounds like a bar of 9 with a triplet cascade pattern into a pause.. then back into it.

Download audacity (free) and isolate the chunk and filter> change speed or tempo.

Good luck!
Yes! You know what I'm hearing, lol. It's that funky intro. I'll look into audacity. I actually found a video of a guy explaining it. The problem is, it's just him and his drums. He hasn't tied in any of the original recording. If I put the effort into learning, I will eventually. The problem is, I don't practice 2/3hrs a day like I did as a youngster. My body argues with me.

Thanks though.

moxman

Silver Member
I updated my previous post about the odd change:
"The pattern launches after the snare lands on '2' followed by a 7-stroke triplet pattern and a pause."