I hate Craigslist sometimes.

Mustion

Scammers! I mean, I can see through their BS no problem, but man is it annoying... yet I still take the time to reply with snark!

CL_1.pngCL_2.pngCL_3.png

Mustion

I don't follow... but who buys something off craigslist with a cashiers check, lol?
Nobody does! It's probably the most common scam on Craigslist. Because of the law, when you deposit a cashier's check the funds are made available to you pretty much right away whether or not the check is bogus. Scammers exploit this by sending you one in excess of what they owe with some BS excuse, requesting that you send the difference back once it "clears", which it appears to do since the funds are available. But it hasn't truly "cleared", and by the time the bank discovers the check is a fake--which could take weeks--you're on the hook for all that money. I'm honestly surprised that anybody would fall for it, but they must, because this scam sure does persist.

Any time I list something in excess of $100 I get a bunch of these. Number one red flag is when they refer to the item by the listing title verbatim--as if anybody really talks like that! I usually ignore them but I was curious what would happen if I tried to engage with shop talk.

Last edited:

Mustion

That said, anytime I contact a seller on Craigslist, I always try to mention something that makes it clear that I am actually involved in whatever the item is. If any of you have contacted a CL seller and got no response, it's most likely because you were too general and that's a big time red flag to a wary CL seller. Saying, "hi I'm interested is the X available" is the worst thing you can do!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I had one last week. Selling a miter saw, and got the I'll mail you a check and send my colleague to pick up the saw.....NO, go away scammer. End of discussion. I do cash only at my house. Period. Unless it's PayPal for out of town

Mustion

I had one last week. Selling a miter saw, and got the I'll mail you a check and send my colleague to pick up the saw.....NO, go away scammer. End of discussion. I do cash only at my house. Period. Unless it's PayPal for out of town
Apparently PayPal is not impervious to fraud either, although those scams usually involve bigger ticket items like cars (I think I read a story about that on this same forum)

No Me Metro

Thank you for posting this, I definitely learned something. I don't sell many things, so I did not realize a cashier's check took so long to clear, which could leave the recipient vulnerable.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I don't sell much, but when I do I always get out of state replies wanting to send me a code. I'm sure it's another scam of some sort. Never had the cashier's check one yet.

danondrums

I have a fictional online character and bogus email and burner phone number that I use when I know I'll be dealing with those types.
This allows me to go all out in my replies without a care in the world.
Instead of a cashier's check I let them know that I prefer payment in sexual favors from their grandparents or a detached limb from a sibling.
I do try and pretend to be serious for as long as possible to waste as much of their time as I can. It's fun when they think they have you hooked, and then you drop one of the above bombs on them.
What a hoot.

EhhSoCheap

Just yesterday I had a scammer use the number I listed in my Craigslist ad to request a Google Voice verification code. They then asked me for the code. Thankfully, the code I received from Google warned me not to share the code with anyone. I’m desperate for the money and really wanted to sell the cymbal I had listed, and I nearly fell for it.

opentune

Platinum Member
You post a phone # on a c/list ad? Somebody can really run with that info.
I'd suggest email only.

Mustion

You post a phone # on a c/list ad? Somebody can really run with that info.
I'd suggest email only.
Can they, though? I'm pretty wary of such things but after all, by phone only was once the way things were done. Everybody's number used to published in a phone book.