I give up!!!

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Very annoying little kid, he can put circle around my drumming...

He's got a future in drumming, that's for sure, he's a natural with his big round eyes :)

tamadrm

Platinum Member
This kid has an endorcment deal with Zildjian,just check out the link on the video.He can play for sure.....SEVEN!!!!!!!!!! Must be something in the water supply.:):)

Steve B

dmacc_2

I think these are great examples of the future of drumming. As these kids learn more and gain more control, finesse and musicality, they'll become true musicians in every sense of the word.

mikel

Platinum Member
Yes, well....people keep posting kids playing the drums on the tube. So what?

They can play, ok, what next?

Why are the parents posting this stuff, there are a lot of people who can play drums, do they think a band will take them on simply because they are 5 or 7 or 9 years old?

Sorry to come over all negative but all this "Isnt he/she wonderful,they are only young you know" makes me not click on the particular youtube vid.

Its all a bit Pavlovs dog to me.

A-customs

Silver Member
2 Fantastic vids of young guns,sometimes you just got to say its a natural born thing,at that age all the lessons in the world would not get you to play like that unless you were born with it Especially the 10 year old.

MaryO

Platinum Member
I've learned to just stop watching these vids. Great for the kids and I wish them the best but watching them just brings me down. Playing ostrich on these types of things works best for me :)

Anon La Ply

Renegade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWQ7YAoaswI

Yep, he's just way too good. The only reasonable explanation is that he's actually immortal and has practiced for many many years... ;)
Yeah, I'd looked at that one too - how about his LF work LOL

The only saving grace for us bumbling oldies is that, for the most part, the sounds the boys are generating are ugly - brilliant and difficult, but ugly. It's one thing to have the chops, another to execute them with touch, feel and taste ... but as David suggested earlier, once the boys have that down they will be top notch.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent

Why are the parents posting this stuff, there are a lot of people who can play drums, do they think a band will take them on simply because they are 5 or 7 or 9 years old?

Sorry to come over all negative but all this "Isnt he/she wonderful,they are only young you know" makes me not click on the particular youtube vid.

So what? ...

To play at such an advanced level at that age has more to do with a gift for the instrument than it is for the long and hard dedicated practice that generally take place for the average would be musician.

It's much more than "they can play", they're displaying a maturity, musicianship and a skill that not common with players of that age, I doubt very much that Simon Phillips was as advanced as that when he was 7 or 10 years old, even he started at the tender age of 3.

If you were the father of such gifted child, wouldn't you be proud and wanted the rest of the world to see him/her? I would to be honest :)

Not all "kids playing" videos are showing such talented musicians I agree, but parents are parents, they think their off springs are the best, but those videos are in a different category altogether .

Some drummers will spent most of their lives studying and practicing the art of drumming, some will never ever reach the level of the 10 years old kid (like me), just to put a perspective to what I'm saying here.

Just my 2c Mikel :)

mikel

Platinum Member
As I say MAD, not knocking anyone its just that I get a bit sick of the whole "Freak Show" element on youtube.

A gift is just that, but I was an athletics coach for about 20 years and the number of young and extremely gifted kids I saw who did nothing with there gift as they lost interest and moved on to the next thing that interested them.

However I did see a certain Mo Farah compete at the English Schools when he was 17, but then again what did he ever do in athletics. Having said that drumming is not a competition its about being able to empathize with other musicians. If these young chaps keep improving over the next 10 years, join a band, and make some great music then they will be great drummers.

I am of the opinion that its got nothing to do with age or gender or race, its about what you can bring to the song that counts.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I don't know about the UK,but in the states,Parenting is the largest non contact competitive sport there is.

If your kid could play like that,have multiple endorcement deals,and one by Zildjian and being touted on the Zildjian web site...you wouldn't post a vid as a proud dad on youtube?

Really?What's wrong with pride in an amazing accomplishment by such a mature and talented young man?

Steve B

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member

I tend to agree.

I saw Brooks Wackerman with Bad4Good open for Satriani in like 92 (?) when Brooks was 13. He played things then that I still can't do now. Yup, I left feeling rather small and insignificant, but not like that meant I had no future playing.

I saw Jason Armen do a drum solo in person when he was 9, and yeah, it was beyond impressive. But not as if his career took off from it.

I saw this 9 year old kid win a drum off once, Thomas Pridgen I think was his name, and it's not like his career....oh wait, his career did take off, ok, bad example *lol*.

So when people post these things...
Am I impressed? Yes.
Jealous of their ability? Sure.
Am I going to go home, burn my drum sticks and sell off my kits? No.
Do I think they all have futures in music? Eh, perhaps, but not necessarily.
Am I going to study their licks and use them with a future band? No, I'd probably get fired.

Souljacker

Silver Member
Well thats the thing. I think it's important to not get discouraged when watching these kids.

There are only a certain amount of kids that good. The exception rather than the rule and they're that good cos they are born with more natural ability and develop quicker.

Every drummer finds their path. The most naturally talented ones don't always end up being the best either. In any discipline.

Look at Freddy Adu in soccer. Was supposedly the next big thing at 14 wasn't it? If you've been following his career, it nosedived fast. I don't think talent always dictates where someones going to end up.