I find the category "Ladies" to be quite insensitive. Can Drummerworld do a better job of giving female drummers the credit that they deserve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the OP post an obscure Ladies only that I still haven’t seen them jumps to a conclusion of the site doesn’t give female drummers credit. Which is false - there are also quite a few female forum members and seems more coming in.

Why has no one has mentioned being offended by the annual "Hit like a girl" Site/Contest, that's been running for over a decade????

I've determined that it's impossible not to offend someone, no matter what you do. The world is too complicated, and people are too intent on being offended.

I'm considering going proactive, and simply offending everyone on purpose, lol. Can't bring myself to do it. Yet.
Im Offended, but then what does that mean? Nothing ...happens when two people offend each other. they are just offended.

And yet categorizing is what humans do. It's fundamental to decision making. I think the idea that categorizing is inherently discriminatory is incorrect.
When it involves singling out a group of people, no matter the intent, it is discriminatory. It doesnt have to be ill-willed. Once you single out a group it all of a sudden has special criteria other than just human. It then also becomes easy for another group to find fault with it.

I see no problem with the term ladies. But as the thread has demonstrated, someone managed to find an inherent issue with the singling out.

Rythymic Sisters or whatever term is used its just reinventing the wheel.

Well, I think being offended for a group you're not a part of can be offensive to that group. By speaking for them without their asking it of you, you're essentially saying they aren't capable of it themselves. Do you think their voice or opinion doesn't matter, or that yours is more important? Do you think they are they not strong enough willed to defend themselves? Did they require a white knight to come along and save them? Do you think they're that weak?

honestly to me, this is more truly offensive...and sooooo prevalent in todays "I want my 15 seconds of social media fame" culture <---look at me, standing up for the oppressed and down-trodden....

sometimes I think the crowd who is bringing this up just wants the attention on them, and not the issue itself. Political correctness has been 10% good for the world, and 90% corrupted like everything else that humans generally encounter...

now get off of my lawn, or yard, or grass-habitat or biosphere...or don't, because that might be offensive to the people who want to be there... :rolleyes:

Maybe the forum members should drop all pronouns-so No I, He, She, etc. So the forum members go by moniker. "Getagrippa thinks this conversations is just getting crazy and blah, blah, blah, blah. " What do the forum members think? GetAgrippa is rolling around the floor laughing hysterically. Tears rolling down GetAgrippa's eyes and face-stop, stop, stop.
Well I'm ready for some popcorn-carry on my wayward son-there will be peace when you are done, blah, blah bah.

I think a certain demographic of the world wants all communication to look like this:

When it involves singling out a group of people, no matter the intent, it is discriminatory. It doesnt have to be ill-willed. Once you single out a group it all of a sudden has special criteria other than just human. It then also becomes easy for another group to find fault with it.

I see no problem with the term ladies. But as the thread has demonstrated, someone managed to find an inherent issue with the singling out.

I know what you're saying, but I do disagree, respectfully. Categorization is often useful. And it can clearly be harmful, in unfortunate cases.

As for the OP, I don't think found an issue, I think he is creating an issue. About a non-issue.

Didn't it occur to anyone this page is NOT based in the United States?

This page is based in Switzerland.

The page could have been called "De Damen" instead.

the term drummer is I find offensive.. halleluya...... bucket banger .. is a little more to my liking ..

Threads of this nature do nothing to strengthen our community. They bear no relation to technique, teaching, gear, gigging, or recording, and they're a lot more contentious than they are intriguing. Ideological petitions should be submitted to the site's owner, not to forum members. Let's not allow divergent cultural expectations to sever our bond as drummers. At the end of the day, we all hold sticks, regardless of the titles by which we wish to be addressed.

Last edited:
Threads of this nature do nothing to strengthen our community. They bear no relation to technique, teaching, equipment, gigging, or recording, and they're a lot more contentious than they are intriguing. Ideological petitions should be submitted to the site's owner, not to forum members. Let's not allow divergent cultural expectations to sever our bond as drummers. At the end of the day, we all hold sticks, regardless of the titles by which we wish to be addressed.
Wise words, my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back