I drove my wife's car and listened to her radio station... my thoughts.

Macarina

Silver Member
OHMYGAWD... what the hell.

OK, ok, backup...

Brief backstory leading up to this post.

1) I don't listen to radio anymore. Haven't for about 10 years or so. I listen to podcasts. When I do listen to music, it's my burned CD's of music I find in movies, commercials, TV, etc. I burn about 5 or 6 CD's a year.
2) I rarely drive her car, but it needed a bath badly for all the salt on it. So I took it for a drive to the car wash.
3) While driving I could not find how to change the radio station. It was all touch screen and I didn't see a radio button. Soooo, I decided to settle in and listen to her station. Pop music. Usually it's Motown when I'm with her, but she had it tuned to a Pop station this time.

During my 30 minutes of driving, I heard about 10 songs. (2) were female voices, (7) were male, (1) was male ft. a female.
1st song was OK, but from the get-go I noticed the 'clicks', 'snaps', 'claps' throughout the song, with the distinctive sub-woofer punches.
2nd song starts with a rhythm click... well this is kinda boring.
Then I noticed when the guys sing, they are predominately monotone and/or auto-tuned. Good gawd... no range. The female songs sounded decent with some vocal range going on.
4th song, I am bored with the exact same sound as I've been listening too for the last 15 minutes.
I also noticed, There's no drums on these tracks. WTF. The song is carried by these nauseating clicks and snaps, with a bass line that carries it through.

What Twilight Zone episode of Hell am I living currently.
I hate Opera, Folk and Country, but I truly despise these soulless tracks, and I guess this would be my hell, if this is all I could listen to.

Finally, I've heard you all talk about the state of music today. I guess it's been about the radio fodder? Cause I know there is good music out there still being made... and I'm finding it. Of course I'm looking for it.

As long as my wife is happy... am I right?

But I was trying to figure out why this music is appealing today? Are people just lazy? Is it just so easy to 'tune' out and let this bad wallpaper of sound just play?

Thoughts?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Yes, the radio fodder is the garbage music everyone rags on. All sounds the same, over produced, has no feeling, is too perfect, blah blah blah.

I heard the results of a survey, about the radio and driving, on the radio while driving. It was about the most distracting music to drivers. The winners (or losers depending on how you look at it) were metal and classical.

These are two of my favorite forms of music. I've never had an at fault accident. Hmm...

Did your pop/driving experience have a negative effect on your driving? Did you feel distracted? Was it road rage inducing? I'm curious because of the survey I heard.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I listen to car radio when I drive. I like the hip hop, rap and contemporary adult stations. I am interested in the newer sounds and arrangements. I listen to classic rock too, when I'm home or at a bar.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..Thoughts?..

*yawn*

My thought..: this will be again a thread in which all the people who got stuck in their classic rock days can grumble a little about how crap nowadays music is, that in the past everything was better, that all rap and hiphop sucks, that nowadays no one can play a real instrument (because a laptop is ofcourse not an instrument), that Led Zeppelin and Queen were the real sh*t and that they rather die than visit a Kanye West show..

Something like that..

*yawn*

Mongrel

Silver Member
*yawn*

My thought..: this will be again a thread in which all the people who got stuck in their classic rock days can grumble a little about how crap nowadays music is, that in the past everything was better, that all rap and hiphop sucks, that nowadays no one can play a real instrument (because a laptop is ofcourse not an instrument), that Led Zeppelin and Queen were the real sh*t and that they rather die than visit a Kanye West show..

Something like that..

*yawn*
I'm not quite sure what I enjoy more....

Reading the complaint....or reading the complainer of the complaint.

So much entertainment...so little time.

Lol

Gotta run, presents to wrap and all that!

nolibos

I have to listen to a lot of car radio pop music, after dominating what we listen to for many years, my wife and kids have taken over control.
It seems to be very lyrics based.
Nothing new here, pop music has always existed in some form or another; and there have always been complaints about it's quality.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I was a disc jockey for years. Los Angeles, San Diego, Portland OR, Houston, plus other small markets starting out, and eventually here in Phoenix before retiring in 2009. Started broadcasting in 1973 and Top 40 was king. Didn't like all the "bubblegum", but Motown was enjoyable, as were some of the rock and pop groups. Back then there weren't clicks, etc. If you weren't good on your instrument when recording, in came the Wrecking Crew who COULD play anything. Now days musicianship is a dying art form, replaced by computer geeks, loops and samples. Auto tune is the worst invention ever. If you can't sing in tune then go back to trade school. After 25 years as a disc jockey I got into doing news and talk shows because I just couldn't relate to the "music of today". I also don't understand the need for twirking on stage during concerts that are staged more like musicals or broadway shows with awful music. Maybe it's just old age. Let me end with this.....LONG LIVE THE STONES, THE BEATLES, THE WHO, THE GUESS WHO, LITTLE RICHARD, CHUCK BERRY, GARTH BROOKS, ALAN JACKSON, VINCE GIL, MERLE, MARTY, THE OAK RIDGE BOYS, HANK WILLIAMS, CONWAY TWITTY, ARTIE SHAW, GLEN MILLER, LOUIS PRIMA, THE LONDON PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA, THE IRISH TENORS, SABINE MEYERS, and now you can add more to the list.

Attachments

There’s Sirius satellite radio in the wife’s car , there’s like 3 or 4 presets with I think 10 channel presets each , and yeah I can’t take listening to her stuff , so One pre set is mine with .... classic vinyl, bluesville, octane, liquid metal , 50’s, 60’s, and some other rock and a country station . I switched one to jazz recently ( can’t remember which one) as I’m trying to infuse some of that into my playing . I sometimes pop on the reggae station ( always liked reggae) . No way can I listen to the wife’s pop nonsense🤮. But I think she’s got the 80’s and 90’s presets on hers that I can deal with about 25% of it when we’re driving together . When we can’t agree it’s either the country or a soft rock station , or sports ( did I mention I love her lol )
And yes ,.... happy wife......happy life 👍🏻

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Just a thought:

A music genre that always gets tons of radio play, makes the artists/producers/labels tons of money, sells millions of CDs/downloads/streams, wins most of the major awards, and has millions if not billions of fans world wide does not suck. You just don't like it.

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
*yawn*

Something like that..

*yawn*
Yep all of that. Queen not so much. Laptop music " yawn" ha ha !... there are great people doing great things in all eras but some of this " generic "stuff is irritating admit it.

Attachments

Last edited:

mikyok

Platinum Member
Video killed the radiostar long ago. All about clicks, views and likes that you can make advertising revenue from.

There's amazing music made all the time, it's just harder to find as it's not commercially viable anymore. I hate to generalise, but a lot of people don't listen to music anymore as attention spans are getting smaller so there goes albums!

Really glad I use spotify in the car (which is killing the music industry as well but that's another argument for another time).

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
My teen daughter listens to K-pop a lot - I mean a real lot especially BTS - though I'm not sure how since she doesn't speak Korean.
I don't listen to it I just hear it.

Almost like being in the grocery store...I'm not listening to that unnecessary extra noise added to the din of the shopping environment they add for our "pleasure," I'm just hearing it. It's the the musical equivalent of talk radio vs critical thinking before speaking.

Last edited:

Macarina

Silver Member
*yawn*

Something like that..

*yawn*
Nope... none of those things.
And I’d prefer not to include those old arguments.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Not bad! But I wouldn’t file it under pop. Try this. May not be your style and she’s like an Indian Ariana Grande but this is how you can make pop with real musicians

Nice sleepy time music. I suppose if you drink it's good with a glass of wine or just plain background ambiance.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I can't listen to music and drive now. You’d think being so hard of hearing it wouldn’t bother me but now, sadly, it distracts me driving. I also worry not hearing emergency vehicles with loud ambient music. It’s only been last few years this issue has arisen cause I use to listen to songs over and over again driving to learn them. If I’m not driving no problem but driving I have to turn it off. It sucks