I don't really enjoy spending money on "stupid stuff"

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
You a Ford factory trained tech too?

yep!!!

also NASCAR trained. I got that saying from a friend of mine who was in Davey Allisons pit crew waaayyyy back in the 90's. That was sort of their slogan

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I guess I have it pretty easy too. I never break sticks any more, and I replace sticks once a year whether I need to or not. As for felts, tension rods and so forth, I only buy those if I have picked up something used or vintage that needs attention. Muffling? I don't use any usually. IDK, it is all part of the game: like putting gas in the tank and changing oil and filters &c.

yeah, my current snare head was put on in 2001. Ambassador Coated. Still gets the sound I went (Stewart Copland reefed sound)

I can't remember the last time I broke a set head or stick honestly. And I play metal and punk 80% of the time.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Heh, and I thought my tom heads from 2017 were old :p

I've only had one head break on me in the past 20 years, that was a Suede Ambassador I had on my brass snare.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
As an amateur some of the stupid stuff is an excuse to go to Guitar Center and play the store kits. I could easily source that stuff online for cheap, oops I need a guitar pick... Though these days with half the store empty Guitar center isn't as fun as it used to be.

One thing that irks me are the cost of clamps and mounts for drum racks. I kind of get it those are precision machined heavy duty equipment and the drum rack owner is a niche customer, but the stuff is fundamentally pretty simple and should be more interchangeable IMO. It was particularly frustrating realizing that the clamps wouldn't fit on my rack. Nope, just a millimeter too short.

BruceW

I know that I "ain't right", but i was kinda excited recently to buy some new cables for my kit mics. Of course I was configuring the way I run things to a way that I think will work better and more efficiently, it wasn't just replacing bad ones...

I seem to recall I was pretty enthused the last time I replaced the heads on the kit, too. Again, I ain't right, I know...

But yes, I would like to be buying some cool stuff too

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Ah, so it's not just my local GC then. The one in my town is low on inventory and also strangely messy and disorganized. Not sure what's going on over there.
I asked and they said the stuff is on back order.

I think they were also doing a reorganization during the pandemic. Looks more like going out of business or something though.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Ah, so it's not just my local GC then. The one in my town is low on inventory and also strangely messy and disorganized. Not sure what's going on over there.

ours is always messy and disorganized.....I never remember it being any other way

doggyd69b

Silver Member
Every once in a while, I always have to buy what I consider "stupid stuff" for my drum set. What is some of this stupid stuff? Any of the following:

heads
sticks
clamps
mic cables
mic clips
microphones
stands
parts for my pedal(s)
tension rods
wingnuts
felts
muffling accessories

Man, how I would love to be buying a new snare or a cool cymbal, but nooooo...I have to buy all of the crap that keeps me going.

Oh well, I should just be thankful that I have to buy the "stupid stuff" because I'm wearing out everything else.

Thanks for allowing me to share my silly ran
I'm sure you have to replace parts a lot more often than others here that don't gig on a regular basis like you do. i'm also sure that even though you dread spending the money, you love it when your kit has "new shoes".

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I'm sure you have to replace parts a lot more often than others here that don't gig on a regular basis like you do. i'm also sure that even though you dread spending the money, you love it when your kit has "new shoes".

Definitely! I love showing up to a gig and all of my stuff working just like it should.

I think it's funny that drummers seek endorsement deals from drum makers. While I'd love to have an endorsement deal from someone like Ludwig, I think I'd like a deal from Evans, Remo, and Vic Firth just as much.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I like buying sticks, heads, and hardware stuff. Peace and goodwill.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I like buying new heads if I'm trying out something new. If I'm just replacing worn out heads with the same thing again, I agree it's not nearly as fun in theory, though I still enjoy that "new drumhead sound" even if it's the same sound.

Sticks were one of those things I just sort of mindlessly buy when I'm running low or I have an imminent gig. Sadly right now buying new sticks has had an additional layer of stress just because my usual stick is out of stock almost everywhere. I have some gigs coming up and my first three usual places to get sticks were out and for a moment I was worried I wouldn't be able to stock up. Fortunately I did finally find some so I'm good now but I was having Regal Tip nightmares all over again...not cool.