I did a BBC radio interview recently - The Drummer Talks!!

Juniper

Gold Member
My covers band was recently approached by the BBC to promote our first gig, which took place on Halloween eve.

They asked for a couple of our five members to join live on air for an interview and I was very happy not to do it and leave it to the others, however as the date approached and the interview was confirmed the ones who said previously they could do it suddenly dropped like flies!!

Leaving me, the drummer and the newest member, to do it completely alone.

If you all think I talk some nonsense on here it turns out I talk nonsense on the radio too! (Although not surprising to people who know me in person)

It was a fun but I was very out my comfort zone, to say the least

Managed to talk about the band, promote the show, the bands history and we also talked about the Pandemic, Spaghetti and Pigs in Blankets all in about eight minutes.

See below for the Halloween element I mentioned about the gig and if you want to listen to me making a prat of myself you can do via the following link

Very happy from this point to just sit at the back and hit things.

IMG_1061.JPG

Juniper

Gold Member
you seemed quite relaxed to me :)

Thankfully the day job has given me enough experience talking whilst in somewhat pressured situations, but the feeling of cringing inside as I do forever remains 😂

Juniper

Gold Member
Was invited back onto the BBC Gloucestershire radio show again the week before last.

Managed to convince a couple of the founding band members to join me - which I think as very grateful for as I was deep into a rather nasty cold and barely sleeping at the time, which made thinking of things to say on the spot even harder, plus it meant people didn’t need to listen to just me blabbering on.

The others did very well and managed to plug a show we have coming up this weekend coming.

Al Strange

Platinum Member
Good to hear you’re out there smashing it! Your band mates and yourself come across as really decent folks too. All the best for 23 Jan mate!:D(y)

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
How you felt and what you sounded like we're two different things. I was ready to listen to you all nervous saying things that indicated so but it never showed up on tape. Great job!.

Juniper

Gold Member
Good to hear you’re out there smashing it! Your band mates and yourself come across as really decent folks too. All the best for 23 Jan mate!:D(y)
Thanks Al!

It's a really nice band of people and I'm enjoying it immensely.

How you felt and what you sounded like we're two different things. I was ready to listen to you all nervous saying things that indicated so but it never showed up on tape. Great job!.
It's the fear of not knowing what you'll be asked and freezing live on air. Also, my internet kicked me off the interview half way through, and I kept having to mute my mic from all the coughing.

All in all it was nice that the others did well, for me personally.

Juniper

Gold Member
I don't know quite what's happening but I received another call from the BBC today, this time asking me to actually "co-host" a show this time with the main presenter next Monday evening.

Meaning my 3rd appearance on the station in three months.

I certainly have a face for radio so maybe this bizarre twist of fate is suited to me 🤣

Last edited:

JimmyM

Platinum Member
I don't know quite what's happening but I received another call from the BBC today, this time asking me to actually "co-host" a show this time with the main presenter next Monday evening.

Meaning my 3rd appearance on the station in three months.

I certainly have a face for radio so maybe this bizarre twist of fate is suited to me 🤣
Hey man, have fun with it...maybe it is.