I converted my speed cobras to duct tape drive

loach71

wanted to try my chain pedal as a strap/belt drive .. so I made 1 out of duct tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWwnUE27L08&feature=youtu.be
If you want to make a more permanent strap drive for the Speed Cobra do the following:

1) Locate a used automotive serpentine drive belt. A good source is a wrecking yard. Ensure this belt is the exact same width as the Speed Cobra drive chain. Buy two if you can. Should cost about $5.00

2) Cut to the same length as the Speed Cobra drive chain. You must use wire cutters to do this as most automotive serpentine drive belts are reinforced with Kevlar -- scissors wont work. Drill holes in the ends for the attachment screws. Install on the pedal and enjoy.

3) I made 6 belts for approximately $5.00 I carry the spares in my drum tool box.

opentune

Platinum Member
Cool. Ahh the wonders of duct tape. Trial and error to use 3 pieces...or 4?
I did wonder how it would do on a really hot daytime gig out in the sun.

thebarak

It seems to work very well.

I bet the kids don't ask you for a shoulder ride when you wear that vest.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Nice Mcguyver move. I doubt a normal direct drive belt would break, but if it does, that's a fix that would work. Nice idea.

shadowlorde

If you want to make a more permanent strap drive for the Speed Cobra do the following:

1) Locate a used automotive serpentine drive belt. A good source is a wrecking yard. Ensure this belt is the exact same width as the Speed Cobra drive chain. Buy two if you can. Should cost about $5.00

2) Cut to the same length as the Speed Cobra drive chain. You must use wire cutters to do this as most automotive serpentine drive belts are reinforced with Kevlar -- scissors wont work. Drill holes in the ends for the attachment screws. Install on the pedal and enjoy.

3) I made 6 belts for approximately $5.00 I carry the spares in my drum tool box.
technically strap has to be a bit longer than the chain .. one end of the chain goes into a little groove and the screw goes through a plate like 1/2" further away . but i'll have to check into that. It was just something i wanted to f around with .. used cheap tape too .. but have 15 layers of it ( 5 pieces of tape folded into 3rds) feels pretty damn sturdy to me. worried about the holes ripping though . that belt won't snap in the middle I'd bet on it. gonna get some trex or gorilla tape and try again. that will be stronger and stiffer than the cheap stuff.

shadowlorde

Cool. Ahh the wonders of duct tape. Trial and error to use 3 pieces...or 4?
I did wonder how it would do on a really hot daytime gig out in the sun.
i used 5 pieces folded in 3rds 15 layers of cheap duct tape not the good gorilla or trex tape .. they are the next attempt

shadowlorde

Nice Mcguyver move. I doubt a normal direct drive belt would break, but if it does, that's a fix that would work. Nice idea.
fun experiment. never had a belt drive. converted my eliminators to direct drive.. wanted to try a belt without spending $40 for 2 chunks of kevlar .. said F-THAT! made it out of duct tape. I also made a stick bag out of duct tape.. sould make a vid on that .. and how I converted my eliminator to direct drive ..

check out my page https://www.youtube.com/drummerjez

shadowlorde

Pleased with results? Or lived and learned? Pretty cool just having the ingenuity to do it, Im impressed.
.. smooth.. solid ... just not sure how i like it compared between chain drive and direct drive . I need more time to play around with it to really decide.

shadowlorde

Bingo. That's what I did, just used a scrap piece of veg tanned leather that I had laying around. If you don't have a leather punch, just use a drill.
don't have any leather .. and i'm a spaz with duct tape ... add bass pedal belt and stick bag to the list of things you can make with duct tape :)