I Can't Drive 55 drum question

DaleClark

I heard the original recording on the radio today and was reminded of what I thought back in the day when the song was on heavy rotation. I believe the snare was added later OR the hi hats dubbed in later. I know it was (and is) not uncommon replace drums, overdub "fancier" high hat playing etc. There is something when, I listen to this ,that does not sound right with the drums. Maybe it is where the snare sits in the mix. A bit much going on with the hi hats and snare at the same time. I know David Louser is a fine drummer...just wondering if anyone knows any more about the recording aspect of this song.

Not that song per se, but so much re-recording and editing goes on with recordings, and every drum has its own mic and track, that almost anything is possible.

I think there is a tambourine overdubbed in the background. And maybe they used a little bit of a flanger effect on the hi-hat.

Then the snare likely has a gate and is eq-ed to sound deep.

The song came out in 1984, so sound replacement was not a thing yet, but that was the era of using a lot of sound processing effects on drums.

I think there is a tambourine overdubbed in the background. And maybe they used a little bit of a flanger effect on the hi-hat.

Then the snare likely has a gate and is eq-ed to sound deep.

The song came out in 1984, so sound replacement was not a thing yet, but that was the era of using a lot of sound processing effects on drums.
I agree with the thought about the flanger...that's what it sounds like to me as well

Back