I can't decide whether to spend $1K or up to $4K for a drum set.

Absolutely it does. High end kits are high end for a reason. Build quality and durability are just two factors.But it all really depends on what you need them for.
Will they just sit in your practice room ? Will you gig with them/ tour with them ?
Record with them ? If so … how much ?

Like everything, that depends. I’ve owned high end kits (at least 20) and mid-level kits (probably 8), and have learned that if I’m mic’d up, there’s no real huge difference. But I do notice a difference between my vintage Rogers XP8 maple kit (high end from 1979) and my 2021 Yamaha Stage Custom when they’re in a room side-by-side. But both get worked depending on the gig. I’ve also noticed that the better the player you are, the less it matters as well. I’m no Vinnie, but I can shut down quite a few loud mouths on a gig 😉

". . . but is the extra money getting you anything 2x to 3x better?"

Maybe but not necessarily. Rather than making presumptions related to price tags, why not explore each kit's specs to determine whether they appeal to you? You just might find that a 1K set is "better" (for you) than a 4K. "Better" is comparative and hence relative. A kit that's better for one drummer might not befit another in the least. Find what you want; then ask yourself whether you're willing to pay for it. Your taste and budget matter. Everything else is a distraction.

Last edited:
I would suggest to go inexpensive until you know in painstaking detail what you really go for in a drum set. Thin shell, thick shell, power sizes, hyper sizes, normal sizes, shell material preference, hardware style, shell sizes, die cast, triple flange, S hoops....lotsa factors. Sets are so good today it's hard to go wrong.

For example I like ultra thin walnut shells with TF hoops in standard sizes with lightweight hardware. I know this from owning all the sets I've owned.

Unless you know for sure exactly what you want, I'd go conservative. Cymbals are more critical than drums by far.

Last edited:
You get what you pay for. A higher price kit might sound similar to a lower priced kit, but the hardware will be much more durable and robust when spending more. Too many drummers just talk about how cheap and expensive kits sound the same. It's not just about sound, it's about durability, level of attention to detail, how well it holds tuning, finish quality, longevity, etc. If you only care about sound in the short term, buy a cheap kit. If you care about all the other parameters, only a more expensive kit will give you that.

You get what you pay for. A higher price kit might sound similar to a lower priced kit, but the hardware will be much more durable and robust when spending more. Too many drummers just talk about how cheap and expensive kits sound the same. It's not just about sound, it's about durability, level of attention to detail, how well it holds tuning, finish quality, longevity, etc. If you only care about sound in the short term, buy a cheap kit. If you care about all the other parameters, only a more expensive kit will give you that.
I tend agree with this. I don't want a kit that's going to go out of tune all the time and I want good hardware too.
Like everything, that depends. I’ve owned high end kits (at least 20) and mid-level kits (probably 8), and have learned that if I’m mic’d up, there’s no real huge difference. But I do notice a difference between my vintage Rogers XP8 maple kit (high end from 1979) and my 2021 Yamaha Stage Custom when they’re in a room side-by-side. But both get worked depending on the gig. I’ve also noticed that the better the player you are, the less it matters as well. I’m no Vinnie, but I can shut down quite a few loud mouths on a gig 😉
What kind of high end kits did you have and what was your favorite? 20 is a lot! Why did you go back to a Stage Custom after having high end kits? Job loss or financial situation?

It depends-- if you don't know how to tune a drum, or play it, it's not going to make a huge difference if it's an OK drum or a great drum.

And there doesn't have to be a huge price gap for quality. A new mid level set might not cost that much less than a used pro set.

It depends-- if you don't know how to tune a drum, or play it, it's not going to make a huge difference if it's an OK drum or a great drum.

And there doesn't have to be a huge price gap for quality. A new mid level set might not cost that much less than a used pro set.
What would be your mid-level examples with quality? I know how to tune pretty well. I have a good snare and cymbals.

The mid level kits of today offer great value for money. Unless you know what you want in the upper price range you mention - brand, wood combination, finish, sound, etc. - pick something in $1200 -$1500 range until you do. Anything from Yamaha, Tama, etc., will serve well and, if looked after, hold in resale value.

The mid level kits of today offer great value for money. Unless you know what you want in the upper price range you mention - brand, wood combination, finish, sound, etc. - pick something in $1200 -$1500 range until you do. Anything from Yamaha, Tama, etc., will serve well and, if looked after, hold in resale value.
Great advice right here.

1 k definitely. well under 2 k anyway. All of the upper mid level kits are great. I bought a used Tama Starclassic Performers Birch kit after owning a Yamaha Birch custom absolute neavoue kit and love it. I think I would be happy with tiny up the middle level drum sets

1 k definitely. well under 2 k anyway. All of the upper mid level kits are great. I bought a used Tama Starclassic Performers Birch kit after owning a Yamaha Birch custom absolute neavoue kit and love it. I think I would be happy with tiny up the middle level drum sets
Not into birch. Maple or some combo of it would be my choice.

Not into birch. Maple or some combo of it would be my choice.
Well it doesn't make any difference on the quality or price. There are wonderful mid level Maple and other woods. I just happen to like high quality Birch drums. I have some Ludwig clubdates that are Maple Poplar Maple and love them too. The point is mid level drums are great nowadays.

I only want to buy once. I've played a lousy kit for years and am finally making some decent money at my job. I'm not interested in buying another kit after this one I'm about to get. I play rock and funk.

I've looked at tour customs. I like their sizes but the finishes are pretty lackluster. Renown bass drums are too deep. I like 22" bass drums but not 18" deep.

Back