I bought it!

805Drummer

Gold Member
After lots of time spent listening to various crashes on Paiste's website, and musing over my financial situation, I decided it was time to buy.

Finally.

It hasn't come yet, but I got a 16" Paiste PST 5 Thin Crash. And it sounds SOOOO GOOOOD (on Paiste's website).

I can't wait. I even ordered a Pacific 700 straight stand for my ZXT splash, and a Pearl CH70 (I think) mount clamp boom thingy to attach to my current Pacific 800 straight stand that's holding my tom, which will hold the new PST 5.

Man, I love new gear.

drumhead61

Gold Member
After lots of time spent listening to various crashes on Paiste's website, and musing over my financial situation, I decided it was time to buy.

Finally.

It hasn't come yet, but I got a 16" Paiste PST 5 Thin Crash. And it sounds SOOOO GOOOOD (on Paiste's website).

I can't wait. I even ordered a Pacific 700 straight stand for my ZXT splash, and a Pearl CH70 (I think) mount clamp boom thingy to attach to my current Pacific 800 straight stand that's holding my tom, which will hold the new PST 5.

Man, I love new gear.
Congrats on the new gear...I love it too ;-)

805Drummer

Gold Member
Yeah, as opposed to used/traded gear.

I've even taken other broken cymbals lying around and held them in the air to see what my kit would look like with 2 new cymbals. Two, rather than one, because my ZXT Flash Splash doesn't have a stand.

BattleArmor

Silver Member
I'm sure you'll love it. I prefer to buy used gear, but what ever floats your boat. Paiste cymbals I have found to be pretty consistent with sound so it should sound pretty close to what is on the website.

805Drummer

Gold Member
I'm sure you'll love it. I prefer to buy used gear, but what ever floats your boat. Paiste cymbals I have found to be pretty consistent with sound so it should sound pretty close to what is on the website.
Yeah, I just went to Guitar Center today, and it sounded...good. But I'm sure it will sound better in my room, because my PST 3 sounds TERRIBLE in Guitar Center, but awesome at home.

I would buy used, but then you have to wait until someone sells something you want. Or bid on it, and the price usually goes way up on good deals. And my parents don't like Craigslist. And I LOVE the shiny new look of brand new cymbals.

razorx

Platinum Member
Yeah, I just went to Guitar Center today, and it sounded...good. But I'm sure it will sound better in my room, because my PST 3 sounds TERRIBLE in Guitar Center, but awesome at home.

I would buy used, but then you have to wait until someone sells something you want. Or bid on it, and the price usually goes way up on good deals. And my parents don't like Craigslist. And I LOVE the shiny new look of brand new cymbals.
Keep in mind that if u abuse ur gear and dont clean it, it wont be looking new for a long time.

BattleArmor

Silver Member
Def. a misconception I would say. I think time gives the illusion of sounding better. Your ears have to get used to the new sound you have, and once that is done, it will slowly begin to sound better and better to you, since you grow more accustom to the sound it makes. Also, over time, generally cymbals mellow out, so sometimes when I buy cymbals that will be in my bright category[I have a bright cymbal cat. and dark cymbal cat.], I buy them a bit brighter than I would usually want them, since I plan on having the cymbal for a while. Sure cleaning keeps them shiny but beware of some cleaners. That black stuff that gets on your towel is part of the cymbal.

Solaris

Silver Member
I only buff my cymbals with a rag from time to time. That 'black stuff' can actually be apart of the protective coating put on a cymbal, and certain cleaning products can take it off. Stufflike Brasso is a no no. Personally I think a bit of grime on a cymbal is fine and doesn't affect the sound too much.

I wouldn't worry with polishing it overly, it will just accumulate more stick/finger marks and you'll have to clean it again. Do watch out for water/sweat though, perhaps give them a wipe off after each practice.

Congrats on the new cymbal, remember to play it properly and it should last you ages. Paiste make some great intermediate cymbals.

BattleArmor

Silver Member
I . Do watch out for water/sweat though, perhaps give them a wipe off after each practice.

Congrats on the new cymbal, remember to play it properly and it should last you ages. Paiste make some great intermediate cymbals.
They do make great interm. cymbals. And I agree about the sweat thing. I have one cymbal that has a green hand print on it.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Sure cleaning keeps them shiny but beware of some cleaners. That black stuff that gets on your towel is part of the cymbal.
Some cleaners are better than others, but no cymbal cleaner is going to take anything away from or off the cymbal unless you are using acid.

The black is the dirt that has built up over time coming off.

If you have ever used any polishing compound, then you'd see the black that always ends up on a cloth.

That is the compound and the dirt, not the metal coming off.

Most cymbal companies have their own cleaners, and there are several cymbal cleaning products out there.

Some work better than others and people have their favorites which are in the "cleaning cymbals" thread.

Personally, I've used Wright's Copper Cream for over 25 years.
It works great with very little effort, & cleaning time per cymbal is very fast (with no worry of drying and causing a headache like some of the spray on stuff).

805Drummer

Gold Member
Some cleaners are better than others, but no cymbal cleaner is going to take anything away from or off the cymbal unless you are using acid.

The black is the dirt that has built up over time coming off.

If you have ever used any polishing compound, then you'd see the black that always ends up on a cloth.

That is the compound and the dirt, not the metal coming off.

Most cymbal companies have their own cleaners, and there are several cymbal cleaning products out there.

Some work better than others and people have their favorites which are in the "cleaning cymbals" thread.

Personally, I've used Wright's Copper Cream for over 25 years.
It works great with very little effort, & cleaning time per cymbal is very fast (with no worry of drying and causing a headache like some of the spray on stuff).
Great advice, I'll look into getting some cymbal cleaner. However, I like the look of bashed cymbals, so as long as it's not damaging the cymbal or making it sound worse, I'd rather not bother.

king fail

Don't cymbals sound better if you don't clean them? Or is that a misconception?
actually, when i bought my 18" XS20 china, i was kinda disappointed with the sound. but now, 3 years and no cleaning have made this cymbal FILTHY ...(somehow), and that is reflected in the sound, it is now extremely trashy and raw sounding, rather than the pathetic half-hearted "ching" i got when i first bought it.

805Drummer

Gold Member
actually, when i bought my 18" XS20 china, i was kinda disappointed with the sound. but now, 3 years and no cleaning have made this cymbal FILTHY ...(somehow), and that is reflected in the sound, it is now extremely trashy and raw sounding, rather than the pathetic half-hearted "ching" i got when i first bought it.
Exactly. That's what I've been told. Someone needs to buy a cymbal, record it perfectly, and then wait 1 year, 5, years, even 10 and 20 years, and record it the same way, again. Or once a month.

TheIronCobr4

Yeah, as opposed to used/traded gear.
I'm a little late to the party but I'm curious as to why a used cymbal is a problem. More often then not you can get higher and better quality cymbals cheaper, which means faster, then spending full price for a brand new cymbal. Sure everyone loves the brand new shine but the novelty of that runs off pretty fast. I'm not trying to put you on the spot but I'm just saying people should be open to used gear.

805Drummer

Gold Member
I thought you said you like a shiny new cymbal?
Well, when I first get it. By shiny new cymbal, I mean a brand new one, and all the markings on it are mine.

And sure I'm open to buying used, but there were simply no good deals on Craigslist at the moment. Or ebay.