I am rubbish. Online lesson/structured practice recommendations?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well there are different tiers of drummers like about everything else-so always a niche for rubbish drummers. I'm grateful I've had some great experiences that I think helped me go from utter rubbish to trash that you turn into some useful item-like a lamp or something. You know the ole even worms gotta eat adage. If you aren't happy in your niche-change it-but I just really want to make more lamps-otherwise I'd already taken lessons or done something to change that long ago. I tease taken up the sax again-but I haven't. I think I just like to think about it-you know what I mean. I think you really need to focus on what it is you want and how hard you want to work for it. Being a pro is just to demanding and to much work for my choice-I admire those who take that "gauntlet". You stated you're more proficient at other instruments so it isn't for a lack of musical talent-you just haven't desired it. Now you desire a change but what does that mean? I decided I want to be more musical and creative in my choices just with the talents and tool box I have. Do you really want to be pro with huge chops or are you just asking how can play simply better/more tasteful for the venues I'm doing. I have to focus my desires-which is just about impossible.

brentcn

Platinum Member
My long term goal is to play better on recordings. I already play on recordings, but I'd like to be good enough so that I'm not only used when nobody else can do it!

This is a great goal! And you’ve somewhat narrowed your stylistic goals, by saying “not jazz”. But, you should learn at least some jazz beats and coordination exercises, even if you never intend to play jazz. Learning rhythms that swing will help you to develop a more fluid feel, and to be able to play other styles that sometimes swing (RnB, blues, funk, rock, reggae). Learning a wide variety of drumming styles will be good for your playing, in any style. It’s probably this breadth of experience that helps other drummers to sound better than you do right now.

Spreggy

Silver Member
Get private lessons with a competent player-- via skype/zoom/facetime right now, obviously. The online products that don't involve live interaction with a person are a waste of time and money. Some small percentage of drumming videos on youtube are OK, but figuring out what applies *to you*, *right now* is difficult-- that's what lessons are for, and it can't be duplicated by any other product.
Okay ChampionRabbit, I had spent far too long down the rabbit hole you're in. The above post is the only truth. Don't subscribe to nothin. Don't join a community and stare at each other's half-assed videos. Get a f-ing teacher, period, the end. Get off the web and practice the living hell out of what your teacher says to practice. Skype lessons work! You've got to work out that the reason you suck is you have a teacher, yourself, who sucks! We all suck! Until we get a teacher. You need a teacher to look right at your playing hands and say "Fix THIS."
You're gonna love it. Pick one from the teacher's thread. toddbishop, brentcn, jeffwj, these guys have it together. I'm sure there are others.

Auspicious

:eek:

But what if he decides not to take a teacher.. ?? There is pressure now. 😂 ah man I love it when it's not me.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

....sounds to me like you will have to do the biggest fix on your own...and that is practicing. all of the lessons, Youtube videos, books etc are worthless if you don't have a focused practice routine. You hhave to be ready for some of the practice to seem mundane, or not directly related to playing recognizable beats on the set, but it all leads you away from being rubbish

Reps will erase rubbish, plain and simple

jimb

Musicians spend way to long looking at other musicians on YTube showing off lightning fast "chops" etc when what the paying audience really need is a solid groove.
I bet a trunk full of monkees that U R not a bad drummer. Can u hold a steady groove?, eights on the hats etc, and a solid bass drum. No need for doubles etc.....dont over think this....if ur solid even without the frilly bits you a good drummer in my book.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Musicians spend way to long looking at other musicians on YTube showing off lightning fast "chops" etc when what the paying audience really need is a solid groove.
I bet a trunk full of monkees that U R not a bad drummer. Can u hold a steady groove?, eights on the hats etc, and a solid bass drum. No need for doubles etc.....dont over think this....if ur solid even without the frilly bits you a good drummer in my book.

and on the flip side, it is also ok to want to up your chops game a bit, and keep your self entertained...being able to play a solid groove is just one musical demand.

Don't limit yourself to just one tool in the tool box; don't be afraid to get into something you can't do at first, and then work on evolving it. Being able to play a solid groove is the foundation, but not the end.

I am a working drummer...in a normal year I play at least 3 or 4 times a month in various situations. Playing a "money beat" to an indifferent audience is probably only 10% of what I get payed, or asked to play. Much of my playing/paying gigs demands a moderate level chops and knowledge...probably 40%...that leaves me with 50% of my playing time being spent in practice/my own time....you don't want to get bored in that majority of time.

Lastly, don't be critical of yourself versus other people...BUT, it is ok to aspire to reach a certain goal, and that might be exhibited in other peoples playing...to this day - after 45 years of playing - I still have many idols that I look up to, and many things to still accomplish...the key is that you are always learning. You are never "done". To me, it would be terrifying to "reach and end" of drumming...