I Am Leaving This Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well Mark seems like a truly nice person who does't have malice or anger in his heart. He may have taken the issues such he felt he had to choose between his faith and the forum-so he chose the former. Course I believe that would be a misunderstanding. Oldskool makes a valid posit with some music is political , religious, etc. so rules aren't clear to that point.
Or may have had nothing to do with the video but just feels the forum is sort of a microcosm of the world and perhaps no place for him. This pandemic has brought out the best in some people and worse in others. TBH I've never felt so much negativity, anger and even hate as I do today in my home country. I have to check that crap at the door before I go raging-but all the negative drags me down for sure. We get into petty squabbles and arguments, putting people on ignore, putting a person down or a lack of civility on here at times. I understand that I use to defend my opinions like a rabid dog but rabid dogs scare the hell out of people. We can all be more civil.
He may just be taking a hiatus from social media-probably a good idea for everyone to do so. So lets hope he returns.

someguy01

Gold Member
Peace and goodwill to you sir. May you find what you seek in the greater world.

Thin Shell

Regular Poster
Posting a link to a church service on a group with a no politics/religion rule was clearly over the line . A very reasonable request was made to link to only the songs. Personally, I don't want to see religious songs here, because there is a time and place for that, but that's just me. Using that as justification to leave is just a over reaction in my opinion.

pocket player

He likely took that the wrong way; it's so easy to misunderstand someone's intention or purpose for doing or saying something on a forum because there's no face to face happening. We all just respond to others' actions or typed words and it's not the same as communicating in person.
Thats whats going wrong in our society !!

pocket player

Well Mark seems like a truly nice person who does't have malice or anger in his heart. He may have taken the issues such he felt he had to choose between his faith and the forum-so he chose the former. Course I believe that would be a misunderstanding. Oldskool makes a valid posit with some music is political , religious, etc. so rules aren't clear to that point.
Or may have had nothing to do with the video but just feels the forum is sort of a microcosm of the world and perhaps no place for him. This pandemic has brought out the best in some people and worse in others. TBH I've never felt so much negativity, anger and even hate as I do today in my home country. I have to check that crap at the door before I go raging-but all the negative drags me down for sure. We get into petty squabbles and arguments, putting people on ignore, putting a person down or a lack of civility on here at times. I understand that I use to defend my opinions like a rabid dog but rabid dogs scare the hell out of people. We can all be more civil.
He may just be taking a hiatus from social media-probably a good idea for everyone to do so. So lets hope he returns.
some valid points get a gripp

cbphoto

Gold Member
Yeah, even if it wasn't religious in nature, no one wants to sit through a 3 hour video to watch a handful of songs.
Try doing that every Sunday morning. If the preacher ain’t cookin’, it ain’t worth lookin’.

@Drumolator : Peace and goodwill, brother.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well a lot of classical music is religious and it influenced a lot of other genres, lot of music is infused with spirituality or political influences ( like reggae, Dylan, etc,) lot of music is dark and references to violence, rape, misogyny, satan, etc. We could ban about all music for one reason or another if go that path of catering to those who find it offensive. You also have to consider some music is deeper than it appears-religious or even dark themed music-they can actually touch on same issue. I don't have a problem with any style of music but no one wants to watch a political speaker because the band played there, or a whole sermon because the band played there, or the secret meeting of Masons because the band played there (well I'm a little curious what they are doing in secret LOL), etc. But a lack of diversity of thought, culture, music, etc isn't human/biological,evolutionary. All humans have differences (polymorphisms) in anatomical features, genetic features, physiological features , adaptive features, cultural/ethnic differences, etc. I always see diversity as a good sign-even if I don't agree with it. So I think any style of music is fine-but requesting it only be the music isn't prohibitive.

Course that's just my opinion (which is correct with impunity) and if any of you ignoramuses disagree and want to knock my chip off my shoulder I'll beat you silly and eat your vital organs like a raptor ROFL. Just kidding-Peace and Goodwill. Well Goodwill for sure-peace I gave up on giving it a chance LOL. On our local Bandmix religious groups are often looking for a drummer-so appears to be one of the most popular venues for a drummer to play in my area. I use to play several churches when I was gigging-kept me more busy than any other gigs (course I live in the Bible Belt with several churches within blocks of each other). People wanting to form bands trend towards metal, alternative, classic rock-which I'd really like to join a funk or jazz band. No better way to get better than throw yourself in the fire to harden your steel.

Old PIT Guy

Regular Poster
I think the problem is pretty simple, and it starts when people view social media as a microcosm of anything beyond the larger Internet on which it exists.

Social media is a facsimile of socialization; relationships exist here in a simulacrum. There are no facial expressions, no handshakes or touching of any kind, no registering of auditory inflections of the voice that impart meaning and nuance; IOW, zero actual human interaction.

What replaces all of that, on the whole, is a retconning of the real world through platforming an ostensibly more preferable personal posture by pretense, posing and sometimes outright fiction.

When the two worlds collide personal stuff blows up. Add religion and you've bought a ticket to a shitshow in a dumpster fire.

cbphoto

Gold Member
and sometimes outright fiction.
Off topic:

1. What do you think is the percentage of posts by the average human that are 100% honest?

2. How much better would the web be if this axiom were applied: “If you can’t post something positive & uplifting & honest, don’t post anything”?

Yes, positive feedback ≠ honesty, but if you have a mate or a child you know the difference and how to thread that needle.

GruntersDad

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
I'm sure if this was handled better from the beginning, we wouldn't have lost a valued member. The members are what makes this forum what it is, maybe that should be remembered more.
Tell me how better please.

organworthyplayer337

Regular Poster
I know for one, I have avoided, and continue to avoid, asking for help/posting to “Your Playing” because some of the stuff I was working on was CCM (Contemporary Christian Music). To me, it’s a fun genre that is relaxing to play. But I know it’s a quick ticket for some harmful/rude and personal things to be said, so I don’t bother. 10 foot pole.

I could see how (assuming Drumolator is of older age) he literally just couldn’t do what was being asked. I am a young, relatively tech savvy person. I don’t have the means to simply edit together a video of multiple parts, especially if I don’t own it.

A lot of people are mentioning link to specific times on YT, which is simpler. But maybe not for someone his age/technical experience.

I personally don’t see the problem with posting the entire thing and including time stamps. People do it to shows/events, there’s always lag time in between sets. Nobody is forcing anyone to watch anything all the way through (I wouldn’t have either, I would’ve skipped to the playing). But hey, I’m not a mod and I’m not trying to get kicked 😂

All in all, I didn’t know him very much, but he seems to have made a positive impact on most here. I hope he is comfortable and at peace with his decision. This place can get a little… umm… yeah. Hopping off any form of social media is a GREAT thing.

edit: spelling 😭

Last edited:

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
As far as i remember the thread (called “me playing at church”) there were a few videos allready posted half a year ago that no one gave any attention to..

Then a few days ago he posted a FB link to a complete service where he played..

Why would he need to edit a FB link..?

He described the link in his post as a link to a complete church service..

Meaning, only people who are interested in a complete church service would have been confrontated with that by clicking the link..

I am not religious myself, but saw no problem at all with this..🙂

cbphoto

Gold Member
Maybe the dude is terminally ill and simply wanted to cut loose baggage.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I wish people would accept that there are completely valid opinions that are directly opposed to their own, and be OK with that. It's a mature thing to allow, not judge other people's own personal hard won opinions. Acceptance is a wonderful thing. Religion is too touchy of a matter to be discussed in a forum. Even innocent actions, can offend easily offendable people. It's almost as if people are actively searching for ways to be offended so they can make it worse. If something or someone's words manages to offend me (not likely) yea, I just keep that to myself. My way is certainly not the only way. It's really no big deal. I accept that I don't agree but I don't feel the other person is wrong. They are right from their POV, their genetics, their journey that brought us here. I have no need to be right...on anything. I'd rather be entertained by those that do need to be right on everything.

From what I see way too many people feel it's their moral duty to air out their volatile opinions, political and otherwise, like it's going to do some good. Ha ha. Silly humans. No one cares what my opinion is. Only theirs. That's the way it is for the majority. It's not right, or wrong, it just is.

I do realize I'm doing just that, airing my opinion right now. I hope I'm not adding to the problem, but I probably am. Nothing is perfect.

Last edited:

prokofi5

Moderators did their best to interpret the rules of the forum in regards to posting. It wasn't done out of spite or to oppress anyone but out of consideration for others. Not sure why some see it as a full-on assault on their rights if they're not allowed to do 100% what they want 100% of the time in 100% of places. If I'm told "no" on something, I might grumble for a bit but then I move on not make some melodramatic statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.