I Am Leaving This Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

graysonator

Yea - the radio dude.

John Wesley Gibson - he was a mainstay here for a long time. A touch abrasive, only because that was his humor and he got mildly told to cool it and had an adverse reaction.

I liked John - he did some cool stuff like patina metal snares, etc. - he was a straight shooter....too straight of a shooter on occasion.
Yea he’s been gone for a minute, I’m sure he’ll be back sometime

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..The best way to leave a forum is to quietly log out and never return..

Nah, lol..

But still, not sure if i was right, but if i was, that gives a new perspective on the non-religious rule..

Like, religious comments are not allowed….clear..

But a link to a church service where you actually play….is that a religious statement..?

Not that clear…

Can someone post a drum cover of some sort of Satan or anti-gouvernement tune..?

Or, a la Peter Erskine, show a certain item (that shows your political views) next your drum set in a drum cover video..?

Not meant to start a huge debate btw..

Just wondering about this..🙂

NouveauCliche

Nah, lol..

But still, not sure if i was right, but if i was, that gives a new perspective on the non-religious rule..

Like, religious comments are not allowed….clear..

But a link to a church service where you actually play….is that a religious statement..?

Not that clear…

Can someone post a drum cover of some sort of Satan or anti-gouvernement tune..?

Or, a la Peter Erskine, show a certain item (that shows your political views) next your drum set in a drum cover video..?

Not meant to start a huge debate btw..

Just wondering about this..🙂

I missed the thread - did it turn into a religious debate?

People are touchy about that stuff - even if it wasn't a mod, enough comments of an unagreeable nature - especially about religious can very easily scare people away.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
@NouveauCliche

When i looked, the thread had no comments or debate, the thread was only locked and the last post was a link from him to a church service on FB where he played..

I assumed that religious factor was the reason to lock (and later remove) the thread..

Ofcourse i can be completely wrong with that..

newoldie

Silver Member
Drumolator- thank you for your honest, clear and unbiased posts which were always refreshing to read. And thank you for turning me on to a few Sabian cymbals that spurred me to buy and own, which I use regularly-- and which without your opinion chiming in, I would never have investigated to any degree first-hand...:geek:

ToneT

I am leaving this forum. May all of you have a great life, and may all of your drums, cymbals, and hardware always be what you want. Peace and goodwill.

Do not bother responding because I will not see it.
Best to you always, brother drummer.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Mark had posted two different videos of his playing at church. It looked as though someone had video’d both entire church services, sermons and all. I asked him to edit the videos although he may not have been able as the videos weren’t his. I locked the thread until such time that he could respond or edit. I never heard from him until I read his I’m leaving post. At that point I deleted the thread.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Yea - the radio dude.

John Wesley Gibson - he was a mainstay here for a long time. A touch abrasive, only because that was his humor and he got mildly told to cool it and had an adverse reaction.

I liked John - he did some cool stuff like patina metal snares, etc. - he was a straight shooter....too straight of a shooter on occasion.
Oh yeah! I remember him. Just didn't put it all together. Thanks for clarifying.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Mark had posted two different videos of his playing at church. It looked as though someone had video’d both entire church services, sermons and all. I asked him to edit the videos although he may not have been able as the videos weren’t his. I locked the thread until such time that he could respond or edit. I never heard from him until I read his I’m leaving post. At that point I deleted the thread.

He likely took that the wrong way; it's so easy to misunderstand someone's intention or purpose for doing or saying something on a forum because there's no face to face happening. We all just respond to others' actions or typed words and it's not the same as communicating in person.

NouveauCliche

Well that doesn't seem enough to leave over - thanks for clarifying.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
It saddens me to see Mark go, as it seems due to a misunderstanding of intent. He's a good guy.

As for posting music in a religious setting. my understanding is there is zero issue with that unless there's some sort of malicious content. It's only religious discussion that's not permitted here, along with politics & other matters likely to divide / distract.

I have had members contact me in the past hesitant to post music in a religious setting, & asking for opinion. I've always been very supportive of such posts. Given the number of members playing in a worship setting, it's a performance medium that's under represented.

All that said, although I haven't interacted with the thread in question, clearly a full religious service with songs positioned through the video at various points is something that requires editing attention, even if only on the basis of viewer engagement with content of interest to forum members.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
My issue was not the music or the subject of same, but the majority of both videos was religious service and not music, so I was trying to nip what I thought would end up a huge argument, before it began. Had mark told me he would try to get it edited first, there would have been no issue. I never heard from him. I made a decision based on my interpretation of the rules as I see them. By no means was banning or any such, mentioned. I would have worked with him given the chance.

So nobody is friends with him on facebook or has his e-mail? This all seems like a big and unnecessary dispute. Leaving like this certainly looks like he's angry/disappointed/whatever.

If the video was on youtube, it's quite easy to use a time stamp by adding e.g. "?t=1373" - this would jump directly to 1373 seconds in. You don't need to do the math yourself - just right-click in the video and select the option to copy the video URL including the time stamp.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I will miss that “peace and goodwill” sign-off.

I found it oddly comforting in these turbulent and angst-filled times 😢
Agreed.
I understand the need to leave, but to do so in such an abrupt way is puzzling.
I hope he's well and returns one day.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Thanks for chiming in on this GD. Seems to me he's overreacting to a reasonable request - I hope he reconsiders.
On the other hand, I don't really see the harm in just linking to a church service rather than actually posting the whole
thing on this forum. So I sort of see both sides. I wouldn't watch it either way.

Peace and goodwill. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.