I am having problems playing in front of people got any tips to help

It's better to attempt something simple and nailing it than to attempt something difficult and failing.

Solos are the hardest thing for me too. You are not alone there, by a long shot. Soloing...it's something most working drummers have to cope with.

I'd say the majority of drummers here would rather skip the solo, myself included.

Soloing an already worked out thing is probably a better bet than trying to solo on the fly, but only you can decide if that's the way forward.

If you have a choice about what you are going to be playing, you might choose something that’s WAY under your playing ability. Still work on it and practice like crazy but know that in reality you can play much more complex pieces. Playing way under your actual ability can instantly boost your confidence on stage.

Thank you for posting this question. This is my new favorite thread. Fantastic advice all around!

I have social anxiety

Same here. I avoid everything socially unfamiliar, and places with too many people. Parties, bars, grocery shopping, the mall, changing jobs is a nightmare, even talking on the phone to people I don't know. If possible, I rehearse everything, or make it so people avoid me or I can avoid them. It makes things easier in a not so easy situation. I feel your pain, social anxiety sucks.

As stated, get the part down so well you just do it. Nothing says you can't close your eyes either.

Drumming could be a great treatment for your social anxiety.

Use your drumming to help you through. If you can just get through this, that means you beat it once.

It's you against your fears.

One of the best quotes I ever heard was (paraphrased)...

Your greatest hopes and desires are placed just beyond your fears.

Fears are self made illusions. They are phantoms. A phantom is defined as a figment of the imagination. A figment is defined as a thing that someone believes to be real but that exists only in their imagination.

You already have all the mental control you need. It's a matter of using it. Like a muscle you want to strengthen. It's there, it just needs to be worked out.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

:)

Last edited:
Fears are self made illusions. They are phantoms. A phantom is defined as a figment of the imagination. A figment is defined as a thing that someone believes to be real but that exists only in their imagination.

That's the thing Uncle Larry, it's not really a fear. It's a reaction to a situation, and something you have no control over. It's like being claustrophobic. Claustrophobics aren't necessarily afraid of the small space, it's the mental and physical reaction that happens once inside the small space. That's the part you can't control.

I'm not afraid to do or go to any of the things I listed above. It's the things that are out of my control that cause the anxiety.

The OP probably has no problem playing the snare and working out the solo. He also probably has no problem being around or with the person/people who he will be performing the solo in front of. It's the combination of the factors at hand, and stress, that causes anxiety. It takes much more than just convincing yourself that everything is going to be okay to overcome it. I've actually ended up in the hospital because of anxiety. Nothing was physically wrong, but that didn't make the panic attacks and feeling like I was having a heart attack go away. It's not nearly as simple as people who don't have anxiety think.

Yep, competence breeds confidence. There's no way around it really.
Actually, un-earned bravado and inflated sense of personal skill will also cause you to not have nerves on stage. Maybe not cause you to actually play well, which is more associated with practice and humble self reflection.

Play the solo for friends and family. Do a few test runs.

When is your performance scheduled? Do you have a lot of time to practice. Practice the solo every day.

Ah. Ok. Practice that snare part every day multiple times a day until it's as second nature as breathing. You may have nerves when you actually get up there. That's unavoidable. But the better you know the music, the easier it will be for you to push through it and feel comfortable. And remember this. No one will know you screwed up except you.

Actually, un-earned bravado and inflated sense of personal skill will also cause you to not have nerves on stage. Maybe not cause you to actually play well, which is more associated with practice and humble self reflection.

Try telling that to orchestral players at the top of their game...years of practise and study, every bar note perfect....but I bet some still get nervous.

Thank you all It worked I freaked out at the start but I relaxed and I made 100

Congrats. You learned a valuable lesson here. You learned that it's ok to be nervous. You learned that life will not end playing in front of people. And you learned that you can actually do it and do it well. From here on out, you will find playing in front of people to be easier and easier.

Good for you!
Lots of suggestions....practice builds confidence. What helped me was realizing that the audience is always on your side and usually won't even realize if you do make a mistake.

But now I have to play a marimba and a high and low snare the marimba is it's own solo the snares are together
Great! More responsibilities means your audience thought you were great! Congratulations!

Last edited:
Back