I am a one brand drummer ... now I inching to play muitiple - brands.

JaysonJeanChannel

I am a one brand because I love supporting said brand and in love with the idea being a artist or watching the various artists. Now ... I want to branch out or have more. I've slowly been doing this, which led me fully go from Evans heads to Remo heads, or to re-fall in love with Pearl drums. It's quite a odd feeling because I used to be held bent on just one of the brand(s) before, now it feels like I'm all over the place.

Whoops ... just realize I've posted this in the "Cymbals" section ... well I have been looking at cymbals as well so hopefully it still counts. :ROFLMAO:

I just purchased a renown kit and due to a recent post from a Pearl enthusiast I'm lusting over a black pearl set. After seeing John Dittrich on a restless heart video (still on YouTube) playing his kit on a tune called back to the heartbreak kid has me searching ebay for a black pearl kit in certain sizes. Damn...here I go again.

It’s a pleasure to see you awaken and realise that there’s a whole universe of possibilities out there that you can experience, explore and enjoy...brand loyalty is misplaced; if something works for you, but it has another name on it, why wouldn’t you go with it?! (y) :) We all joke about being a ‘this’ guy, or ‘that’ guy, but ultimately we play what feels right for us...that’s typically Pearl, Premier and Paiste!?;)(y)

It’s a pleasure to see you awaken and realise that there’s a whole universe of possibilities out there that you can experience, explore and enjoy...brand loyalty is misplaced; if something works for you, but it has another name on it, why wouldn’t you go with it?! (y) :) We all joke about being a ‘this’ guy, or ‘that’ guy, but ultimately we play what feels right for us...that’s typically Pearl, Premier and Paiste!?;)(y)
I have been eyeing Paiste lately. I've been brushing it off because of the price ... but looking and listening to it iscomplete eye candy!

I was just reading an article on why people change brands, and five reasons were listed: 1. Better value for money; 2. Superior marketing mix (lower prices + better products + increased distribution channels); 3. Technological advancement; 4. Overall better marketing communications; and 5. "Brand fatigue" with the former brand.
I was always a Zildjian guy and in no way had brand fatigue. But I picked up some Dream cymbals for a price I just couldn't pass by. Now I play both. The Dreams just have a unique sound that I really like. They're a little harder to find than Zildjians, but the prices seem to be about 1/3 lower.

My unshakable Pearl loyalty is well established in this forum, so musing on in it here would be redundant. I am equally firm in my commitment to Remo heads and AHEAD sticks. But my Zildjian alignment, though decisive and enduring, is less resistant to potential change. Paiste Giant Beats sometimes invade my slumber, beckoning me from the darkest recesses of the demonic underworld. "Join us," they chant as I toss and turn, seemingly steeped in a fever dream. My defiance is courageous, but its capacity to withstand unrelenting torment is vulnerable. Given that I have a brand-new set of Zildjian A Avedis pies (with which I am, by the way, completely satisfied), I won't be jumping ship anytime soon, though I can't rule out a Paiste migration in years to come.

Last edited:
My unshakable Pearl loyalty is well established in this forum, so musing on in it here would be redundant. I am equally firm in my commitment to Remo heads and AHEAD sticks. But my Zildjian alignment, though decisive and enduring, is less resistant to potential change. Paiste Giant Beats sometimes invade my slumber, beckoning me from the darkest recesses of the demonic underworld. "Join us," they chant as I toss and turn, seemingly steeped in a fever dream. My resistance is courageous, but its capacity to withstand unrelenting torment is vulnerable. Given that I have a brand-new set of Zildjian A Avedis pies (with which I am, by the way, completely satisfied), I won't be jumping ship anytime soon, though I can't rule out a Paiste migration in years to come.
C.M.JONES...thumb a ride over to YouTube..type in restless heart back to the heartbreak kid and listen to those luscious Pearls!..i know I know.....alot of processing but you can't polish a turd..that kit and sound keep me awake. You may not like the tune but the drum sound floors me.

I relate to the OP's sentiment strongly, but I realized that one can mix things up without going down the road of complete hodgepodge mix and match - and that until I get sponsored by someone, I can bend my allegiances as much as I like.

I used to be a TaylorMade guy from top to bottom of the bag, then I switched to Titleist irons and then wedges. I don't carry around five different makers in my bag, but I rationalize my non-mono-brandedness with logic that works for me. Anything like a wood - TaylorMade. Anything like an iron - Titleist.

I was the same with drums and cymbals until very recently. ALL Yamaha and ALL Zildjian. In the past few weeks, I picked up a Paiste Swiss splash to create the stack sound I was looking for and I ordered a PDP Limited Edition snare to use as a side snare. The logic that helps me sleep at night is that those are special and specific items that aren't disrupting the core of the brands I use. Would I use Sabian hats with Zildjian crashes? No way. Would I use a Ludwig BD with Yamaha toms? Are you insane?

I'm kidding to some extent here, but I've definitely enjoyed my pursuits after allowing myself to pick from everything out there. ...While still not throwing an aesthetic out the window.

C.M.JONES...thumb a ride over to YouTube..type in restless heart back to the heartbreak kid and listen to those luscious Pearls!..i know I know.....alot of processing but you can't polish a turd..that kit and sound keep me awake. You may not like the tune but the drum sound floors me.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give them a listen this afternoon.

C.M.JONES...thumb a ride over to YouTube..type in restless heart back to the heartbreak kid and listen to those luscious Pearls!.

At 1:01 of the "(Back to the) Heartbreak Kid" video it looks like "Pearl" in white script is on the bottom of the cymbal. What is that all about?

I've always had a mix of cymbals all my life. Primarily because I couldn't afford new cymbals so I would pick up whatever I could afford that happened to come my way. Most of my life I've only had one drum set at a time so having multiple Brands was not an option. Now that I'm 60 and playing in Bands That Make a little bit of money I use most of that money to buy new gear. So I have Yamaha Power Tour custom I bought new in 1988 and 2003 model Tama performer kit, and a 2019 model Ludwig Club date kit. I now have some high-end cymbals but they're all mixed. 1 Paiste Sig and several Zildjian A s and K s and several Sabian high-end cymbals.

I didn't even know it was possible to get drums, cymbals, heads and hardware all from a single brand.
It's new to me since I'm not really a Pearl guy, but apparently Pearl used to sell Pearl-branded cymbals made OEM by Sabian so, yes, it was possible to get everything as a single brand.

Brand loyalty can only be tolerated if you have given tons of other brands a chance - before settling on the "one and only" brand, be it cymbals, drums, hardware or your socks.

And Pearl drums are mediocre beginner stuff.

Just kidding. :)

Back