I am a one brand drummer ... now I inching to play muitiple - brands.

brushes

Brand loyalty can only be tolerated if you have given tons of other brands a chance - before settling on the "one and only" brand, be it cymbals, drums, hardware or your socks.

And Pearl drums are mediocre beginner stuff.

Just kidding. :)

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It's new to me since I'm not really a Pearl guy, but apparently Pearl used to sell Pearl-branded cymbals made OEM by Sabian so, yes, it was possible to get everything as a single brand.

Poor sucker who has that fetish.

Zildjian guy my whole life—I don't even recall seeing anything else back when I started in the early-mid 80s, other than the cheapest budget stuff (and when I read about hate for Sabian B8s I remember the absolute junk I started on)—but recently bought a Paiste 2002 crash and am now literally dreaming of getting a full set.

Bozozoid

Sakae...much gratitude for bringing the video to the club. Headphones are essential. I've loved that drum sound from then till now. Funny how a video and a sound brands that image (brand) into your brain forever. I'm on the prowl for a black GLX? Kit in black now. 18x22..9x10..10x12..16x16.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Little rant..

First, good for you for wanting to branch out

I will never understand the one brand loyalty thing.
To me that's like putting these companies above myself because it sounds exactly like worship to me.
I simply won't elevate ANY company to that status. No company can touch the human being.
WE are the important ones. The only thing that really matters. The human beings are the boss. Not the companies. They make what WE want. We get to pick and choose whatever we want.

Sticking to just one thing when I can have anything I want...no thanks. It even sounds bad on paper, right? Liking and using a brand is one thing. But excluding all others to that end...is a bit extreme IMO. Like no one could do it better. Self imposed limitations are not a good thing by any measure.
There's enough limitations, let's not limit ourselves.

The drum companies are nothing without drummers like us who provide the climate for them to be in existence and to flourish and profit. The field controls the particle, fact. We are the field, they are the particle. I can't stand seeing people happily giving their power away...to anyone...but to a company? It's an abomination to me.

It's just how I choose to look at it, it's not an all pervading truth or anything. It is my all pervading truth though.

Last edited:

C.M. Jones

For me, brand loyalty is a mode of simplification. The market is flooded with manifold gear. Keeping up with it all is next to impossible, unless one wishes to devote oneself to endless viewings of demos and reviews, a time-consuming process that doesn't appeal to me. It's much easier to track what one drum, cymbal, stick, or head manufacturer is doing than it is to stalk the developments of fifty-three enterprises. Also, the brands to which I'm loyal have earned my trust and thus my persistent patronage. They've dependably delivered high-quality products and have displayed genuine commitments to retaining me as a client. Until one of them disappoints me without atoning for the transgression, I'm holding my course and walking the straight and narrow.

Sincerely,

C.M. Jones, Brand Monogamist

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I hope I didn't give the impression that I am slamming anyone who is brand loyal. I'm not at all. I am merely stating an opinion of mine, that's it.

If I hurt any feelings, heartfelt apologies sent out.

I still don't quite understand it, but that's my issue.

I'm all for individual choices. There is no one right answer. Acceptance is a beautiful thing.

Drummerword Platitudes for $500, Alex

While my pointing out that your previous comment did absolutely nothing to encourage discussion but seemed designed to do precisely the opposite may indeed have been sanctimonious, I don't believe it has been used too often here on Drummerworld—in fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone else use it, and I don't believe I've ever used it myself. (I could very well be wrong on either or both counts, of course.) A statement extremely similar to yours, on the other hand, is often trotted out despite being not even the least bit interesting or thoughtful. Nor does it do anything to move the conversation forward in any way, and certainly not to foster a harmonious environment.

Seriously. Someone asks a question like this (generally) because they want to see if others have felt the same way, or just because it's an opening gambit to talk about their passion. As you can see from the previous 29 responses, many did! After all, this is exactly the kind of discussion many of us joined a drum forum for. But in what way did your reply add to the discussion? There are many posters on here who like to add responses that are meant to be nothing more than jokes, but I'd argue (perhaps because I often do such a thing) that some light-hearted banter does help a discussion move along, provided it doesn't then degenerate into nothing but attempted stand-up. And obviously it's more than fine to just not chime in if a conversation doesn't interest you. But trying to get others to stop a perfectly legit thread just because you think it's silly? I just...I don't get why someone would do that. It seems not only condescending but antithetical to the entire point of a discussion board.

And as I have now contributed to the very derailing I decried, I will tap out...after saying I'd also dearly love a set of Sabian HHX Complex cymbals.

C.M. Jones

I hope I didn't give the impression that I am slamming anyone who is brand loyal. I'm not at all. I am merely stating an opinion of mine, that's it.

I'm all for individual choices. There is no one right answer. Acceptance is a beautiful thing.

I, for one, am relieved that you've issued this apology. Your initial post left me devastated. :)

I can't say I've encountered a single comment in this forum I've found offensive. Freedom of expression is a sacred protection. Divergent thought is what makes the world go round. Without it, Earth would stop spinning, and we'd be stuck eternally in one season. That would especially be bad if the season were spring. I have allergies.

I get why you aren't a brand loyalist. Nothing says you have to be. Questioning the usefulness of brand loyalty is reasonable. I mean, this is a discussion on brand loyalty. It's not as though you were off topic in any way.

EhhSoCheap

While my pointing out that your previous comment did absolutely nothing to encourage discussion but seemed designed to do precisely the opposite may indeed have been sanctimonious, I don't believe it has been used too often here on Drummerworld—in fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone else use it, and I don't believe I've ever used it myself. (I could very well be wrong on either or both counts, of course.) A statement extremely similar to yours, on the other hand, is often trotted out despite being not even the least bit interesting or thoughtful. Nor does it do anything to move the conversation forward in any way, and certainly not to foster a harmonious environment.

Seriously. Someone asks a question like this (generally) because they want to see if others have felt the same way, or just because it's an opening gambit to talk about their passion. As you can see from the previous 29 responses, many did! After all, this is exactly the kind of discussion many of us joined a drum forum for. But in what way did your reply add to the discussion? There are many posters on here who like to add responses that are meant to be nothing more than jokes, but I'd argue (perhaps because I often do such a thing) that some light-hearted banter does help a discussion move along, provided it doesn't then degenerate into nothing but attempted stand-up. And obviously it's more than fine to just not chime in if a conversation doesn't interest you. But trying to get others to stop a perfectly legit thread just because you think it's silly? I just...I don't get why someone would do that. It seems not only condescending but antithetical to the entire point of a discussion board.

And as I have now contributed to the very derailing I decried, I will tap out...after saying I'd also dearly love a set of Sabian HHX Complex cymbals.

I thought we were riffing! Like it was Jeopardy!

Of course what I originally said was platitudinous and sarcastic, and my sincerest apologies to you and Jayson Jean. Now for my penance:

I play Zildjian, Sabian and Paiste, and I’ll probably buy some Gretch drums after having a Tama kit for 20 years. Obviously, if you like a product, there’s no need to branch out, and I have phases where I’m interested in only one company or brand. But the concept of “loyalty” to a brand is a Western consumeristic construct, I think, and ultimately absurd.

SomeBadDrummer

SomeBadDrummer

I think brand loyalty stems from our need of thinking we made a good decision about whichever brand we own/play/use. If we switch from brand € to brand ¥ for whatever reason, then subconsciously we must have made the ‘wrong’ decision initially about brand €. And no one likes to be wrong, or am I wrong?
Plus it’s pretty expensive to switch over:sneaky:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think of it like experience. The more different brands I've owned, the better informed I am. I can also can make a more informed decision overall about what I like, because I've been around the block a few times gear-wise. I haven't owned all the sets I've pined for, not by a longshot. But I got the very best sets I could possibly even hope to find and I'm done now. Cymbals I don't want all the same brand. I gig 4 different brands of cymbals...at once lol. And they each have their reasons for being there

iCe

I was a bit "Brand OCD" in the past. Every cymbal had to be from the same brand, every drum from the same brand, every drumhead from the same brand etc. Early 2019 i spotted a B-stock Paiste 2002 20" Novo China that was around €40,- cheaper than a new one. I've always wanted one and knew i would regret not snatching that bargain. And that set in motion that i no longer cared that everything needed to be Zildjian. Since then i added/replaced models with other brands and couldn't be happier with the sounds i have at my disposal now. Well maybe my ride and it might get replaced sometime this year with a Meinl 21" Byzance Polyphonic Ride. Now it feels really liberating to be using what i like instead of going for an alternative that just isn't it.

Same with the drums now. Very happy with my Pearl kit, but if i ever need to get a new one i'm sure to look at other brands as well. The only brand i stay loyal to is Remo. Been going back and forth between Evans and Remo, even using both at the same time, but i find that Remo just delivers the sound i want.

Stick brands never been really loyal to since i never found the stick i really liked, until a few months back i (re)discovered that maple 5B's are the ones that feel natural in my hands. Rocking Vater sticks now and i dread the day that those sticks are discontinued or modified.

Last edited: