I admit I geek out on stuff like this

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Remember your first kit that came with the T-handle tension rods on the bass drum? And how every time you walked by, something would get caught on a T?

When makers went to regular tension rods in the late 80s, this was an improvement. But as you see in my first photo, if your claws were made for T-handles, then this meant the tension rod heads stuck out like blunt pins that then wreaked havoc on your cars’ interior whenever you took the drums out for a spin without cases.

As shown in my second photo, my ADHD kicked in and I actually bought 20 new Ludwig claws that allow the tension rod head to be recessed to the edge of the hoop. They also rubber coated the claw where it meets the hoop which was a nice touch!

Now I don’t fear loading this drum into the back of my car - and nothing catches on to them if I walk by. Considering how much this negligible upgrade cost, you can call me “drum geek” 😉2AD839FE-911F-496F-B939-5180D70E7C95.jpeg1F8E76FB-ABC4-423E-A4D0-F9B07C23F2F3.jpegA013D297-452D-49F4-92C8-AB512EAB107B.jpeg

Awwww, c'mon Bo - uhhhh... I mean, Drum Geek! I thought drummers were supposed to wear skin-tight leather pants. What's to catch on the claws as you walk past the bass?!?

Nice fix! Apparently you're not the only one to wear shorts or pants with cargo pockets. :ROFLMAO:
1689158504822.png

key chain lanyards get stuck on the T-rods as well..

I love silver sparkle drums. It's so nice looking it deserves a case to protect it in transport.

Last edited:
Feel free to geek out. I think that t-rods are an affliction. If I gigged a vintage kit regularly, I would also swap out the t-rods and stash or sell 'em.

Never....ever...had I had issues with T's unless I tuned a couple up or down to slide in the humes&berg after the gig. I loved the no T kits I've had but that's out of sheer laziness. On Ludwigs no T claws are like having mag wheels on your Harley instead of spokes.

Never....ever...had I had issues with T's unless I tuned a couple up or down to slide in the humes&berg after the gig. I loved the no T kits I've had but that's out of sheer laziness. On Ludwigs no T claws are like having mag wheels on your Harley instead of spokes.
As I tell everyone: You do you, bro 😎

Nah. It’s a learned skill. Or, I’ve never had a bass drum that detuned during a show and one adjustment before the show never moves

You're short though. that's a skill isn't it? Dropping a key was enough for me, T rods stay put plus they keep the drum off the floor when lying head down. just me though you do you yeah!

Last edited:
I couldn't do T- rods - it would be enough to even stop me buying a particular kit.
I've never needed to re-tune a BD during, or even right before a gig. I check the tuning at home before I load up and that's it.
Appreciate there might be a need for wide open jazzers but I'm a muffled and always micc'ed rock guy.

I couldn't do T- rods - it would be enough to even stop me buying a particular kit.
I've never needed to re-tune a BD during, or even right before a gig. I check the tuning at home before I load up and that's it.
Appreciate there might be a need for wide open jazzers but I'm a muffled and always micc'ed rock guy.
So you don't tune to the room, Right!

Back