I’ve gone ergonomic!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Quarantining Day 25: I finally thought I should get around to this and I’m so glad I did. I know I tell everyone you have to be comfortable to play, and I’m just so used to sitting in on weird kits, playing left-handed on right handed kits, that I forget to do the same for myself on my own kit.

So I started at the beginning and set up just my snare, hat, and bass drum and adjusted my throne height so there’s no excuse if I can’t groove on that. Then I positioned everything else around that. Ironically, my toms are tilted a little more in now, but also positioned a little farther away from me so I get a good full swing. But now I’m not reaching for stuff like before.

These multi-adjustable drum kits are just amazing these days! I certainly couldn’t do this when I had those Slingerlands back in 1978!4143CC8E-A582-4770-AFF2-352A1F08CED3.jpeg649636D4-0D20-4703-9384-2BE8F20AE1F9.jpegE39F17A8-B09C-4B84-90CE-287540F388A3.jpeg

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
I love the natural wood finish. That's a lovely looking setup Bo. For my tastes, the gap between the rack toms triggers me! I live them being a hair's breadth apart. Very neat though!

I remember being at a Dave Weckl intensive and I sat at his Yamaha Hybrid kit. The toms were virtually 45 degrees, angled for his left-hand trad grip. It was physically unplayable for me, but he swore by ergonomic setups.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Only thing that would cramp me is the hi-hat being almost due west of the snare. I would want it a little more forward, but you are the player so rock on.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I just went through this exercise as well. Ended up with things a bit higher and tilted than before. Not a drastic change, but made a big difference.

Love the natural wood. Those are sweet!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Ironically, my toms are tilted a little more in now, but also positioned a little farther away from me so I get a good full swing. But now I’m not reaching for stuff like before.

I just went through this exercise as well. Ended up with things a bit higher and tilted than before. Not a drastic change, but made a big difference.
Wonder if there is a height correlation. I know Bo is short, AZ are you short also?

I am tall and lankey, ergonomic for me is flat and low.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I always wondered if sitting so high bothered you, Bo. I sit much higher than I used to, but sitting as high as you would hurt my back, I'm pretty sure. I couldn't get enough of my butt on the seat! lol

It's a moot point for me, because I'm tall enough that sitting so high would mean my drums couldn't be adjusted properly. My floor tom is maxed at the top of its legs, anyway.

In any case, glad you're liking it. It looks like a totally comfortable setup to me.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I always wondered if sitting so high bothered you, Bo. I sit much higher than I used to, but sitting as high as you would hurt my back, I'm pretty sure. I couldn't get enough of my butt on the seat! lol

It's a moot point for me, because I'm tall enough that sitting so high would mean my drums couldn't be adjusted properly. My floor tom is maxed at the top of its legs, anyway.

In any case, glad you're liking it. It looks like a totally comfortable setup to me.
Mostly because I’m singing too. What singer doesn’t want to be seen? So I’m adjusting my attitude on that. Or, if I’m singing the whole time, I bring out the smaller 12/14/20 kit.

beatdat

Given that you've been playing for years, and given your abilities, do you find, having done this, that you're playing better or that you're just more comfortable when behind the kit?

For me, proper ergonomics are not just a matter of comfort, but playing ability as well, but that may be because I don't have the ability on the kit that some you do.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Given that you've been playing for years, and given your abilities, do you find, having done this, that you're playing better or that you're just more comfortable when behind the kit?

For me, proper ergonomics are not just a matter of comfort, but playing ability as well, but that may be because I don't have the ability on the kit that some you do.
I’d say it’s more Comfortable. I haven’t gotten any better in years - which I really need to rectify. But I think my time and groove get better every year. However, it is nice to hear something I’ve done years ago now, and hear that it was grooving hard.

beatdat

I’d say it’s more Comfortable.
That's what I was thinking.

It's the same with my teacher; we position our setups somewhat similarly (at least in terms of the main components - he has a double bass kit with 4 toms), but he has no problem playing on mine, whereas his kit seems almost foreign to me. When I asked him awhile ago the same thing I asked you, he said the same thing you did - he doesn't necessarily play better when he's on his kit as opposed to mine (or anyone else's), he's just more comfortable on his kit.

I suppose being able to play on a variety of kits is just another benefit of having advanced skills. It's almost ironic when I think about it. Y'all who can do that are fortunate in more ways than one.