I’ve been noticing some cymbals are getting heavier than they used to be...

graysonator

My 21 AAX medium ride weighs close to 2400-2500. Something in between there. I bought this cymbal last year, but today I noticed there was a MDS video showcasing the same cymbal, but this one came in at around 2730. Almost 200g heavier than mine. It sounded a lot higher pitched. What are your thoughts on this? I’m pretty curious about it.

drumnut87

i think its just the nature of cymbalmaking, cant guarantee exact weights due to the nature of casting.

though i could be wrong, please correct me if i am.

C.M. Jones

My 21 AAX medium ride weighs close to 2400-2500. Something in between there. I bought this cymbal last year, but today I noticed there was a MDS video showcasing the same cymbal, but this one came in at around 2730. Almost 200g heavier than mine. It sounded a lot higher pitched. What are your thoughts on this? I’m pretty curious about it.

I don't wish to open yet another redundant debate on cymbal creation and composition, but it's not at all unusual for cast cymbals to exhibit considerable differences in weight (and thus in sound). That's why it's vital to test (or at least hear) each cymbal before making a purchase. Buying cast cymbals blind can be a prescription for surprise and disappointment.

Last edited:
I would attribute that to regular variability, too. Deriving a trend from two data points is always asking for trouble. :)
Someone put a lot of time into making these diagrams on cymbal weights of Zildjian As from the 50s to 80s: https://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-prices.html
There was a trend towards heavier cymbals but nowadays, I would guess that we're past that point. More and more drummers no longer want those heavy manhole covers.

johnwesley

Silver Member
"Keep in mind, the older you get, the heavier the things you lift seem to become."-------Homeland Dept. of Aging
"200 grams ain't nothing."---------Hercules famous Roman guy
"Depends if it's 200 grams of lead, or 200 grams of ping pong balls."------A. Einstein
"What me worry about 200 grams?"-------Alfred E. Newman

graysonator

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. My mistake for opening this pointless thread. Kind regards to you all

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Yeah, I guess you guys are right. My mistake for opening this pointless thread. Kind regards to you all
I don't think this is a pointless thread.
I'm guessing most of the drummers here on this forum don't know that much about the cymbal industry. Count me in as one of them.
I think cymbal manufacturing is sort of a mysterious, artistic process. It could be that cymbal makers are in fact not making cymbals as thin as they used to, because it takes more time and talent. Could be they are cutting corners to make more money or just to stay in business.

The bottom line is it would be very difficult to prove any of what I'm saying about the cymbal industry. Consequently, your question is very difficult to answer.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I imagine it's like when you cook something from scratch. It wont be exactly the same ever. Some eggs are bigger, the measurements arent exact, even the type of flour could make a difference.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I like that Zildjian offers ranges of "Light" prefixed and "Thin" postfixed cymbals, so that if I intentionally want the attributes of a light cymbal, I can obtain one without the hassle of shopping around and comparing mass.

I have 15" K-Light hats and a 24" K Light ride and have been extremely happy with them. I also have both 18" and 20" K Dark Thin Crashes and have been equally pleased.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I like that Zildjian offers ranges of "Light" prefixed and "Thin" postfixed cymbals, so that if I intentionally want the attributes of a light cymbal, I can obtain one without the hassle of shopping around and comparing mass.

I have 15" K-Light hats and a 24" K Light ride and have been extremely happy with them. I also have both 18" and 20" K Dark Thin Crashes and have been equally pleased.
Buddy Rich used to use an A. Zildjian 20” Light Ride and I eventually found one. It’s like a piercing K Light Ride and also makes a great Crash. I’m still on the fence about using it all the time though.

I have 2 X-Plosion rides (both 21") and one of them is noticeably heavier than the other. That's just how cast cymbals are which is why it's good to test them out beforehand if possible.

I’d go one step further and say the hardest part about playing drums is finding the perfect ride. That’s the holy grail.
I think that's one of the easiest parts about playing drums. @toddbishop sells "Holy Grail" cymbals - that's their actual (and appropriate) name, so feel free to support this great company and get this problem out of the way!
Now if they only came with an implant that makes you play like Tony Williams. Getting to that point is the slightly trickier part... :unsure:

NouveauCliche

I wouldn't call it pointless - cymbal weight is a big deal. That's why a lot of serious cymbal sites always list sound files of each cymbal and weight - sometimes there are golden models within the same cymbal make and a lot if it comes with weight. Solid discussion.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I think that's one of the easiest parts about playing drums. @toddbishop sells "Holy Grail" cymbals - that's their actual (and appropriate) name, so feel free to support this great company and get this problem out of the way!
Now if they only came with an implant that makes you play like Tony Williams. Getting to that point is the slightly trickier part... :unsure:

Where do I go to hear and buy Holy Grail cymbals?