I’m worried that live music is over

Macarina

Silver Member
Not over...but... it just may become a different form.

These Living Room performances may be just one little niche for change.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure that things will eventually return to the normal we knew in terms of activities and social life. But it will be a slow process in some cases, and I think that large (arena) crowds will take the longest to return. That means sports, and concerts. As for club gigs, give it a month or two for the venues to start opening, and probably another month after that for people to feel confident about going out again.

Not to downplay the virus, but this is not the first time a country has been challenged., and they always bounce back.

Bermuda

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Not sure how the situation is in the US, but here all gigs and public entertaining events are forbidden untill at least september..

I would be very surprised if clubs, concerts, etc would start again in the US within a few months, at least not with the same amount of crowds..

But then again, i am not living there and not following US politics too much..

opentune

Platinum Member
Live music and crowds resumed after the spanish flu in 1918.
There will be live music again, people standing around listening...maybe even in one year from today.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Studies indicate while short term quarantines, travel bans work on long term create new problems. Right now the deaths during 2000 from poverty for the years was twice that of COVID-19 at present. Then you have to consider how "environment-social factors" or lack of them influences our species-because no man/women is an island-we are social creatures and we'd doom our species. It's not the first time epidemic and pandemic have dealt the humans heavy blow the last 300,000 years-at least one bottleneck where humanity dwindled to 1000-10000 just 70-80K years ago from a Supervolcano (nailed most of Neanderthals too apparently, but other evidence of other bottlenecks where we got our butt kicked from some disaster. Really evolution wise and immunity wise various pathogens sweeping our populations increase our fitness long term-course at a loss of people but those that survive, blah, blah, the spiel. General medicine treats symptoms or reduces death rates-like vaccines some range up to 95% (like most children vaccines) and others 40-60% (like flu) it varies. Molecular medicine is changing all that fast so my opinion of a feasible vaccine has changes since new methods, that aren't being used except experimentally and I suspect it's being used now and can overcome the barriers I was concerned with traditional means of producing vaccines with SARS COV-2. The antivirals looks promising, and likely the blood clotting issues will be solved. Actually the protein I helped discover, Hsp 20 has been demonstrated to work extracellular on platelets and reduce aggregation-the peptides might have a use-clinclar trials are already looking at how the peptides prevent ischemic damage after hypoxia in heart. It's really weird the cardiac tissue cut off from oxygen supply doesn't damage the muscle until it re-oxygenates then free radicals damage the heart muscle. The peptides reduces the damage early evidence. Crap got off track again. Anyways I sure hope everything goes back to normal.

C.M. Jones

While "over" is an improbable condition, reduced and modified may very well prove to be appropriate adjectives. Chances are high we'll experience a resurgence of infections this fall. We could be locked down (just as we are now) for an even longer span next time around. Only the future will reveal what emerges, but I do believe many people will be circumspect about attending gatherings for quite a while. I can't say I'll blame them. Live music isn't as important as public health.

C.M. Jones

Not sure how the situation is in the US, but here all gigs and public entertaining events are forbidden untill at least september..

I would be very surprised if clubs, concerts, etc would start again in the US within a few months, at least not with the same amount of crowds..

I think that's an accurate prognosis overall.

C.M. Jones

And if it’s over, I’m going to feel really stupid for spending this much time and money on my music education, instruments, etc.
The pleasure and intrinsic value we derive from drumming needn't be limited to live work. I do see your point, of course. I, too, miss collaborating with other musicians, performing before audiences, and so on, but I've utilized my recent downtime to experiment with drumming in ways I might not have under "normal" circumstances. Make the most of your restrictions right now. Keep on drumming regardless.

MntnMan62

Here's the thing. Right now the situation in the US is as you described where you are. All gigs and public entertaining events are forbidden. All professional sports have been suspended. The protocol is "stay the fxxx at home". And for good reason. With what we know about both the virus, how deadly it is and how contagious it is and the fact that if you get it and beat it, you can get it again, unlike some other diseases where you build up immunity once you've had it again, like chicken pox. And since this is a totally new and unknown virus, it is going to take about a year to a year and a half before we see a truly proven and tested vaccine. So, I believe that we are going to be essentially shut down for at least that long until after a vaccine is found. Unprecedented in modern times is how I'd describe this. And in spite of all that I've said, which are facts, there are lots of people here in the US who think that it's fine to carry assault weapons into their state capital buildings to protest any kind of restrictions on social interaction. There are lots of people who have no problem putting money before life, so long as it's not their life. Pretty selfish if you ask me. I keep hearing people say that "we don't have many cases here so therefore there is no need to keep the stay at home protocol." Well, those people have missed the fact that the reason they don't have many cases is BECAUSE of the stay at home protocols. We've seen what happens when people ignore the protocols. Spring Break in the Southern US was a disaster because many of those who were ignoring the advice to stay home ended up getting the virus, bringing it home to their families and killing their relatives. Same thing happened at New Orleans' Mardi Gras celebration. Facts. And we've seen the number of cases rise dramatically in Michigan, the state that has the most protests against social distancing taking place. In fact, Michigan now has the third highest number of deaths in the entire country after NY and NJ. So, it's got the third highest number of deaths yet it is the 10th most populous state. Anyway, whether we like it or not the virus is going to dictate things until such time as we have another method of fighting it. Those who ignore the protocols will simply cause people to die. I'll just leave you with one last point. There is a pastor from the South who was railing against what he called the "hysteria" surrounding the virus. He went to Mardi Gras, got the coronavirus and died. You can't fix stupid. And there seems to be no shortage of immensely stupid people here in the US.

Last edited:

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
That looks to me like a decent description..

Anyway, i think is pretty safe to say, that about everyone on the forum should mentally prepare that for the rest of this year no one will play gigs a lot anymore..

If there will be playing gigs at all, that is..

C.M. Jones

Here's the thing. Right now the situation in the US is as you described where you are. All gigs and public entertaining events are forbidden. All professional sports have been suspended. The protocol is "stay the fxxx at home". And for good reason. With what we know about both the virus, how deadly it is and how contagious it is and the fact that if you get it and beat it, you can get it again, unlike some other diseases where you build up immunity once you've had it again, like chicken pox. And since this is a totally new and unknown virus, it is going to take about a year to a year and a half before we see a truly proven and tested vaccine. So, I believe that we are going to be essentially shut down for at least that long until after a vaccine is found. Unprecedented is in modern times is how I'd describe this. And in spite of all that I've said, which are facts, there are lots of people here in the US who think that it's fine to carry assault weapons into their state capital buildings to protest any kind of restrictions on social interaction. There are lots of people who have no problem putting money before life, so long as it's not their life. Pretty selfish if you ask me. I keep hearing people say that "we don't have many cases here so therefore there is no need to keep the stay at home protocol." Well, those people have missed the fact that the reason they don't have many cases is BECAUSE of the stay at home protocols. We've seen what happens when people ignore the protocols. Spring Break in the Southern US was a disaster because many of those who were ignoring the advice to stay home ended up getting the virus, bringing it home to their families and killing their relatives. Same thing happened at New Orleans' Mardi Gras celebration. Facts. And we've seen the number of cases rise dramatically in Michigan, the state that has the most protests against social distancing taking place. In fact, Michigan now has the third highest number of deaths in the entire country after NY and NJ. So, it's got the third highest number of deaths yet it is the 10th most populous state. Anyway, whether we like it or not the virus is going to dictate things until such time as we have another method of fighting it. Those who ignore the protocols will simply cause people to die. I'll just leave you with one last point. There is a pastor from the South who was railing against what he called the "hysteria" surrounding the virus. He went to Mardi Gras, got the coronavirus and died. You can't fix stupid. And there seems to be no shortage of immensely stupid people here in the US.
A round of applause from me. These dire times warrant extreme caution, not cavalier antics. Shelter-in-place measures have produced valuable results. Abandoning them prematurely would be madness.

Yamaha Rider

Where is "here"?