Hyenas of the Serengeti?

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Alright...here's a little warm-up, improv clip of me and a new guitar player friend of mine. It starts rather abruptly, sorry - I'm using a crappy little editor here at work to pull out audio samples.

http://www.scientifik.com/mp3/bone_crunching_jam.mp3

Caution: The drums are panned to the left and guitar to the right, not as clean or nice as full stereo sound.

As for me - I've been playing for about 2 yrs. now so helpful criticism is welcome, of course!

This is my Unix bubinga kit WITH the new 14"x6.5" snare. I've got two SM57s overhead and a Beta 52 in the 4" port on the kick. I only have 4 XLR slots on my little mixer so I had to give the guitarist the SM57 I normally mic the snare with. It still comes through pretty well!

Thanks!

That Guy

Platinum Member
You and the guitarist have a nice little piece there. It reminds me of the early stuff from Sabbath. One thing that I really appreciate is when I hear a new drummer keeping time with the hats while on the ride. I'm a stickler for that! I feel that it's necessary in the early stages of drumming and essencial to developing proper time and gooves. I also really enjoyed the pulsing you gave the guitar half way through. On another note, I enjoyed the fact that you didn't use alot of cymbal crashes throughout the entire song. They built up right where they needed to be.

The song definately has alot of promise. I can't wait to revisit it down the road.

drumhead61

Gold Member
Hey Zam you guys sound good...I enjoyed it and listened to it all...all in all a nice little warm up piece. The kit sounds good.

aydee

Platinum Member
Damn Vin, that is some serious improvement since I heard your last mp3.

First off, you time was always good I thought.. but here its specially good. The groove is cooking too. I like it. What I also like is the fact that your fills are very well placed and not over or underdone.....guitarist 'aint too shabby either!

Great job... the best I've heard you play yet!! Keep it up ( ....and kidnap a bass player )

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Thanks for the nice words guys.

Thanks Abe...I'm workin' hard again. Now that the hand injury is subsiding I can get back to learning instead of treading water. It's gonna be a productive year! Eric is a killer guitarist and a super creative guy...I'm very lucky to have found another guitarist who is much more of a musician than I am...who doesn't mind playing w/ a newbie. :) We DEFINITELY need a bassist...if only they were easy enough to come by.

Listening back to this now - I could have chopped another few minutes off of the front of it. As we warmed up, it got more interesting and less repetitive. Oh well...

As usual...I'm always less and less happy w/ something I post here as I listen to it more later on. I could have been more creative...could have exercised more thoughtful dynamics...coulda shoulda woulda. Time to go practice!

brittc89

Pioneer Member
Your playing sounds really good for just two years man. I know youre very serious about it and it shows.

SO this is gonna seem very nit-picky, but its what Im hearing. Your subdivisions are getting too clumped together or too far spaced at times. Its not effecting the time, but it is effecting the groove. WHen youre just playing rock like this, you need to make sure stuff is dead on. Your bass drum seems to be lagging behind your hands a lot of the time, just a hair, but it makes it feel awkward. Make sure youre thinking in the smallest subdivisions possible so you can nail the stuff dead on.

Sounds good though man. Keep up the hard work.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Your playing sounds really good for just two years man. I know youre very serious about it and it shows.

SO this is gonna seem very nit-picky, but its what Im hearing. Your subdivisions are getting too clumped together or too far spaced at times. Its not effecting the time, but it is effecting the groove. WHen youre just playing rock like this, you need to make sure stuff is dead on. Your bass drum seems to be lagging behind your hands a lot of the time, just a hair, but it makes it feel awkward. Make sure youre thinking in the smallest subdivisions possible so you can nail the stuff dead on.

Sounds good though man. Keep up the hard work.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Compliments are always nice but I'm hoping as I post more stuff...folks here are more critical. I need a boost!

I think you're right, I could feel it while playing it. I think a lot of it was just the excitement of playing something off-the-cuff w/ a new band mate. I don't have the confidence or comfort yet to just sit down and lay it down with ease...maybe I'll get there someday.

I sat down last night and worked on this groove and realized how push/pull it is - I'm going to have to smooth it out w/ a metronome.