Hurricane Sally

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
My parents built a beach house in a sleepy little village called Mexico Beach back in 1970. Beside a physician my Dad fancied himself an architect so had his own crew building homes , a gym for local school, etc. He built our house to be “Hurricane proof“ so extra deep solid foundation and footers and then used double up hurricane clips. Initially it was brick and wood and I always painted it ( which is a story on its own my local full time neighbors could regale some tales on me and my exploits-amazingly they all loved me. Anyways it withstood countless Hurricanes over the decades - we had to repair roof a few times till we replaced with steel roof. Never even flooded though close. Till Michael swept several blocks clean as a whistle just a few short years ago. Nothing but foudation outlines if not covered by sand. Changed coast line significantly. I couldn’t believe it. Sadly some older folks living in old ground level block homes thought the same -“ Oh we’ve weathered numerous storms before “ so stayed and some perished. The water surge did it -Not wind- and that same type damage can occur inland with flooding. Scary.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Nature is the best friend/adversary anyone could have. Should not be taken lightly.
No doubt. Water is the biggest shaper/change of our landscape. Nature doesnt lose, no matter what. Even fixed object car crashes, trees kill more people than anything at about 50%. Here in the middle, we dont have earthquakes. Wildfires arent too common. We might get hurricane remnants. But thunderstorms and tornadoes will ruin your day. All year long.

Yamaha Rider

Lucky me, I'm right on the border of Nightmare Tornado Zone and Air Made of Hot Soup.

For the purpose of those involved, in the NTZ it's pronounced toe-nader. We dont know what a tor-nado is.
From the other side of the pond, what's striking is that you guys are consistently surprised when this stuff that happens every year, happens every year.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
From the other side of the pond, what's striking is that you guys are consistently surprised when this stuff that happens every year, happens every year.
Yeah I dont get it either. What I really dont get are the folks that build on the flood plain of a river/lake/ocean, their home gets destroyed in a flood, and they build another one in the same spot. At least put it on stilts this time.

The Mystery Belt we try not to talk about. That's where the FLDS exists. I wont get into that.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Oh, we used to get them in pairs knocking on the door in the UK was I was a kid. Very polite and friendly. And that's all I'm allowed to say here.
Crazy Horses was a very fine song though. :)
I'm sorry. Thought we had them all locked away in the Mystery Belt.

Never invite “strangers” into your home for a cup of tea... :unsure:
Not unless you want to be a part of their cult or one of fifteen wives.