Humor Does Belong in Music

JimFiore

Silver Member
It occurred to me that I have never posted anything I've recorded on this forum so here's a tune called The Return of Wayne Dangre. It is based on a tune I wrote with a friend and bass player some 30 years ago called The Wayne Dangre Theme Song. There is a rather long and mildly humorous backstory to the whole thing but I won't bore you with that, at least not yet.

Anyway, this tune was recorded about 5 or 6 years ago. I play all of the instruments. The drum kit is electronic. The bass guitar is played with a pick (something I rarely do) because my friend used to play a Ric 4001 with a pick and that sound is permanently associated in my brain with this theme. Some miscellaneous sounds such as finger snaps and hand claps are triggered from the e-kit. Everything else is played from my MalletKAT. On the original tune I wanted a xylophone part but didn't have one so we did what any good college students would do: We filled a bunch of beer bottles with varying amounts of water, arranged them by pitch, and I played them as best I could. In contrast, this tune has real mallet sounds. Don't worry, there's no singing!!

As you can see (or hear), I answer Zappa's question "Does humor belong in music?" with a firm yes. Parts of this still make me laugh.

The Return of Wayne Dangre

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Apart from the missing "u", the answer is yes, & certainly here :) Huge respect for your multi instrumental abilities, & I love the levity of the overdub "feature" effects later in the piece. In some respects, pity it's an Ekit, but it fits the vibe perfectly. If one were to critique this piece with a furrowed brow, some of the fill timing is less than crisp, & a fair degree of "chops on display" going down, but I'm guessing that's all part of the "not taking it too seriously" vibe. Made me smile :)

JimFiore

Silver Member
It's definitely not chops on display, it's me having some fun one afternoon! The whole thing is a tad loose but it's all part of the humo(u)r of it. This was by no means a serious and highly structured or rehearsed tune. The mallet solo in the middle is just completely off the top of my head at that moment. The timing on it is purposely quirky. In fact, quirky is an apt description of most tunes that I write.

One thing I will say about the E-kit is how damn easy it is to record.

I am glad it made you smile. That's what it's supposed to do!

FrontierGibberish

I enjoyed the piece. I appreciate the effort and skills required to write, arrange and play a song by yourself. I could imagine that song being played in the background during a " Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd" type scene. Nicely done Professor.

JM

dmacc_2

I really wish I could do something like that.... Nicely done.

Of course humor does belong in music. Just watch me try to play for ten minutes and you'll find a whole lot to laugh about.

JimFiore

Silver Member
Thanks. Now for something that just might challenge your concept of humor in music. A few years back I discovered that a co-worker was a guitarist. We got to talking and he gave me a copy of a tune he did, his rendition of Bo Jangles with him singing and playing acoustic guitar. It was nicely done. I agreed to add a soft drum part and some other bits. That is not the subject of this post, though. While working on this, a certain sense of mischievousity took over and I did another version, this time overdubbing metal drums and guitar. It is important to remember that the sounds of the drums and guitar are intentional, as is all of the playing. My co-worker got a good laugh out of it. I just listened to it for the first time since then and I found myself almost crying from laughter again. It might be described as Sammy Davis Jr. being backed up by Spinal Tap and with just a hint of Zappa.

BoMangles

Some people think I have an odd sense of humor.

dmacc_2

Thanks. Now for something that just might challenge your concept of humor in music. A few years back I discovered that a co-worker was a guitarist. We got to talking and he gave me a copy of a tune he did, his rendition of Bo Jangles with him singing and playing acoustic guitar. It was nicely done. I agreed to add a soft drum part and some other bits. That is not the subject of this post, though. While working on this, a certain sense of mischievousity took over and I did another version, this time overdubbing metal drums and guitar. It is important to remember that the sounds of the drums and guitar are intentional, as is all of the playing. My co-worker got a good laugh out of it. I just listened to it for the first time since then and I found myself almost crying from laughter again. It might be described as Sammy Davis Jr. being backed up by Spinal Tap and with just a hint of Zappa.

BoMangles

Some people think I have an odd sense of humor.
I thought everything was more than tastefully done. It's a take!

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Wonderful tracks on both counts Jim, it's nice to hear you play finally (and man you can play!)

Beautifully written, arranged and played :)