Huge news :) Protocol II

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
THIS, from Simon's FB page this morning. And a protocol tour too - too much, really. I'm going, & I don't much care where the nearest gig is either :)

Simon Phillips
I'm happy to say I have finished recording & mixing PROTOCOL ll.
Many long days working through jet lag and a cold. A big thank you to Billie Rainbird for assisting and being my second pair of ears!
Next Step is Mastering.
RELEASE DATE and TOUR DATES to be announced soon!
Cheers!-SP

Juan Exposito

Excellent news.
Thanks for the info.
Waiting now.

I can´t believe. I didn´t know the Simon´s real facebook page...
I´ve just clicked on I LIKE IT.

It´s a very active and updated page.

So, thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
Simon has been a tremendous influence on me. Quite possibly my "favorite" drummer.

Ive been listening to his work with Hiromi now for a while and I'm excited to hear this new stuff.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Simon has been a tremendous influence on me. Quite possibly my "favorite" drummer.

Ive been listening to his work with Hiromi now for a while and I'm excited to hear this new stuff.
Very much so Jeff. Funny that you & I play completely different styles, yet share a primary influence. During my years in drumming wilderness, I think I can say with some confidence, it was listening to Protocol that reignited the spark.

Protocol was Simon at his most creative "drumming" peak. I'm fascinated to hear how his take on a solo enterprise has changed over the years. I think some of his most recent work with Hiromi offers hints as to some content, but I'm awaiting a big surprise. I'm guessing quite a bit of odd meter running as a theme to echo protocol I, but I'm only guessing. I suspect Simon would want to show some resemblance to Protocol I, but also progression. I'm thinking Protocol II will probably have bigger "ears".

Any bets taken on Anthony Jackson appearing somewhere? Maybe even a Hiromi cameo? :)

I've not been so excited about a forthcoming album in years. This is close to my heart, but regrettably, way beyond my playing reach :(

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Protocol was Simon at his most creative "drumming" peak.
Protocol was a huge inspiring album for me, as where the 2 videos which followed the release of his first solo album, with 'live" performances of some Protocol's tracks with Anthony Jackson and Ray Russel, even these days, I keep listening and watching these brilliant pieces, amazing drumming parts and strong writing skill from Simon.

Despite being some 25 years old recording, the music still feels fresh and innovative.

I'm thinking Protocol II will probably have bigger "ears".
It's kinda expected TBH, all other releases from Simon as a solo performer has seen a lot of progress, both in drumming style and compositions.

Also, his performances on both Hiromi's album is nothing short from being a tour de force in terms of drumming, with huge musical input, creativity, dexterity and musicianship.

It's the same deal with PSP, the partnership with Phillipe saisse and Pino Palladino echoes the dexterity, musicality and musicianship of the Hiromi's project.

Simon's also been very busy in recording and producing other artists, his knowledge being the mixing console is as good has his drumming, the forthcoming new "Protocol II" CD should be huge, both in terms of playing, writing and production.

Any bets taken on Anthony Jackson appearing somewhere? Maybe even a Hiromi cameo? :)
That would be the icing on the cake, and very interesting to see/feel how they'd react and play to Simon's music.

I've not been so excited about a forthcoming album in years.
Very exciting indeed Andy, I look forward to lay my hands on the CD :)

This is close to my heart, but regrettably, way beyond my playing reach :(
Isn't it beyond the playing of probably 90% of drummers on this planet? ...I do think so, Simon is part of the drummer's drummer club, one of these few drummers who reach such a level of mastering music, alongside the Colaiuta, Gadd, Weckl, Cobham, Williams and Smith of this world, just to name a few of the legend in the world of drumming.