How's this cymbal mish mash for my 2nd kit?

Darth Vater

Long story short. I bought a new Saturn V kit a few weeks back and wanted to put together a set of cymbals for it without breaking the bank. I was not concerned about brand or range matches just good cymbals. My stock setup is a 2 up 2 dn kit with 2 crashes a ride and some hats. My budget was $800.00

Here's what I've ended up with.......all natural finish. No brilliant cymbals

17" and 18" Zildjian K custom dark crashes. Used but like new. Bought from a forum member! Thanks Bud.
21" Istanbul Agop Xist ride natural finish. Bought new from cymbalfusion.com using fast quote. Thanks Erik
14" Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats. Used but in excellent condition from a Music go round somewhere in Minnesota.

$788 for all. Haven't gotten the hats yet but I love the other 3. I really like the K Custom Dark crashes. They really cut and I LOVE the quick decay. The Xist 21" is a bargain at sub $200. Nice ping and a really cool wash to it. I almost got a set of Xist hi hats but the deal on the new beats was too good to pass up.

Cheers,
Todd

C.M. Jones

Should be a very nice setup, Todd. Ks aren't my sound, but they're indisputably great cymbals. And you can never go wrong with a pair a New Beats. They're the hats for all seasons. Good luck with the new kit.

iCe

Looks like a good set of cymbals!
I own the 18" K Custom Dark Crash and the 14" A New Beats as well. Great cymbals!
Have the New Beats for 9 years now and the K Custom for more then 6 years now. Over time their sound gets 'broken in', so used is a nice way to enjoy them in their final glory ;)
If you ever want a darker counterpart to those crashes, i suggest a K Dark Thin. I have 19" and that and the K Custom work together flawlessly.

Darth Vater

Should be a very nice setup, Todd. Ks aren't my sound, but they're indisputably great cymbals. And you can never go wrong with a pair a New Beats. They're the hats for all seasons. Good luck with the new kit.
Thanks CM. My choices were driven mostly by how they'd match up with the Saturn kit. The Maple/Walnut shells have less articulation than my Prolite all Maple and they have a lower fundamental. I went for that would be conducive to blues, classic rock, soul genres. What I like about this setup is that they're VERY different from my Sabian HHX evolution set that I use with my Prolites. The Xist ride is just a gas. The wash on this thing is like nothing I've ever played before. I played a set of new beats like 45 years ago and remember them fondly. I'm pretty happy with what I've ended up with.

Looks like a good set of cymbals!
I own the 18" K Custom Dark Crash and the 14" A New Beats as well. Great cymbals!
Have the New Beats for 9 years now and the K Custom for more then 6 years now. Over time their sound gets 'broken in', so used is a nice way to enjoy them in their final glory ;)
If you ever want a darker counterpart to those crashes, i suggest a K Dark Thin. I have 19" and that and the K Custom work together flawlessly.
I think I'm pretty much set (and broke) right now but that's good to know. I keep a drum inventory list and I've added your suggestion to my "need want" list. I've always liked having a 19" crash and I like thin crashes so that's definitely in the conversation. Thanks.

iCe

I think I'm pretty much set (and broke) right now but that's good to know. I keep a drum inventory list and I've added your suggestion to my "need want" list. I've always liked having a 19" crash and I like thin crashes so that's definitely in the conversation. Thanks.
Me wanting and looking for new cymbals never ends haha, so i now how you feel. My list is also always expanding and changing with models i want