How's everyone holding up?

RayI

Drums are back in the shed and I'm pretty much completely exhausted. 5 hours each way and somehow squeezing inbetween my bass drum and floor tom and snare to sleep. Putting the hardware in the ski box made it possible.

It was a good trip in general. I got to talk to a lot of people who now know a lot about my story in that place and oubviously why I'm doing this. Everyone's very supportive. Not everyone was equally comfortable, mainly my old boss (who's not in that job anymre, probably due to me) sneaking by in the background and a few politicians and officials. They all knew because the police informed them, but it's a peaceful legal demonstration. Very loud at times, but peaceful demostration. The police car patrol did stop by several times. God nows what they thought. Actually, they called be just before I started to make sure what was going on.

Best part of the day was several groups of 1-3 graders passing by. I started them doing the "secret door knock" and then I soloed a bit over it. When they walked away they got a typical drum march. Their teachers were cool and totally into it.

My sidekick Roger "Buffalo" Wings got a few spots, but he needs some friends. I'll do a bit more of the Tommy Campbell thing once I find more quality squeeky toys like his.

Today is our National Day, so te
Glad it was peaceful demonstration
Is that the funny looking chickens name ( Roger Buffalo Wings ) lol

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Glad it was peaceful demonstration
Is that the funny looking chickens name ( Roger Buffalo Wings ) lol

I guess a demonstration isn't really the right word. Let's call it live entertainment with a social agenda. Loud entertainment that will hopefully include a whole band sometimes. Very much in the infacy stage atm.

I have some insight that needs to reach the politicians and high officials. I go right past the headmaster and leader of culture as there are people above them that need to know more about what's exactly going on and what should be going on. It's about providing a bit of insight about apart of their service to the community they don't know much about nor understand.

My opening piece, if you wanna call it that, is to ask how many of them ever played in schoolband. Then proceed to ask if they remember having rehearsal weekends? If the conductor that was hired happened to play e.g. the clarinet he/she probably gave those that played the same instrument 95% of the attention. Pretty much wasting everyone else's time. Whole music schools are run that way.

Then we come to the fact why I'm qualified which is that I'm probably the only teacher in the whole county qualified to teach all band instruments like a team of professionals. This is how it's done in small towns as the positions for each instrument aren't big enough to hire qualified people. The answer is usually some local hero that does enormous amounts of long term damage.

I happen toalso be an experienced conductor and I've had to do most musical disciplines in a school at some point except for I guess strings and accordeon. When I don't know something I'm honest and try to do something about that.

I see the whole picture and know how to take responsibility to build a culture around these activities in a town that's to small to offer this in any other way.

This is all I'm able to do in 30 mins. It's just to open their minds a little bit and also explain that the issues they have are not about kids and society today. The issues are solvable and it's all about competence and attitudes.

The reason why someone like my old boss is uncomfortable with this is that she's someone who wants to keep quality and the ways of doing things on a level where she can feel like an expert. This means a lot of things, most things infact, are not done right. She'll rather hold others down rather than educate herself. Though some good things are done the motivation is not to be of service to the community but rather narcissitic nourishment and building a school that's dominated only by what she's personally is most interested in. That's like 5% of what it should be and I'm already being way too nice.

Mission statement currently sounds something like this:

What is DFE really about?

It's an organization that wishes that every student in the Noregian schools of art and culture should have equal opportuities regardless of age, discipline and where they live

Values and intensions are more or less the same as MOT.

(MOT means" courage" in Norwegian and is an organisation that simply put works for healthy school environments.)

Step 1 is to get noticed. In the municipality for the next action we will ahead of time have been in contact with the councilman and mayor with a wish to hold a 30 min presentation at a coucil meeting. (Longer if more interactivity is wanted) with the intent of giving politicians and offcials new tools to make wiser and more informed decisions in regards to well run, functional and modern schools of art and culture.

Last edited:

RayI

I whole heartily agree , but been down that road in the past myself , your old boss sounds very familiar in many ways which is one of the reasons I'm not in the corporate or political world anymore , to be stifled or even stepped on because of ignorance I will not condone, continue with your mission wish you much success.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I whole heartily agree , but been down that road in the past myself , your old boss sounds very familiar in many ways which is one of the reasons I'm not in the corporate or political world anymore , to be stifled or even stepped on because of ignorance I will not condone, continue with your mission wish you much success.

Thank you.

It's like this in most small towns, so if I want to keep doing this, which is my greatest passion, it's not something you can ignore or escape. I've known I wanted to be music teacher since I was like 9 yo because I got this overall concept already then from local schoolband attitudes and the type of groups we're not supposed to talk about on internet forums.. I just want to give the kids something better than I had and one of the reasons it's so so heartbreaking is that it's really an easy fix, if you're able to learn and understand things by concept, that is. It just requires a bit of humility, honor and integrity, that's all. If it's not working, be honest about it and with yourself and at least try your best.

RayI

I can tell your very passionate about this , I pounded my head against a wall for 15 yrs + and taking the initiative to open others minds and at least eyes but to no avail , when it came down to it they took a step backwards and that's when I realized I'm done.
But on ther hand a 10 yr old kid that lives across the street was practicing some rudiments single stroke roll I asked him how long has he been practicing this he said a few weeks but that he was get bored hitting a rubber pad , so I gave him an older sound percussion snare I had and didnt use any more , the smile on his face was pricless.

Benthedrummer

Thank you.

It's like this in most small towns, so if I want to keep doing this, which is my greatest passion, it's not something you can ignore or escape. I've known I wanted to be music teacher since I was like 9 yo because I got this overall concept already then from local schoolband attitudes and the type of groups we're not supposed to talk about on internet forums.. I just want to give the kids something better than I had and one of the reasons it's so so heartbreaking is that it's really an easy fix, if you're able to learn and understand things by concept, that is. It just requires a bit of humility, honor and integrity, that's all. If it's not working, be honest about it and with yourself and at least try your best.

Odd, I understand what you are doing now. I thought you were having a personal mental health crisis as you sounded very different than normal......that's why I messaged you with my concerns a few days ago.

I see what you are doing.

It is people like you that have a passion and desire to keep music alive for future generations.

You have my deepest respect and admiration.

Sincerely........ regards Ben.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Like some others have said, feels like Groundhog Day coupled with mental exhaustion.

Here in NJ it's still fairly locked down but our band has its first gig in mid-June since closing up shop in February, so that'll be very interesting to see how this works. I was scratching my head since it's at an outdoor pool party at one of the county park systems' community pools!

This is going to be a sacrilegious statement, but having not played a live gig in almost 5 months, I'm not looking forward to the June one hahaha.... My mind wants to play but my body has been quite pleased not schlepping gear around for the past 5 months!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Odd, I understand what you are doing now. I thought you were having a personal mental health crisis as you sounded very different than normal.

I see what you are doing.

It is people like you that have a passion and desire to keep music alive for future generations.

You have my deepest respect and admiration.

Sincerely........ regards Ben.

Oh, I've definetly had very real NAS(Narcissistic Abuse Disorder) from this, but it's sort of passed. Not helped by the previous concilman reporting me to the police when I tried to commnicate with him about it.

Long story short though, the police were on my side once they got the whole story, it's just not much they can do. After writing several reports also to the district attourney and a unique post called om Norway "Silvilombudsmannen", an independent organ lead by a former superior court justice, I have done all the things I have to do before starting the process of a formal lawsuit, obviously pro bono.

I try to distinguish between the legal stuff and this thing, though. It is however part of the work to talk about why these things happen and how to avoid them in the future. It's not a unique story to me. It happens to a lot of teachers in these schools. The better they are, the more they care, the more they posess the ability to be objective about their work and results the more likely it is for them to fall victim to it as they focus their energy on their students and doing a good job instead of playing this narcissist's game.

There is loss of time, health and so far loss of income is probalby around $ 400k. So yes, it's definetly serious on a personal level, as well.

In any case, this provides some meaning to my life as I'm not really working normally until the legal stuff is somewhat done. I'll keep doing it as time allows forever, though.

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Those vids you post are cool, how you get so much natural low end from a 22" bass drum is amazing. More 80s cheese please!

I spend a lot of my summers in Herefordshire, lot of wedding business just down the M5, alas not this summer! None of us are 100% reliant on the gig money either. I just see a nightmare trying to get any kind of payment from the government and proving earnings especially from seasonal work.

A lot of our gigs are being rescheduled, unfortunately with function stuff it's all dependent on whether you're free on the day it's been moved to.
Thanks for the video props, & the bass drum low end thing. Anyone who's heard Guru's in a room will testify it's not all down to EQ ;)

Once we're up & running again. please let me know if you're in the Shire, & we'll take a beer or two ;)

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Like some others have said, feels like Groundhog Day coupled with mental exhaustion.

Yes, the last days in such a situation is complete burnout and instead of being able to fight back, you just walk around in dispear wondering how anyone with a conscience can behave like this and bury yourself even more into the actual work.

The post-traumatic reaction is very similar to other types of abuse.

I would be very careful with this if it didn't make me feel better, but it does and the support, though not visible on the internet is great from 99% of people on the street, former students, parents and collegues.

It's the third year I'm doing this and I'll be much more active this year. It's enjoyable and feels meaningful.

I'm the type of person that would probably make a great doctor, soldier or well..headmaster, but these political games just seems so childish and stupid to me. It's how I try to teach the kids not to be. This is a way to approach these issues that suit my personality.

When it comes to Norway, the whole country is like a small townike, if you know any famous Norwegian artists I'm at most one friend or acquaintance away from them. I'm sure the music scene even in many bigger cities are a bit like that and my small country of roughly 5,3 million is exactly like that. One big family, but with quite few nasty uncles and aunts.

In any case. This was always the plan, this type of work, but my current situation was not planned. You do what you can, right?

One thing that put fuel under the fire that was already there was professor Anne Bamford, author of the Wow Factor, that was hired by the Norwegian Center of Art and Culture to do research and write a report about the quality in Norwegian music schools in 2010/11.

Needless to say, things are bad and those that need to understand it don't have the base knowledge to have a real perspective.

Last edited:

mikyok

Platinum Member
Thanks for the video props, & the bass drum low end thing. Anyone who's heard Guru's in a room will testify it's not all down to EQ ;)

Once we're up & running again. please let me know if you're in the Shire, & we'll take a beer or two ;)

Only ever played a 24 in person trying out some Amedias in Manchester.

Unfortunately I'm usually in the shire on business usually but the HPA s to die for down there!

TMe

What's bothers me most about all of this is realizing how many Canadians wear tinfoil hats. I had no idea.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Been trying like hell to get in shape. Been practicing pretty much daily, I forgot how one can strengthen ones hands and the feeling that gives one on the kit, feet too. I am full on addicted to scrolling on my phone it makes me sick, I can’t stand it. I crack one of my books every couple days. I watch and rewatch Burn Notice and I’m going f$&@%^# bonkers, thnx for asking. Please send help

RayI

Been trying like hell to get in shape. Been practicing pretty much daily, I forgot how one can strengthen ones hands and the feeling that gives one on the kit, feet too. I am full on addicted to scrolling on my phone it makes me sick, I can’t stand it. I crack one of my books every couple days. I watch and rewatch Burn Notice and I’m going f$&@%^# bonkers, thnx for asking. Please send help
I sympathize with you , did a John Wayne movie binge the other night , even my kit hasn't called out to me unlike before it would say play me , need to find a new way to motivate myself before I go nuts