How's everyone holding up?

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Haven't touched my drumset in about two months since it's at my parents and I'm trying to avoid them as much as I can, but have been trying to play my drum pad daily. Usually put in between 30-45 minutes per day on it. Technique has definitely seen improvement.

Aboulger116

I'm of the fortunate few still working normally. I'm in telecom, still driving around California and Nevada like normal. It's been fairly difficult finding hotels and food. In big cities it's almost impossible unless you have time to wait in drive thru lines. Girlfriend won't be working as she's in childcare, doesn't help financially but we're staying on the surface luckily.

Been able to practice like normal too. Also fortunate to have a bedroom in my house designated as a studio. Wanted to buy some new cymbals with my stimulus thing if my bills were covered but I didn't qualify for it, so no new cymbals :(

Staying hopeful for anyone that is struggling mentally or financially.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Battle? As in, "Music education or no music education"?

As in it sucks and everything modern and functional is discriminated against.

I'm going all over this year, but Tynset has a special place in my heart because that's where I made the most difference until the narsissistic abuse wasn't possible to take anymore. Was meant to be my home maybe forever.

Most small towns in Norway have this issue, though. Including my own. Understanding that at 9 yo was the reason I decided I wanted to become a music teacher when I grew up. Not the narsissism part, I learned that a lot later, but the general issues and why things didn't work anymore. It's a big subject.

I'm also suing these people and probably on sick leave until that's done. I started this thing a couple of years ago and now I have the energy to take it further. I'll need millions to move on in any meaningful way, so this is one way of feeling useful. Sadly, compensation and penalties are probably the lowest in the world. In the US there would easily be substantial jailtime for things gone this far.

I've asked the councilman and mayor to hold a 30 min presentation of these general issues at a council meeting, so this is also a way to apply a bit of pressure to make that happen,

Everyone else in ths town likes me a lot, but it's a typical small town thing where "Everyone knows the truth, but we don't talk about it" kinda place.

Basically, I show up with my gear, flyers, posters, t-shirt and play for 4 hours straight from 10 am to 2 pm. either outside city hall or if on a Saturday the mall. There will be a website eventually, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I have a few other places on my list, but I'll be back to Tynset to do it 3 days in a row during the local, very small,l jazz festival in August.

Obviously, I'm nuts, but this is what I care about and you have to start somewhere.

It was always the plan to get politically involved in these things regardless. What happened to me just proves how bad things really are.

I became a teacher so young students would have something better than I had. Doing this for the same reason. I don't differentiate.

This was the initial reason for me to look into the small Farmer kits.

Last edited:

wildbill

Platinum Member
....I am monitoring my destination on webcam constantly. I don't have a tent yet, so rain or snow will put an end to it. It will be more or less around freezing, but I'll survive. I may reconsider bringing the full kit which was the plan this time....

You can do it:

SIERRA%20snow%20swimming%20TB_0.jpg

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
There was a bit of snow on Monday, but it's been fine since. The snow around here came as a surprise for everytoday..

Forecasts claim there won't be any rainfall on Friday. It will be around 33 degrees when I start and when I'm done it should have risen to a scorching 39.

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
I've been working from home full-time on my normal shifts since the 23rd of March. On the 20th of March I was working in a library filled with hundreds of students yet somehow seem to have not had Covid - well, I might have - we both had a week of feeling dreadful but fortunately if it was, it was very mild.

Starting to go a bit mad and I've been very, very down and turning into a bit of a workaholic. I work in IT and have a full remote support setup from home including VOIP phone, laptop, two monitors, VPN, etc. so actually doing my job has been easy enough. The issue is that I'm continually checking my productivity levels against my colleagues in our CRM and the two other people that have the same job as me (and do the same work) are doing about 1/3rd of what I am on one of their good days.

Getting a bit sick of it to be honest. First thing in the morning for the last two weeks (I've been on an earlier shift) I've cleared out all the outstanding issues, replied to issues and then start on the inbox but today, nothing got touched for at least an hour by anybody else except one of my seniors who is very, very sympathetic and understands why I'm getting so frustrated. One of the two others has a newborn at home and I can forgive but the other chap doesn't and had done roughly 1/8th of the total that I had (very rough measurements, I don't pull down the full figures for my own sanity). He had his probation extended and is through that and my boss is well aware that I seem to be shouldering a lot more than my colleagues. Today, I made a point of not touching the email inbox and slacked off for as long as I could bear. Still got a lot more done than the others.

I know it's not me, either. My boss has reassured me that I'm doing it right. She knows there are issues and is trying to support everyone but I'm getting a bit manic about getting all the work done and can't seem to chill out over it. I see something that needs doing, I do it straight away and I'm generally very quick about it when I figure out the solution.

I like my job and on a personal level I like all of my team, they're really nice people. I just don't know why I'm trawling through all the shite though. I know it's noticed and hopefully it'll be recognised but I'm pushing to get better, improve myself and move forward a bit too hard.

TJK

I am back at work taking home slightly less than the 1100$ a week on unemployment. ? Nothing to do but I am glad to be back

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
You can do it:

SIERRA%20snow%20swimming%20TB_0.jpg

Looks lie I have no ecuse then. :)

Sunday May 17th is our Independence Day, or Constitution Day as we call it, which will be celebrated on the internet this year.

May 15th however is very much live. Live in 26 hours.

Last edited:

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Without consultation, my brother in arms has decidded on the music for the road. It's like I have no say in this relationship at all.

IMG-1985.JPG

RayI

Steely Dan is a favorite of mine depending on the moment.
But that's a funny looking chicken I'll leave that one alone. Lol

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Last edited:

dwsabianguy

As soon as we heard about the unemployment benefits, my dad laid me off of work so I could get it, and hired, then fired my girlfriend, so she could do the same. I'm now making more in unemployment than I did beforehand, and using that money to pay down my debts. So I'm not complaining. I'm still helping out at the shop making stickers.

In my free time I've taken to clearing trails through the woods around my house. Turns out there's an ancient pond hidden back in the trees, so we now have a walking loop around it!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I should mention that Roger has a couple of cousins also in the biz.

Roger's job is more like this.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
We're heading into a 3rd month of lockdown in the UK, not sure of the situation across the rest of the world.
How we all coping out there?
Hi my friend. I'm Southwest of you, but of course, same situation.

Just this morning, I got notified that the very last of our festival / event gigs cancelled for this year. Bummer, as many of them were significant (for us) & hard won. The only silver lining is that every gig has confirmed us on the same basis for next year.

As for band activity, we're occupying ourselves with creating some lockdown recordings / videos, and actually learning a lot in the process (both playing & tech challenges), so not a complete write-off.

Lack of income from gig fees is a bummer in terms of plans for that money, but thankfully, non of us are 100% reliant on gig income. I feel terribly for those that are, although many with provable receipts are benefitting from one of the more generous musician performer compensation packages I'm aware of around the world.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Being retired, this hasn't affected me much at all. I'm having groceries and any meds delivered. Just got notice that my car insurance company is giving members a credit of about 20% for the next few months based on the lessened driving and accidents. Spending a lot of time in the shop making sawdust and learning new tricks on my power tools. My only advice, unsolicited, is to try and be patient, enjoy the family, find other things to occupy your time and hope for the best. This is all new to all of us, and will take time to straighten out.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Drums are back in the shed and I'm pretty much completely exhausted. 5 hours each way and somehow squeezing inbetween my bass drum and floor tom and snare to sleep. Putting the hardware in the ski box made it possible.

It was a good trip in general. I got to talk to a lot of people who now know a lot about my story in that place and oubviously why I'm doing this. Everyone's very supportive. Not everyone was equally comfortable, mainly my old boss (who's not in that job anymre, probably due to me) sneaking by in the background and a few politicians and officials. They all knew because the police informed them, but it's a peaceful legal demonstration. Very loud at times, but peaceful demostration. The police car patrol did stop by several times. God nows what they thought. Actually, they called be just before I started to make sure what was going on.

Best part of the day was several groups of 1-3 graders passing by. I started them doing the "secret door knock" and then I soloed a bit over it. When they walked away they got a typical drum march. Their teachers were cool and totally into it.

My sidekick Roger "Buffalo" Wings got a few spots, but he needs some friends. I'll do a bit more of the Tommy Campbell thing once I find more quality squeeky toys like his.

Next time is planned for Saturday here in my home town. I just have to get it cleared with the boss there on Monday as he wasn't at work yesterday.

In most small towns the community center and city hall are the same building. That is, if it's a relatively newish one. That's not the case in my home town, but the mall is the best choice in most places for Saturdays. That's where most people will be doing their safe distance shopping. Not a mall, really. Just the biggest grocery store with the biggest parking area.

Tynset has a very special place in my heart and I'll probably be going there one more time for each other place I go. All is fair in love and war... and this is both in a way.

Today is our National Day, so temporary banner change is in order.

mQeqeXy.jpg

"For the children and Norway."

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
The hookup to the sewer alone is 5100. So I'm glad I granted the easement back then. It's still like a 20,000 at least job. So I just have to laugh at the timing.
Damn Larry :(

I like my job and on a personal level I like all of my team, they're really nice people. I just don't know why I'm trawling through all the shite though. I know it's noticed and hopefully it'll be recognised but I'm pushing to get better, improve myself and move forward a bit too hard.
Duncan, perhaps if you back off a touch, that will also be noticed in a positive context, plus you won't be spinning wheels into your personal time quite so much.

Drums are back in the shed and I'm pretty much completely exhausted. 5 hours each way and somehow squeezing inbetween my bass drum and floor tom and snare to sleep. Putting the hardware in the ski box made it possible.

It was a good trip in general. I got to talk to a lot of people who now know a lot about my story in that place and oubviously why I'm doing this. Everyone's very supportive.
Odd-Arne, I'm not fully understanding exactly what you're doing. Have I missed something?

Benthedrummer

It was a good trip in general. I got to talk to a lot of people who now know a lot about my story in that place and oubviously why I'm doing this. Everyone's very supportive. Not everyone was equally comfortable, mainly my old boss (who's not in that job anymre, probably due to me) sneaking by in the background and a few politicians and officials. They all knew because the police informed them, but it's a peaceful legal demonstration. Very loud at times, but peaceful demostration. The police car patrol did stop by several times. God nows what they thought. Actually, they called be just before I started to make sure what was going on.

Best part of the day was several groups of 1-3 graders passing by. I started them doing the "secret door knock" and then I soloed a bit over it. When they walked away they got a typical drum march. Their teachers were cool and totally into it.

My sidekick Roger "Buffalo" Wings got a few spots, but he needs some friends. I'll do a bit more of the Tommy Campbell thing once I find more quality squeeky toys like his.

Next time is planned for Saturday here in my home town. I just have to get it cleared with the boss there on Monday as he wasn't at work yesterday.

In most small towns the community center and city hall are the same building. That is, if it's a relatively newish one. That's not the case in my home town, but the mall is the best choice in most places for Saturdays. That's where most people will be doing their safe distance shopping. Not a mall, really. Just the biggest grocery store with the biggest parking area.

Tynset has a very special place in my heart and I'll probably be going there one more time for each other place I go. All is fair in love and war... and this is both in a way.

Today is our National Day, so temporary banner change is in order.

mQeqeXy.jpg

"For the children and Norway."

Hey Odd........ummm, what exactly is happening with you here?

There seems to be a drastic change in your mood from your normal posts.

It's a bit concerning.

Are you ok?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Hey Odd........ummm, what exactly is happening with you here?

There seems to be a drastic change in your mood from your normal posts.

It's a bit concerning.

Are you ok?

I definetly fear the day when having a social conscience is concerning. I guess that's always been like that. Some people care only about themselves and what others think about them. I'm a teacher, for the right reasons, so that should be explanation enough.

I simply have knowledge and a set of balls which I guess most people do not, hence I'm doing my duty as a citizen.

People thnking you're nuts is par for the course....for a while. Reality though, is that most people get it, just not those that need too for things to happen.

I do not know where you're from. You may come from a big city in the US, or something. Small town Norway and what they have to offer kids in the arts and the biggest issue is not money, it's the attitudes. This is not considered a real job by many officials, but if you're into modern music, instruments and methology the schools also have those issues internally. I know anyone who got their musical education far back enough in the US, who had other interests, get the concept. The damage done on beginner levels in what's supposed to be official schools of equal opprtunity is horrendous. If you live in a small town chances of you as a young kid getting what you're supposed to are zero. Sadly, it's not about money at all. It's about attitudes. Xenophobia and narcissism in leadership.

A day usually filled with music by school bands has everything to do with it. It's quite relevant.

This is not a thread about teaching, methods, technique. This is what's going on right now. Drumming For Equality was started about 3 years ago. This is what we/I do.

This is what I do with my spare time. This is where my heart is. If you didn't know, now you do.

If this is scary, you don't want to see my t-shirt which slogan has a much deeper meaning than it's inital "shock factor."

This is the whole point of iving in a free country. It''s not just my right and my duty.

I'm not gonna go any more into it. It's not that kind of politics, so it should be fine, but it's really about where I live.

The upcoming website will not be a political site per se. It will be a resource site. Exposing issues for sure, but also providing solutions. Peace and understanding is brought by educating ourselves, broadening our horizons, our perspectives. The only reason anyone finds what I do uncomfortable is that they resist change and growth and feel that the only way they can survive is by holding other people down. They want to hold on to their status and don't know any other way to do it.

One might not like the way I talk about by former boss, but she's one of the people I'm working on a lawsuit against for long lasting severe narcissistic use. There is a correlation here, but not one I will make through my organization because I may start crossing the legal lines and the pt id to be better than thse people. Not to sink down on their level. I've suffered real NAS(post traumaic narsissitic abuse disorder) from this and to the question if I'm fine, yes, I'm better than in a long time which is the reason I have the energy and inspiration to go ahead with this work. I've put things on hold as you should not do this kind of work nor take people to court before you've mostly worked through that stuff. It should not be done in anger or a victimmentality, It should be done bevcause it's the obvious and logical thing to do.

I'm also practicing much more and my creative juices are also starting to flow again.

Yes, it's probably weird to those that don't dare do stuff like this themselves. Grown man showing up out if nowhere with W.I.M Trio blasting on his car stereo. Setting up his full drums set and then just play for 4 hours, giving fitting musical greeting to anyone who walks by. It's good therapy, good practice and good exercise, fresh air literally and metaphorically...

Last edited:

mikyok

Platinum Member
Hi my friend. I'm Southwest of you, but of course, same situation.

Just this morning, I got notified that the very last of our festival / event gigs cancelled for this year. Bummer, as many of them were significant (for us) & hard won. The only silver lining is that every gig has confirmed us on the same basis for next year.

As for band activity, we're occupying ourselves with creating some lockdown recordings / videos, and actually learning a lot in the process (both playing & tech challenges), so not a complete write-off.

Lack of income from gig fees is a bummer in terms of plans for that money, but thankfully, non of us are 100% reliant on gig income. I feel terribly for those that are, although many with provable receipts are benefitting from one of the more generous musician performer compensation packages I'm aware of around the world.

Those vids you post are cool, how you get so much natural low end from a 22" bass drum is amazing. More 80s cheese please!

I spend a lot of my summers in Herefordshire, lot of wedding business just down the M5, alas not this summer! None of us are 100% reliant on the gig money either. I just see a nightmare trying to get any kind of payment from the government and proving earnings especially from seasonal work.

A lot of our gigs are being rescheduled, unfortunately with function stuff it's all dependent on whether you're free on the day it's been moved to.