How's everyone holding up?

Jml

Lucky enough to be working from home here in NJ. Wife was laid off, which doesn’t help financially. Neither does all the missed paying gigs, which I’m sure will continue through the summer. I think they’ll start slowly re-opening here, especially since the Jersey shore relies totally on tourists and beach goers.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Right after this all started, my '97 Geo Tracker took a dump on me (auto tranny)

I feel your pain. About 6 weeks ago or so I lost third gear. Went to go get another tranny from the JY. None available in my area at all. Tons of Hyundais with the same drivetrain combo, but are all auto. I need a 5 speed.

AZDRUMZ

things here In Arizona might open up on the 15th, which is good so that we can keep a stable economy. I have to live out of my room for right now since my parents are worried ab getting the worlds new bitch. but in the end, we will beat this thing to the ground

bud7h4

Silver Member
Getting rusty. I mean really rusty like I haven't been in years. With everyone home most of the day I'm only practicing about an hour once or twice a week, as opposed to normally every day. Creativity, speed, dynamics, everything is blah. Timing is good but that's internal not physical.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I just have to laugh at the timing of things. 2020 is kicking my ass. I've only worked maybe a week in the last 3 months. And my septic system...my drain field is hopelessly clogged from 62 years of absorbing disgusting vileness. Plus I need a whole new well water treatment system. Brown water from the faucets. No laundry for now. So I have water problems coming and going. I'm hooking into the city sewer system. Luckily I granted an easement 15 years ago for some houses that were being built for a sewer line to run along my property. I got 5,000. So at least I have city sewer on my property. (No city water on my street)The hookup to the sewer alone is 5100. So I'm glad I granted the easement back then. It's still like a 20,000 at least job. So I just have to laugh at the timing.

Yamaha Rider

Lucky enough to be working from home here in NJ. Wife was laid off, which doesn’t help financially. Neither does all the missed paying gigs, which I’m sure will continue through the summer. I think they’ll start slowly re-opening here, especially since the Jersey shore relies totally on tourists and beach goers.
Talk of possibly reopening venues with social distancing/ outdoor spaces in July in the UK.
Cornwall, UK is almost totally reliant on tourism too.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Talk of possibly reopening venues with social distancing/ outdoor spaces in July in the UK.
Cornwall, UK is almost totally reliant on tourism too.

It's a nice thought, I think people will be too scared to and the professional curtain twitchers will go after anyone who tries to have a bit of freedom.

I'm missing my cricket season, being a captain I get e-mails from the ECB and we're off until July at the moment. Pointless us playing as all the clubs are reliant on the money made on the bar to keep going.

Leisure and tourism/events and hospitality is screwed and we're all tied in with both.

AxisDrummer

Physically, I'm great. Mentally...completely exhausted.

I'm a manager at a supermarket and practically have lived there since mid-March. Still doing 150-200% more business than last year at this time. My wife is working her job from home while trying to home-school/entertain an attention-seeking 6 year old. The paychecks are there and bills getting paid, but it's definitely taking a toll on our family life. Lots of short tempers due to the stress. I'm working 70+ hours/week 7 days a week and my wife says that I'm paying for my own funeral.

I'm very bummed out about not playing music. I have barely touched my drums for 2 months due to being depressed about not playing gigs. My band of 5 years had several high-profile (for us) gigs on the books including a first-ever July 4th gig, all cancelled.

Music venues/bars are re-opening but cancelling all shows. Bands are allowed to "re-negotiate" their asking price but I've heard that most bands who are playing are getting about $20/member plus encouraged to put out a tip bucket. Some full bands are still performing "for the love of playing" (aka....free) but overall, it's now a lot of acoustic duos/trios who are taking all the lost gigs. I'm devastated because I play music to play LIVE.

Rhythm666

Hi there, also in the 3rd month of semi lockdown here in Holland. No band practice for me as we cannot guarantee the social distancing in our private practice room. I still can bash if I want and do so every now and then. Stay safe guys

mikyok

Platinum Member
Physically, I'm great. Mentally...completely exhausted.

I'm a manager at a supermarket and practically have lived there since mid-March. Still doing 150-200% more business than last year at this time. My wife is working her job from home while trying to home-school/entertain an attention-seeking 6 year old. The paychecks are there and bills getting paid, but it's definitely taking a toll on our family life. Lots of short tempers due to the stress. I'm working 70+ hours/week 7 days a week and my wife says that I'm paying for my own funeral.

I'm very bummed out about not playing music. I have barely touched my drums for 2 months due to being depressed about not playing gigs. My band of 5 years had several high-profile (for us) gigs on the books including a first-ever July 4th gig, all cancelled.

We're lucky as we don't have young kids to look after at the moment, my wife is in the NHS also but has been made to work weekends so we get Sundays together. It's bad enough living with another person under the same roof, we have his and her living rooms. If we'd have spent the last two months soley in each others space there would be a patio built in the garden with one of us under it (and my wife can kill a man with a lash of her tongue) ;)

Supermarkets must be hell on earth, I've seen the abuse staff are taking....there's not enough money in the world to put up with that.

I'm missing the social side of jamming with people more than anything, I'm putting in time on my practice pad to keep my hands fast and loose.

BruceW

I've been working right through this ("essential" they say) so I haven't felt the economic impact that so many have, fortunately. I've been trying to keep my chops up by playing on my e-kit. Not the same, of course, but I have not only kept our set lists fresh, I feel that I may have actually worked out a couple of different fill elements that I hadn't used previously. Given the time I've had, I probably could have done more to improve techniques, which is kind of a shame. (Of course, there's an awful lot of projects around my house that haven't gotten the attention they could have during this down time, too...its easy to get lethargic and crash on the couch)

I did get together with a couple of my band mates one time, we did flesh out a couple new songs that they had written, so new original material is a good thing. We're hoping to do a live stream from his living room for an hour or so, acoustically (the blessed cajon for me) later this week, which is kind of exciting.

We had been booked for almost every available weekend this year, save for a few open dates in the fourth quarter that we weren't concerned about filling this early. So we've been discouraged, of course. We had been gaining momentum locally. But that's not truly important, in the big picture. Hopefully those venues will be able to be open when this starts to get under control. One of our main places to play may very well not survive, and we're very disappointed about that.

Take care, every one. We'll get there. We have to.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I have a demonstration planned on Friday.

This is still the situation here at home right now.

http://instagr.am/p/CAH4ejNAAXx/

I am monitoring my destination on webcam constantly. I don't have a tent yet, so rain or snow will put an end to it. It will be more or less around freezing, but I'll survive. I may reconsider bringing the full kit which was the plan this time,

uphRoOO.jpg

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
Im an expat in Malaysia. Last week we finished a 7 week period where we could only go out for food shopping or medical assistance. I only left the house once during this time. Financially I’m fine, and coped well with the 7 weeks. No gigs for the foreseeable future, but it’s just a hobby anyway.
The pro musicians in Malaysia are really taking a hit though.

RayI

http://instagr.am/p/CAH4ejNAAXx/

I am monitoring my destination on webcam constantly. I don't have a tent yet, so rain or snow will put an end to it. It will be more or less around freezing, but I'll survive. I may reconsider bringing the full kit which was the plan this time,

uphRoOO.jpg
I've had enough of the white stuff
Good luck

cbphoto

Gold Member

<snow, snow, more snow>

Meanwhile, all other forum members are thinking, “Snow? Odd Arne lives where there’s no sun in the winter, 24-hour sun in the summer. He eats ice sandwiches for lunch and drinks fine ale with Odin while watching Freya dance to his drums. What’s the problem here?”

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Meanwhile, all other forum members are thinking, “Snow? Odd Arne lives where there’s no sun in the winter, 24-hour sun in the summer.

I would have to drive north for about two whole days. Small country, but a very long country.

Though it has happened, snow is definetly not normal in May.

Red dot is where I live and blue dot is where my political battle for public music education will start this year.

Norge.jpg

cbphoto

Gold Member
Red dot is where I live and blue dot is where my political battle for public music education will start this year.
Battle? As in, "Music education or no music education"?

And those roads. tsk-tsk. Over here in 'murica we prefer things straight, so we use the ol' Swede invention dynamite to make tunnels and remove mountains. Then we can go 160 kph all the way. If you ever visit the Allegheny Mountains in Pennsylvania, you'll see what I mean.