How would you innovate the cowbell?

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
It's about time! I wish someone would innovate the cowbell.

How about a stand alone digital cowbell.
> Plugs into 120 vac.
> Is the same size as a large cowbell.
> Clamps on to the bass drum hoop.
> Has it's own speaker and volume control.
> Comes with pre-programmed cowbell sounds.
> Has the ability to accept .wav file sounds.
(Comes with pre-programmed Honky Tonk Woman cowbell sound) LOL

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
It would be a true god send if someone could make a "pitchable" cowbell. Everyone needs a small high-pitched one for hits like "Honky Tonk Woman" and "Good Times, Bad Times", but other times you really need that meaty low-pitched cowbell for the big rock n roll tunes too.

I don't mind carrying both, but it'd be nice.

But I guess it would be like a guitar player wishing for a double neck that has a Fender Strat on the bottom, and a Gibson Les Paul on the top.

KamaK

Platinum Member
You could mount it on a rotary and add vibrato / tremolo...

Hitting it would be difficult though....

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
It would be difficult and somewhat unnecessary to innovate something that does one thing, and does it well. It would have been enough that there are dozens of sound variations, but there's been one stand-out innovation. LP introduced the Rock Ridge, a plastic 'lip' riveted onto some of their models to prevent/delay beating-up the cowbell's edge. Smart, and truly useful, not a gimmick!

I'm a Rhythm Tech endorser, and have most of their tambourines, shakers, and cowbells at my disposal. But on the 2018 tour, I'm bringing an LP cowbell with Rock Ridge and expect it to last for at least 76 performances!

I love my Rhythm Tech gear, but LP did them one better on that. :)

Bermuda

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Imagine your shock when you visit Kickstarter.
I forgive those who believe they're going to build a better mousetrap.

Actually, there has been a semi-recent change to the mousetrap. Instead of the little metal tab where you place a dab of peanut butter and top it with a doggie kibble nugget (it's to die for!) they've turned it into a larger surface where you can put the peanut butter mix, or apply some rodent attractant.

But the result is still the same! Sniff, chomp, whoosh, snap, "EEEK!", wiggle wiggle, sigh, ack.

And a cowbell goes dink, dank, donk, or donggggg... and that's all I really expect from it.

Bermuda

J-Boogie

Gold Member
How about some variation of a ride sizzle chain, but with larger, wooden beads or balls. Perhaps mounted on top of the cowbell, perhaps inside. Im picturing in my mind, very best case scenario and stretching but, almost a rain stick type of sound. Bonk...clog clog clog clog

konaboy

Pioneer Member
It would be a true god send if someone could make a "pitchable" cowbell. Everyone needs a small high-pitched one for hits like "Honky Tonk Woman" and "Good Times, Bad Times", but other times you really need that meaty low-pitched cowbell for the big rock n roll tunes too.

I don't mind carrying both, but it'd be nice.

But I guess it would be like a guitar player wishing for a double neck that has a Fender Strat on the bottom, and a Gibson Les Paul on the top.
Bo that would be pretty awesome!!

jimzo

I like the "dial-a-bell" idea for electronics. Could even be tuned physically with modular pieces that snap or latch on. (either in permanent or temp).

How about in place of the "tonsil" a snare of some sort that would act as a reverb. Made of steel/metal that is in the middle East to West as wide as the internal cowbell wall at the weld seam. The reverb Macro-sized would look similar to a jail cell door.

Hey I like what they did with the egg shakers and they also come in different colors that represent timbre.

oh.. and be nice and don't be a buzz kill
. It wasn't easy chiseling a wheel out of stone ! heh

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Once I got the Bell Diablo, all else became obsolete. I've learned I can hit it near the mount for a higher pitch & dead in the middle for a lower one.
I do love the "Lip" on the Rider model and wish there was one on here. But I'll annoy people as much as possible until Bruce Dickinson comes out of the booth and tells me to stop.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
There is that crafter who has been building custom cowbells that have springs attached kind of like a cross between a reco-reco and a cow bell. Kind of cool sort of dirty and industrial but artistic at the same time.

Personally, I would explore the possibilities in pitched and tuned cow bells, make a pentatonic set that you could play a guajeo with. I've seen pentatonic ago go bells in Brazilian music.