How would you have responded?

DrummerCA35

Playing drums with the band at a bar on Saturday. Some guy comes up, at the start of a set, and starts introducing himself to each band member and informing him that he's a drummer. Then he introduced himself to me, sticks out his hand and informs me that he's a drummer, and that he'll take my job.

I said something like "yeah, nice to meet you; I can see that", and then counted the band off into the next set.

Was that supposed to be a funny knee-slapper? "Hi, I'm so-and-so, and I play drums and I'll take your job." Not that I give a sh--. Just seems like a stupid thing to say regardless of the intention. No biggie, but I think of some funny things now to say, a day later.

Playing drums with the band at a bar on Saturday. Some guy comes up, at the start of a set, and starts introducing himself to each band member and informing him that he's a drummer. Then he introduced himself to me, sticks out his hand and informs me that he's a drummer, and that he'll take my job.

I said something like "yeah, nice to meet you; I can see that", and then counted the band off into the next set.

Was that supposed to be a funny knee-slapper? "Hi, I'm so-and-so, and I play drums and I'll take your job." Not that I give a sh--. Just seems like a stupid thing to say regardless of the intention. No biggie, but I think of some funny things now to say, a day later.

I can think of no better way to ensure that he won't get your job. If someone said something similar to my band's guitarist or bass player, I would (rightfully) sort him into the "never gonna call" section of my mental Rolodex. Music isn't a competition or pissing contest.

The story goes that Keith Moon said something similar to the original drummer in the High Numbers.

OP, you handled yourself with class.

How I would have responded is rather different, but I'm pretty sure that my response would have involved both his wife and his mother.

Someone that good, in his mind, should be playing not threatening other drummers. Congrats on taking the high road.

I'd like to think I'd handle it in a polite way like you did. I'd probably laugh and say something like "good luck with that!" I like to try and diffuse awkward moments with humor.

I'm hoping he was just making a poor attempt at a joke, but it doesn't sound like it. Screw him, you acted with class.

"Oh! Fantastic! I didn't want to load out anyway. There's all the cases over there. Make sure nothing gets damaged!"

I know a couple of guys like that who've said something similar, and no, they can't close the deal. not because they couldn't play, but because nobody likes an arrogant clown, whether it's in jest, or genuine.

I've been known to say "Sorry, they won't pay for a real drummer."

Bermuda

The story goes that Keith Moon said something similar to the original drummer in the High Numbers.

Hmmm not according to Dave Golding, the guy who was actually drumming that night. He tells us this story instead.

While Golding took a break, people asked Moon to get up and play and he did. But he didn't famously 'break the drums' either (myth). Townsend asked Golding to come to their next recording session, but he declined it, suggested Moonie instead, and the rest is history.

OP - very classy move. I think I would have reacted differently, like 'seriously"?

Good thing you had a song to do. That conversation probably wouldn't have gone well. You did the right thing by not letting him push your buttons. You were well within your rights to blast him. But what are we, barbarians? Allow the guy his delusions. You could have said, many have tried, none have succeeded ha ha or something like that to diffuse the guy's barbaric remark.

Drummers are a boastful bunch in the beginning. I have an 11 YO stepson and if you ask him he'll tell you he is a great drummer, believing every word of it. I was the exact same way, it's part of the journey when you start young. Except I don't know how old your heckler was.

What a jerk. Such a response would have been so unexpected I'm not sure what my immediate response would have been. I would likely have told him to bugger off. You can't go wrong with the high road though. Good on you.

Guys, as usual, thanks for all the replies and comments. I will again say that I really love this forum.

He was probably in his 40s or 50s by my guess. He shook hands with everybody and was dancing. After his interaction, he was dancing again along with everyone else.

Maybe he was more abrasive than I thought at the time. I kind of took his remark to mean that he liked the band, the material, and wished that he was the one playing with the band.

I think back to the columns that Rick Van Horn wrote in modern drummer magazine. I mean it was a Saturday night and I was the one with the gig and not him. I guess I thought, if he was so great why didn't he have a gig? But, I didn't say it.

This is when you pull a Happy Gilmore when he broke the beer bottle and threatened the "golfer". So break and drum stick and threaten to put out his eye or something. No just kidding. You should have started twirling your drum sticks and laughed hysterically at his joke-like rolling off your drum throne. Thanked him for the good laugh.

Hmmm not according to Dave Golding, the guy who was actually drumming that night. He tells us this story instead.

While Golding took a break, people asked Moon to get up and play and he did. But he didn't famously 'break the drums' either (myth). Townsend asked Golding to come to their next recording session, but he declined it, suggested Moonie instead, and the rest is history.

OP - very classy move. I think I would have reacted differently, like 'seriously"?

I stand corrected. Maybe the story originated from Keith himself while under the influence of some substance. :)

re: Keith Moon
I seem to recall hearing that story from Keith Moon on a US talk show back in the 70's or 80s with the Who.. wouldn't put it past him to exaggerate the story and embellish it for a laugh! It does make for a good story.. especially the part about getting up on the guy's kit and totally smashing it to pieces!

As far as the drum poser goes.. those are the guys that if you let them play your drums - turn out to be the worst drummers on the planet! Another reason why I never let anyone touch my kit - unless I know them.

I also take issue with a band that let's 'guests' get up on stage 'to sing a few'.. it rarely turns out well... (unless you know them of course). They are never as good as they think they are. My rule is if they really want to waltz up on stage and slay the audience with their astounding improvisational skills.. then they can show up at sound check like the rest of us and run through the tune to make sure we're on the same page..

Case in point, one guy got up to strum and sing a tune who had lots of cred and recommendation.. and he gets up and plays the tune - both strumming guitar and singing - in the WRONG KEY.. and he stayed in the wrong key for the entire song! The most cringeworthy thing I've ever heard.
.. or a lady singer who had 'toured all over the place with bands for years.. then gets on stage and picks a song she doesn't know the words for.."Does anyone have a phone?? (to get the lyrics). EIGHT minutes later, she's ready to go.. and then screams so loudly into the mic I'm getting my ears blown off - not worth going deaf for some hack job..
In any case, you can see my point I hope..

Gee, the real life equivalent of a troll. Ignore the crap out of him.

Back