How To Turn Remo Practice Pad Into Frame Drum or Timbale

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Hey everyone!

Here's a new video showing you a neat trick that my young student showed me to quickly turn your standard Remo practice pad into a frame drum for use with both hands and sticks! You can get sounds similar to a djembe with hands, as well as timbales when using sticks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iSn6SRVMfw

I hope some of you have fun with this idea! :)

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
No offense, but that sounds kinda terrible. Hopefully the camera just lost all the sound. On the other hand, those pads are way too loud and don't feel like a real drum, so it's not like I use the one I have...

Arky

Platinum Member
I think it's a nice suggestion. Some might have (more than) enough practice pads and this is a nice way of getting some experience with hand drumming. Plus, depending on what you fill the interior with, you can get a wide range of sounds. This 'mod' is reversible.

Thanks for sharing!

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Thanks guys! As for the sound quality, this trick is cool but it doesn't defy physics. We are using a shallow frame and nothing more. Hence it sounds like many frame drums that I've encountered over the years, as opposed to the rich tones of a drum shell.

More importantly, it's a great resource for kids starting out who are only allowed to have a practice pad (like many of the younger students I take on). It allows them to explore some more musical solutions. There's also the experimental factor as well, where you can fill the pad with different items to achieve various effects. Also, let's not forget that many drummers are on a budget and a practice pad that can be converted into an instrument is a hell of a find!

Last edited: