How to Rivet a Cymbal

newoldie

Silver Member
Rick Dior is a professional drummer/teacher that has the most incredible instructional videos on perhaps the widest range of percussion/drumming topics by one person anywhere on YouTube- from drumming techniques, to drums, to concert band and jazz band drumming, to all sorts of gear...Whew!

Also-- No annoying intros, fluff, chop fests, or promotional garbage here. Great personality and sense of humor to top it all off.

What a collection of great videos for free!

Check him out!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Wow, this is the hard way. A step bit, hand drill, and $5 rivit gun are all you need. No drill press, no steel block or hammer, no shop, no 30 minute operation.

Or just get the chain. Even easier.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Oh how riveting! I used a hand drill and those Zildjisn rivets you hammer the end. Works nice

NouveauCliche

I have a ride that had 3 rivets - over the past years 2 of those have fallen out.

This is probably a dumb question - but what kind of rivets are use and where would I pick up some replacements?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
You can buy split rivets at the hardware store for 1/3 of what the Zildjian one cost. 1/8th inch drill bit, and you are done.

Yamaha Rider

Wow, this is the hard way. A step bit, hand drill, and $5 rivit gun are all you need. No drill press, no steel block or hammer, no shop, no 30 minute operation.

Or just get the chain. Even easier.
Rivet gun? You mean Pop Rivets?
They'll expand and lock up solid in the hole though won't they?

P

Peedy

You do not expand them.

You can flare (aka - expand) the ends to keep them from falling out but you don't use center shaft rivets like you'd find with a Rivet Gun. Different animals altogether.

Pete

Edit - Photo and Info.

Some examples of what to use and what not to use. . . and what NOT to use. Just figured somebody out there was thinking about it.

Rivets.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: