How to remove DW pedal bearings?

ChiTown

One of my DW pedals (8000 model) is really sluggish and i've decided it's probably to do with the bearings. I'm thinking of replacing them as i've read that it's a pretty common way to restore a pedals performance and bring it back to life. As the pictures show i have removed the nuts on both sides but what is the next step to remove the bearings/cam assembly? I've turned it on it's side and given it a few wacks with a hammer and screw driver but it doesn't budge. I've been able to find YT videos and discussion on the web about which bearing to buy and how to clean them but nothing on actually removing or installing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
What are those tiny allen screw deals? do they line up with the sealed bearings?
This looks like the answer. I've not disassembled a DW pedal, but just about every other manufacturers pedals. Usually the bearings just pop out. Easiest way for me was always undo the bolts then wiggle the cam side to side (undo chain first).

Which way are you trying to hammer the bearings (which you should never do), inside out or outside in?

Remember, this wasn't born this way. Someone assembled it by hand. It should come apart pretty easily.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Okay, I got it. The bearings come out the same way as the nuts you removed and the locking rings (RockSalad, the allen screws hold in the locking rings). As I mentioned earlier, unhook the chain and wiggle the hex shaft side to side. It should push the bearings out.

Just in case that doesnt make sense:
DWCP8000.gif

ChiTown

Thanks you guys... I’ll try some WD40 and see if it helps loosen it up. I tried a couple wacks on both sides but didn’t go at it for long because that didn’t seem right. I’ll let you know how it goes.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
WD 40 is a good idea before trying to replace bearings. Do both sides. If that solves the sluggishness, a light machine oil like 3 in 1 oil will last longer than WD 40.

While you're at it lubricate the hinge on your heel plate. if you haven't done so already, tighten all screws front to back, top to bottom. Inspect the beater for any possible play. Check and maybe adjust the spring tension. Look at the part of the pedal where the chain rests on, and where it connects to the horizontal shaft that goes between the 2 posts. If there's play there, the tightening of the screws should have taken care of that. I would be surprised if it is actually the bearings but it's certainly possible. I don't think I ever lubed any of my DW pedals, one of which I got 16 years ago. I did however have the heel hinge go. Maybe check that.

What exactly about it feels sluggish? I'm not understanding.

ChiTown

Thanks for your input. Sluggish might not be the best description. The action is slow and harder to play doubles. The beater doesn’t bounce off the springs as a good pedal should. For example you pull the beater back and let it go when the pedal off off the drum and it only sways like two times whereas my other pedal (Pearl eliminator redline) sways back and forth like 5 or six times. Update: after putting some lube on the bearings the cam spins around the drive rod way smother. I’ll put it back together and see if that’s all it is. Thanks

Morrisman

Platinum Member
When my 5000 got sluggish, the culprit was the bearing at the top of the spring.
On the diagram above its called SP049. Was $5 or so and made the pedal smooth like new again.

ChiTown

I think you nailed it. There seems to be a lot of friction there and it's making some noise (squeak). I pulled it off and it would barely spin and it seems like some ball barrings are missing some how. I oiled it and it made some improvement but i think i'll order a new one since it's so cheep. Thanks