How to Record my Drums

Rodri

Hi
I want to record my drums but my camera as a really bad microphone. I don't know what to buy: a drum microphone set or a digital recorder. Anyway, if i buy the microphones, how can i record them? Do I just connect them someway to the recorder, to the camera or my computer? And if theres another way to record me drumming, a cheapest way, if it's possible, please tell me.
I'm sorry for my bad English, but I think's that my text is understandable.

diegobxr

Silver Member
Hey man,

There are many ways, but I find this one very good:

Drums -> Mics -> Cables -> USB Audio Interface -> Computer (recording software)

I use 4 mics (2 overheads + snare + bass drum) connected directly into an "M-Audio Fast Track Ultra" interface and into Cubase 5 (program).

This way you can record multiple tracks separately. You can also buy a hi-quality recorder like a Zoon HQ3, and it has awesome quality, but you don't get multiple tracks.

Cheers!

Retrovertigo

this question come up WAY too often. can there be a sub forum (or a sticky) for recording drums and such. i realize that there are many other forums for recording but they are by/for people who really are into recording not people who just need some basic help recording drums. it would be great if this topic didn't come up all the time.

Rodri

Hey man,

There are many ways, but I find this one very good:

Drums -> Mics -> Cables -> USB Audio Interface -> Computer (recording software)

I use 4 mics (2 overheads + snare + bass drum) connected directly into an "M-Audio Fast Track Ultra" interface and into Cubase 5 (program).

This way you can record multiple tracks separately. You can also buy a hi-quality recorder like a Zoon HQ3, and it has awesome quality, but you don't get multiple tracks.

Cheers!
That's a good idea, but i hanven't got an usb audio interface and i hhaven't got a recording sotware too, does adobe soundbooth works? Where can i get those things?

Last edited:

Xero Talent

Silver Member
That's a good idea, but i hanven't got an usb audio interface and i hhaven't got a recording sotware too, does adobe soundbooth works? Where can i get those things?
Audacity is free and easy to use. It also has a large user base and good documentation/tutorials around the web.

Rodri

Audacity is free and easy to use. It also has a large user base and good documentation/tutorials around the web.
Audacity? We used that at school at the 6th grade, i guess i remembe how to use it, thanks. And i may have found a good usb audio interface for 10€ on ebay.