How to re-flatten plastic muffling rings.

DrumDoug

I bought a set of Remo rings to really muffle my drums down for low volume gigs. The 13” ring won’t lay flat however. It was flat a first, but at the first gig I used it, I took it off at the end when things got a little louder and now it tries to twist into a figure 8. I tried to lay it on a flat surface and use a hair dryer to heat it up. That didn’t work. Any suggestions? I would just by another one but the 13s don’t come by themselves. I would have to buy a whole new pack.

I bought a set of Remo rings to really muffle my drums down for low volume gigs. The 13” ring won’t lay flat however. It was flat a first, but at the first gig I used it, I took it off at the end when things got a little louder and now it tries to twist into a figure 8. I tried to lay it on a flat surface and use a hair dryer to heat it up. That didn’t work. Any suggestions? I would just by another one but the 13s don’t come by themselves. I would have to buy a whole new pack.
You might want to cut the ring at one spot in it's circumference to relieve the tension it naturally gravitates toward. Then place some mylar tape over it to complete the circle for easy handling.

vtran711

You could cut a new one out from an old head. For me those tend to work better because they're thicker. I've never bought a set of rings, I've always just cut them out from worn heads (usually just for my snare). If you've done the heat thing, I'm not sure how you could get it to lay flat. That was going to be my suggestion.

I do the same thing. I have two old heads for my snare and I cut them with different hole sizes to vary the sound I'm trying to achieve. I generally like a little ring to my snare so most of the time I just have a single moon gel on the batter but some songs/situations/environments require more muffling than normal.