How to politely and professionally quit

Maybe you can try quitting like a notice I gave to a place where I once worked.
I walked into the office and said, "I'm giving my two-day notice, I'm quitting TO-DAY!!" And I walked right out the door. The looks on their faces will be remembered always.

This is exactly what NOT to do,unless you're quitting a news paper route,and you're 14.Like others have said,be short,direct,no lengthly discussion,and lastly,agree to honor your committment to play the EXISTING gigs,and not future ones,not yet booked.That's what responsible adults do.

Be a pro,look them in the eye,and be firm ,and DON"T leave them just hanging.Actions have consequenses,and what you do effects everybody in the band,not to mention your rep.which means a whole lot in the biz.

Steve B

Tell them you'd love to continue with the band, but that you got a call from the Rolling Stones management office and you'll be temporarily replacing Charlie Watts on the Stones' European leg of the tour and you'll be flying via private jet to catch up with them in 2 days time.

But tell them when the tour finishes, you'd love to keep hanging and jamming with them. And maybe even give them some black and white autograph pictures from Mick, Keith, and Ronnie....

...jk.... Grin.

Last edited:
In addition to what was already said, sandwich the bad news in between compliments.

Be classy, and never use the word you, always I.

I'm not feeling it anymore, not, you guys don't play the music I like.

Allow them to save face and be gracious and matter of fact.

Now if only I could follow my own advice lol.

The way I left my last band was very similar to what some have said.
Ironically I was playing bass then and it was the drummer (founding member) who was driving me nuts with his lack of preparation. I kept it simple, didn't bring up the lack of prep then, and said " You're all nice people, but I'm going in a different direction and I'll finish out any gigs that I committed to. That's all you have to say. Now if someone gets all pissy towards you, then it's OK to say I'm leaving now.

Be classy, and never use the word you, always I.

I'm not feeling it anymore, not, you guys don't play the music I like.
Wait, so you're saying instead of telling them, "You guys are jackasses, I quit!", what I should say is, "I'm feeling a lot of hate right now, I quit."?

Geez, that sounds really hard. lol

Or you could just drink yourself to death.. that has worked for quite a few drummers:) And is pretty final...

What's interesting is that band chemistry will always be very different depending upon the players involved. Someone who you thought completely sucked in one band ends up being the strongest player in your circle when put into another band with a different lineup. The intangible dynamics in any given situation are widely varied and that's where magic can occur.

But within this scenario the phrase "The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you gotta kiss tomorrow" applies. Always be nice.

This is so true.

My advise is to be positive, so the "Im not having a good time..." and "Its not you its me..." kinda stuff is leaving it too open to (the wrong) interpretation. It 'may' be true, say it, but be prepared to possibly be put into a therapist role.

Leave yourself in a positive light. "Im getting too busy..." or "Im starting my own project..." etc. You don't have time artistically for that specific band right now.

Then you don't come off like you don't want to play with them (they know (think) you do, you already are), and the reality already stated bing some wheels could turn and you might want to be involved (with some. or all) again later in some capacity.

You didn't make a bad choice by getting together with them is how you want to leave it, you're just busy with more pressing things... like your personal satisfaction.

Tell them that you caught wind of the mafia putting a hit out on you and you have to go into hiding.

As mentioned.. don't burn bridges. eg. a really good bass player got a bad reputation for suddenly quitting bands by storming out over some disagreement... just packs up the equipment and leaves! Real dumb move.. word gets around and no one wants to play with the guy.. hasn't gigged in 15+ years..

Wait, so you're saying instead of telling them, "You guys are jackasses, I quit!", what I should say is, "I'm feeling a lot of hate right now, I quit."?

Geez, that sounds really hard. lol

No, no...

You say "I'm feeling that you guys are mentally disabled jackasses right now, and I feel that I will quit".

Moral is, if you qualify it with "I feel", you can supposedly say damn near anything you like.

I would also like to note that when someone does that to me, I want to smack them for patronizing me like a child. The next step would be to ask them if they "feel" the slap.

No, no...

You say "I'm feeling that you guys are mentally disabled jackasses right now, and I feel that I will quit".

Moral is, if you qualify it with "I feel", you can supposedly say damn near anything you like.

I would also like to note that when someone does that to me, I want to smack them for patronizing me like a child. The next step would be to ask them if they "feel" the slap.

I feel this is an over reaction. Notice I didn't say I feel YOU are over reacting.

It separates the action from the person, allowing faces to be saved.

If we ever meet Watso, the first thing we'll do is have a slap fight and get that out of the way.

Then we'll go and get hammered like a piece of bronze in a Turkish foundry

Get hammered like a piece of bronze in a Turkish foundry

I think Istanbul cymbals should use that as their official tagline, and print it on the underside of every cymbal.

Re: How to politely and professionally

i was trying to upgrade my 1st purple item with the 1st hongmun item given to you buy the game but i accidentally used it to upgrade a non-max purple item.. i got confused and upgraded the wrong one. now how do i get back the hongmun weapon for forcemaaster so i can upgrade my maxed lvl 5 purple item?

b9bbb1c7d54c679252c5a278ee3d6840ecc00650606261e0a4fab093855c9bd5.jpg

Man, that post was as screwed up as a soup sandwich. I didn't understand ANY of it! Wow, I GOTTA start cutting back on the Capt. Morgan!!!!

Back