HOW TO PLAY LIKE HIM?

nedurpile

I've been trying to get into this playing style, specifically quick and syncopated ghost notes. What would be a good way to practice this?

VIDEO (JD Beck & DOMi)

If you must, rather than have your own style, seat slow and work on the speed. The recording is from Youtube, go to the settings and knock it down to 50% speed and practice until perfect. Then go to 75% speed and build up your playing.

Last edited:
If you must, rather than have your own style, start slow and work on the speed. The recording is from Youtube, go to the settings and knock it down to 50% speed and practice until perfect. Then go to 75% speed and build up your playing.
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick comes from practicing stuff slowly and then bringing it up to speed, nothing more or less.
To play fast(ish) 16ths with one hand you might need to work on how you make the stick rebound, the drummer in your video holds the right stick pretty far back and mostly uses is(her???) wrist which imo is pretty inefficient and definitely tires me out fast, a different approach would be keeping your hand pretty steady and using the rebound of the stick together with your pinky, fore- and possibly middle finger to make the back of the stick go up again, and another one would be moving your arm more and using a push-pull/moeller technique to accent every 8th.
Aside from the specific movements, which you will have to work on to see what's most comfortable and what works for you, it's just a matter of starting slowly, say 60bpm, playing a few grooves (Dante Agostini's Solfeggio Sincopato 2 has a section with a number of very nasty parts to read while keeping a steady pulse with the leading hand, as do a lot of other books).

His(her???) stuff in particular sounds either like rudiments, think Gadd's paradiddle groove at 2 or 3 times the tempo, or syncopated grooves played on the snare with the accent mostly falling on the 2nd or 4th quarter of each beat while the hh plays straight 16ths and the bass drum plays at the beginning of each bar and sometimes on the 3rd quarter.

Another way to practice this would be finding a lower level snare drum book, keeping a steady pulse on the hh, bd on 1 and 3 or each beat, and playing the snare drum part from the book accenting every note that falls on 2 and 4.
It may sound easy enough, though I think it's a great exercise if you want to build up your speed and be able to play intricate parts with just one hand on the snare.
If you must, rather than have your own style
Come on, one's own style is a mix of influences from a number of different styles/drummers/recordings, it's much more convenient to expand one's own horizons by listening to lots of stuff and learning to play this and that and these and those rather and everything else that sounds cool to add new licks and systems to one's toolbox than by trying not to imitate anyone else and being closed in one's own bubble.

Last edited:
Thats' some really interesting jazz I haven't been exposed to before. The internet has really opened my eyes to music I normally wouldn't have heard elsewhere.

Last edited:
I hope you have good technical ability, because it will be needed.

IMO, you have to feel things this way first...That would require listening to others that play in this style. A lot. I would think would be an essential part of the process, so you mentally have storehouses of things to emulate, or to outright steal even.

The style has to be ingrained to a point (by listening) where you are feeling the music in that style without trying. Immerse yourself in listening to the style is my best suggestion. The music is really cool

If you must, rather than have your own style, seat slow and work on the speed. The recording is from Youtube, go to the settings and knock it down to 50% speed and practice until perfect. Then go to 75% speed and build up your playing.

This. Play it slow. If you still can't play it well - play it slower. Once you've got it, speed it up in increments. The reason he sounds so good is that he's playing all of his hits well. With intention.

Back