How to notate hitting a drum with two sticks at the same time (NOT a flam)?

Uncle_MC

So wait.. When you guys chart stuff, you're not using to tail/stem up/down to hint the lead handedness of a note/phrase? You're literally writing R/L/U?

EDIT: I just realized that this might be a carryover from my guitar days where it is used to hint up/down stroke on the beginning of a phrase.
It is possible that you have seen this in drum music. The notation method of steps-up/down is common, if not standard, in Scottish pipe band music. It gives me a headache thinking about trying to read it that way though! 😓

teribus-jim-butler-copy.jpg

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I mean, I get flams, but I have no issues getting volume with one stick. Have you ever been double bounced on a trampoline? Because that is kinda what happens when you do this. Plus I have also seen it sound awful from time to time for the same reason that it cancels the drum from resonating.

Now, if you are a seasoned drummer, looking to get fancy and creative in your solos and want your own style (max could fall into this category) I say go ahead and get weird with it. As far as a book, if you are writing it for newer students, I see almost no point in teaching them to hit a drum with both sticks at the same time. Short of a pad exercise, or hitting 2 DIFFERENT drums at the same time, there is almost no point.

Just my opinion, but there is a reason it's not common in notation and you don't see anyone else teaching this.