How to make cheap cymbal stack sound good? [questiln]

Ikebongo

Looking to add a cymbal stack to my setup..

Trying to spend less than $200, I want it to sound like the Sabian XSR fast stax 13/16. Any good ideas how to build this cheaply?

Last edited:

vyacheslav

To me, all cymbal stacks sound pretty much the same. It's just a metallic rattle. I say get two of the cheapest (even broken) cymbals you can find and just throw them together. You're not going to hear any nuance or subtleties in a stack. You're not supposed to. It's just supposed to be trashy white noise and that's all.

Ikebongo

To me, all cymbal stacks sound pretty much the same. It's just a metallic rattle. I say get two of the cheapest (even broken) cymbals you can find and just throw them together. You're not going to hear any nuance or subtleties in a stack. You're not supposed to. It's just supposed to be trashy white noise and that's all.

I lucked out. I found like 5 cheap ass cymbals at guitar center for only $39 bucks!!!

V-Four

I lucked out. I found like 5 cheap ass cymbals at guitar center for only $39 bucks!!!

So, do they sound like you wanted? I am curious as to how the cheapos would sound for a stack (I know all too well how cheap cymbals sound as crashes/rides). I cant see paying big $$ on some expensive cymbals, just to stack 'em and have very "limited"(well, quick) stack sound.

T.

Ikebongo

So, do they sound like you wanted? I am curious as to how the cheapos would sound for a stack (I know all too well how cheap cymbals sound as crashes/rides). I cant see paying big $$ on some expensive cymbals, just to stack 'em and have very "limited"(well, quick) stack sound.

T.
My thoughts exactly unless you have the cash. They sound pretty darn good. I just have all 5 stacked right now, I believe it’s a 10”/12” splashes, 2 14” hh and I think like 16” crash. They sound like aluminum foil wrapped around a spoon when you hit them by themself but all together, not bad stacked. Still going to test different ways to stack them. Maybe I could get 2 stacks out of them.